Author Topic: Fishing Pond Construction- Suggestions Welcome  (Read 4046 times)

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Fishing Pond Construction- Suggestions Welcome
« on: July 22, 2017, 01:16:14 pm »
Hey Briefers...

I am in the pre-planning phase of construction of a 1 1/2- 2 ac. fishing pound in my pleasant haunts.  As  I approach old age, I hope/think it will be a convenient outlet for my fishing habit, as trips to the lakes are likely to be less frequent.  Also the thought of not have TPW reps badgering me for my little 3 x 5 license is highly appealing .  To me fishing is God granted gift, that a government making people pay for is an infringement of our primal rights.

My question is ...  has anyone else gone through this?  Pifalls?  Suggestions?  From what I am reading, I should be expecting to shell out close to $50-75K for excavation, contouring, fill gravel, stocking etc.  Want to learn for others mistake.  Looking at it as a 2018 - 2019 project.

By 2020-2021, hope to be catching bass/bream.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline thackney

Re: Fishing Pond Construction- Suggestions Welcome
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 01:21:28 pm »
pond bkmk

I have no info to share.  But I'm planning a smaller, simpler pond, maybe one acre.  It may be a year or two before we start.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 01:21:44 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 01:27:37 pm »
pond bkmk

I have no info to share.  But I'm planning a smaller, simpler pond, maybe one acre.  It may be a year or two before we start.

Water source for livestock?  Any plans for fish?  Shallower tank like that might be nice digs for a few catfish.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 03:19:18 pm »
Water source for livestock?  Any plans for fish?  Shallower tank like that might be nice digs for a few catfish.

The cows will get in it.  We have a slough crossing the property.  Previous owner (and current neighbor) dug a big ditch across it and his.  My side is dug out 30~50 by 350 ft, guessing 4~6 deep.

It is overgrown with trees.  I plan to clear most of them out then enlarge it.  Mostly for looks.  I'm going to bring it south up closer to the horse riding arena. 

https://goo.gl/maps/oahdEefzUaB2

I'll get some fish in it but I'm not a fisherman.  I want it deep enough hold water during the droughts that will eventually be back.  I've got some shallow wells which might eventually be used to water a stock tank with a windmill and overflow to the pond, but that is far down the road, if ever.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 03:25:26 pm »
My buddy did a pond years ago and loved to crappie fish. He left alot of trees and brush in one section for habitat. Went fishing one time, we pulled out 10 inchers plus one after another. Bass and others liked it too.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 03:31:25 pm »
Have you thought of buying a used dozer and excavating yourself, or hiring a driver, and selling the dozer afterwards?

Offline thackney

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 03:34:12 pm »
Have you thought of buying a used dozer and excavating yourself, or hiring a driver, and selling the dozer afterwards?

I've had those thoughts.  But I find my available time non-existent for the projects I've already started.

I also need to restore some long drainage ditches that are silted in to improve the pasture I bought.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 03:35:18 pm by thackney »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 03:56:03 pm »
Check out the Permit Information Manual here:  http://www.sjrwmd.com/handbooks/erphandbook.html

There's a lot of nonsense you don't need, but on about Page 77 there is a pond typical cross-section that may be helpful.  You can also scroll through to find other recommended typical cross-sections.  Then once you look at them if you have any questions let me know.

Offline thackney

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 04:06:30 pm »
Check out the Permit Information Manual here:  http://www.sjrwmd.com/handbooks/erphandbook.html

There's a lot of nonsense you don't need, but on about Page 77 there is a pond typical cross-section that may be helpful.  You can also scroll through to find other recommended typical cross-sections.  Then once you look at them if you have any questions let me know.

Info like that was why I bookmarked the thread for future reference.  Thanks for helping.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 04:12:15 pm »

I'll get some fish in it but I'm not a fisherman.  I want it deep enough hold water during the droughts that will eventually be back.  I've got some shallow wells which might eventually be used to water a stock tank with a windmill and overflow to the pond, but that is far down the road, if ever.

If you expect the stock to stir up the tank regularily , and it appears to be planned to be built relatively shallow, I still think standard pond fingerling Channel Catfish and some flatheads are your best bet.

They'll handle the lower O2 content better, and will give you some pond bottom organic debris removal advantages.  OTOH, I am not sure of the grade of your tank, but elder catfish tend to burrow in walls.  (Git yer noodlin glove out  :silly:)

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 04:16:39 pm »
Unless you have really good first hand knowledge of historic ground water elevations it might be worth your time to hire a geotech engineer to take some core samples in the area of where your pond is going.  That takes the guess work out of how far you need to dig down to have a permanent pool during your drier times of the year. 

Also, depending on your area you may be able to sell the fill that comes out from the pond dig. Ooorrrrrr....you could use it to build a shooting range on property :)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 04:21:06 pm »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 04:21:32 pm »

I've got some shallow wells which might eventually be used to water a stock tank with a windmill and overflow to the pond,

Mine will be out in the middle of the piney woods, so I am skeptical of consistent breezes that would useful for a windmill.  And I am close to 2000 feet from the nearest electrical power.  (nope)

For a water supplement I am thinking or leaning toward a solar panel cell for a shallow well pump.  Solar seems to be working well for my gate opener, so I'm interested in that diretion.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 04:37:21 pm »
Mine will be out in the middle of the piney woods, so I am skeptical of consistent breezes that would useful for a windmill.  And I am close to 2000 feet from the nearest electrical power.  (nope)

For a water supplement I am thinking or leaning toward a solar panel cell for a shallow well pump.  Solar seems to be working well for my gate opener, so I'm interested in that diretion.

My husband recently converted our deep well pump for the water for our house to solar.  We have a 2.5 hp pump and require 8 batteries and 4 solar panels to have enough power to have water on demand any time we want. 

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2017, 04:43:34 pm »
If your water table is low enough, you just need to dig down to it. I read an article many moons ago in Field and Stream about using ammonium nitrate/fuel oil to create mini-duck habitats in marshy areas.

I couldn't find the article, but I found this one: http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/publication/34473-ammonium-nitrate-blasting-agent/joanen_t._1966._wetlands_habitat_improvement-ammonium_nitrate_blasting_agent.__la._conservationist.pdf

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2017, 04:54:45 pm »
My husband recently converted our deep well pump for the water for our house to solar.  We have a 2.5 hp pump and require 8 batteries and 4 solar panels to have enough power to have water on demand any time we want.

Thanks.  Our potable water pump (for watering and landscaping only) is like 440' deep.  I didn't know solar could produce power for a pump head pressure to that level.   That makes me much  more comfortable that my solar shallow well will feed my pond pretty easily.  And with quite a bit less horsepower.

Given a SHTF scenario, do you mind telling how much it cost to convert the well from electrical to solar?  How about maintenance, reliability issues?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2017, 05:14:48 pm »
Don't you run the risk of the EPA designating your pond a "wetland" or "Navigable water?"
============================================================================

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 06:01:07 pm by catfish1957 »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline thackney

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2017, 05:21:31 pm »

I've considered solar as well because of heavy trees on neighbor property.  Thanks for the other info.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2017, 06:01:29 pm »
Don't you run the risk of the EPA designating your pond a "wetland" or "Navigable water?"
============================================================================
First COE (Corp of Engineers) is the regulatory agency for wetlands.

Near 40 years of environmental work here.  Wetland delineation is an issue only if you are disturbing a wetland.  In my case my locale for digging will be among pine knolls rich with pine, gum, oak.  clayish soils, and no standing waters.  There are back areas of the property (what we call bottomlands) that might, repeat might meet the COE designation....   but without a true evil eye from the bugs and bunnies guys, I wouldn't bet on it.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 06:01:46 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2017, 06:01:33 pm »
Thanks.  Our potable water pump (for watering and landscaping only) is like 440' deep.  I didn't know solar could produce power for a pump head pressure to that level.   That makes me much  more comfortable that my solar shallow well will feed my pond pretty easily.  And with quite a bit less horsepower.

Given a SHTF scenario, do you mind telling how much it cost to convert the well from electrical to solar?  How about maintenance, reliability issues?

Hubby is an electrical engineer so all labor was "free".  Materials were in the $5k range and it's been a bit of a trial and error process to get 100% reliability, which we aren't quite there yet, but have the extra panels and misc to get us there.  His initial design was just 2 panels, but that would only run us for about 3 days before depleting and doing an auto switch to electric power.  He wasn't sure if use was a little more than he estimated or panels aren't quite as efficient as they claim or we weren't getting quite the sun hours per the research info.  Refiguring after running for a few months he thinks we need the 2 additional panels to keep the batteries topped off to keep us on solar 100%.  I don't know the details of how many sun hours we need to fully charge the batteries, so I don't know how many days we can run with low sun.  For example, one of the hurricanes that came through about 12 years ago now gave us a few days of cloud cover.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2017, 06:25:27 pm »
First COE (Corp of Engineers) is the regulatory agency for wetlands.

Near 40 years of environmental work here.  Wetland delineation is an issue only if you are disturbing a wetland.  In my case my locale for digging will be among pine knolls rich with pine, gum, oak.  clayish soils, and no standing waters.  There are back areas of the property (what we call bottomlands) that might, repeat might meet the COE designation....   but without a true evil eye from the bugs and bunnies guys, I wouldn't bet on it.

You obviously know what you're talking about, and this is far, far from my wheelhouse, so I wish you the best and a well-stocked pond!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2017, 08:37:36 pm »
Hey Briefers...

I am in the pre-planning phase of construction of a 1 1/2- 2 ac. fishing pound in my pleasant haunts.  As  I approach old age, I hope/think it will be a convenient outlet for my fishing habit, as trips to the lakes are likely to be less frequent.  Also the thought of not have TPW reps badgering me for my little 3 x 5 license is highly appealing .  To me fishing is God granted gift, that a government making people pay for is an infringement of our primal rights.

My question is ...  has anyone else gone through this?  Pifalls?  Suggestions?  From what I am reading, I should be expecting to shell out close to $50-75K for excavation, contouring, fill gravel, stocking etc.  Want to learn for others mistake.  Looking at it as a 2018 - 2019 project.

By 2020-2021, hope to be catching bass/bream.

Off topic... government interference in fishing is inevitable unless you want to catch nothing but sunnies.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2017, 08:51:04 pm »
Unless you have really good first hand knowledge of historic ground water elevations it might be worth your time to hire a geotech engineer to take some core samples in the area of where your pond is going.  That takes the guess work out of how far you need to dig down to have a permanent pool during your drier times of the year. 

Also, depending on your area you may be able to sell the fill that comes out from the pond dig. Ooorrrrrr....you could use it to build a shooting range on property :)
I like the way you think  888high58888
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2017, 09:29:16 pm »
What is your water source @catfish1957

I don't know much about building a pond. But I know farmers around here will coat the bottom of their irrigation ponds with Bentonite to slow down water loss.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2017, 09:53:29 pm »
What is your water source @catfish1957

I don't know much about building a pond. But I know farmers around here will coat the bottom of their irrigation ponds with Bentonite to slow down water loss.

That's a fact... A couple acres is too big for a liner, so Bentonite is next. And that's the biggest thing to worry over, at least around here.. getting it to hold water. I dunno much about it down in Texas but I hear there's a hard pan not too far down in places that sets like iron.

The next biggest is aeration... either a natural inlet and outflow, or a mechanical means, with a pump and a creek-bed, or a fountain, I suppose, that you can operate when needed, or it will go stagnant.