Author Topic: First Look Inside Fukushima Reactor Revealed  (Read 4741 times)

rangerrebew

First Look Inside Fukushima Reactor Revealed
« on: July 22, 2017, 04:52:14 pm »
First Look Inside Fukushima Reactor Revealed
A small robot is the first to show the underwater ruins of one of the world's worst nuclear plant disasters.

By Sarah Gibbens

PUBLISHED July 21, 2017

A robot sent to explore the submerged ruins of Japan's Fukushima nuclear plant is offering a new look at the damage from one of history's worst nuclear disasters. The device nicknamed "Little Sunfish" found melted clumps of material that could be the fuel debris it was sent to locate, according to updates Friday.

After an earthquake struck near Japan on March 11, 2011, a tsunami spurred by the quake hit the nuclear plant, damaging generators and causing three nuclear meltdowns and the subsequent release of radioactive material. No radiation-related deaths have been reported, but nearly 100,000 homes had to be evacuated in the aftermath of the disaster.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/07/fukushima-nuclear-reactor-robot-clean-up-video-spd/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ng%2FNews%2FNews_Main+%28National+Geographic+News+-+Main%29
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 04:53:27 pm by rangerrebew »

Wingnut

Re: First Look Inside Fukushima Reactor Revealed
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 05:16:48 pm »
Posted as a PSA should the need arise.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 05:17:09 pm by Wingnut »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Mad Max

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 06:55:57 am »
I have been allowed to tour a nuclear power plant. Its very intimidating that you are standing next to a reactor if it exploded can cause massive damage.

Online DB

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 07:05:19 am »
I have been allowed to tour a nuclear power plant. Its very intimidating that you are standing next to a reactor if it exploded can cause massive damage.

@Mad Max Welcome aboard!

Mad Max

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 07:06:53 am »

This particular power plant is closed down because a Japanese company sold the plant faulty pipes that feed into the core. The core will be buried in reinforced "caskets' on the plant's grounds
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 07:11:36 am by Mad Max »

Mad Max

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 07:07:40 am »
@Mad Max Welcome aboard!

Thank you very much for the welcome.!!!

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 10:42:43 pm »

Light water reactors cannot explode. They can melt down if allowed to go too long without circulating coolant, but they cannot explode.

Mad Max

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 10:44:01 pm »
Light water reactors cannot explode. They can melt down if allowed to go too long without circulating coolant, but they cannot explode.

You are correct. But the reactors like San Onofre,El Diablo,Three Mile Island and Indian Springs can.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 10:45:33 pm by Mad Max »

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 10:49:20 pm »
You are correct. But the reactors like San Onofre,El Diablo,Three Mile Island and Indian Springs can.

No, they cannot. I've never heard of Indian Springs and El Diablo, but the  San Onofre was two Combustion Engineering PWR's and one Westinghouse PWR and TMI was two Babcox and Wilcox PWR's, all light water reactors.

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 10:50:40 pm »
No, they cannot. I've never heard of Indian Springs and El Diablo, but the  San Onofre was two Combustion Engineering PWR's and one Westinghouse PWR and TMI was two Babcox and Wilcox PWR's, all light water reactors.

Maybe he means Indian Point, in NY?

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 10:50:54 pm »
Indian Springs - Do you mean Indian Point in Upstate New York? If so, all three of those are Westinghouse PWR's.

Mad Max

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 10:52:49 pm »

I have been inside the control room of San Onofre and given the tour of the facility. I am very familiar with the reactor and the people who run it. El Diablo is managed by PG&E.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 10:54:03 pm by Mad Max »

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2017, 10:52:58 pm »
An El Diablo - Do you mean Diablo Canyon? If so that one is two Westinghouse PWR's. Again. NONE of these reactors can explode.

BTW....what plant had substandard Japanese piping installed???? That's a new on to me and I've been in the nuclear industry for almost 40 years.

Mad Max

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2017, 10:55:14 pm »
An El Diablo - Do you mean Diablo Canyon? If so that one is two Westinghouse PWR's. Again. NONE of these reactors can explode.

BTW....what plant had substandard Japanese piping installed???? That's a new on to me and I've been in the nuclear industry for almost 40 years.

San Onofre. They closed it down because it would be too expensive to rip out the faulty pipes and put in new ones.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 10:55:48 pm by Mad Max »

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2017, 10:55:20 pm »
I have been inside the control roolm of San Onofre and given the tour of the facility. I am very familiar with the reactor and the people who run it.

I've worked in the control rooms and the whole plant of over 20 different plants in the US, Brazil, and Mexico, including San Onofre. None of them area capable of exploding.

Mad Max

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2017, 10:56:50 pm »
I've worked in the control rooms and the whole plant of over 20 different plants in the US, Brazil, and Mexico, including San Onofre. None of them area capable of exploding.

In 1979, Three Mile Island had that little incident. Do you remember?

Oceander

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2017, 10:59:02 pm »
In 1979, Three Mile Island had that little incident. Do you remember?

Three Mile Island was a reactor meltdown, not a reactor explosion.

Oceander

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2017, 10:59:37 pm »

If you worked there and he took the tour, perhaps you ran into each other?

:bigsilly:

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2017, 11:00:08 pm »
San Onofre. They closed it down because it would be too expensive to rip out the bad pipes and put in new ones.

Wrong!

Mitsubishi screwed up on the  replacement Steam Generators, specifically the upper part that separates the water from the steam. Specifically, when the plant got above 30% power, flow induced vibration went out of specified limits and the plant was limited to about 70% power without fixing the problem. It would have paid off for the plant to fix the problem, BUT the state of Californicatia officially hates nuclear power and bribed/threatened SoCal Edison to shut it down. The settlement money from the messed up steam generators would have paid for fixing the problem

Mad Max

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2017, 11:00:32 pm »
Three Mile Island was a reactor meltdown, not a reactor explosion.
Chernobyl had its roof blown out spreading radiation

Mad Max

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2017, 11:01:33 pm »
Wrong!

Mitsubishi screwed up on the  replacement Steam Generators, specifically the upper part that separates the water from the steam. Specifically, when the plant got above 30% power, flow induced vibration went out of specified limits and the plant was limited to about 70% power without fixing the problem. It would have paid off for the plant to fix the problem, BUT the state of Californicatia officially hates nuclear power and bribed/threatened SoCal Edison to shut it down. The settlement money from the messed up steam generators would have paid for fixing the problem

You were not at the facility.

Oceander

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2017, 11:01:34 pm »
Chernobyl had its roof blown out spreading radiation

Yes, but last I heard, Chernobyl wasn't located in the U.S.

Mad Max

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2017, 11:02:32 pm »
Yes, but last I heard, Chernobyl wasn't located in the U.S.

That is why there are containment domes to prevent for things from happening in the U.S. Chernolbyl did not have the same saftey standards we have here
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 11:03:14 pm by Mad Max »

Oceander

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2017, 11:02:43 pm »
You were not at the facility.

You know this for sure?  He did just say that he's worked there before.