Author Topic: Hawaii seeks to prepare residents for threat of nuclear missile strike from North Korea  (Read 1612 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Hawaii seeks to prepare residents for threat of nuclear missile strike from North Korea
Thursday, July 20th 2017, 6:43 pm CDT
Friday, July 21st 2017, 9:07 pm CDT
By HNN Staff

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) -

The Hawaii Emergency Management Agency is kicking off an educational campaign aimed at helping residents and visitors figure out what to do if the state is the target of a nuclear missile attack from North Korea.

Hawaii is the first state to prepare the public for the possibility of a ballistic missile strike.

The state's emergency management agency said the threat to the islands from the rogue nation is "currently assessed to be low."

more
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/35936105/hawaii-to-kick-off-campaign-to-help-residents-visitors-plan-for-missile-attack-from-north-korea
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Night Hides Not

As a former Army-trained Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical warfare officer (ok, it was one of my extra duties as a platoon leader), I can confidently say they can't do anything to prepare for a nuclear strike.

Megaton plus nukes will vaporize every thing within a radius of 15 miles or more. The missile's flight time would be in the 30 minute range.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Wingnut

As a former Army-trained Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical warfare officer (ok, it was one of my extra duties as a platoon leader), I can confidently say they can't do anything to prepare for a nuclear strike.

Megaton plus nukes will vaporize every thing within a radius of 15 miles or more. The missile's flight time would be in the 30 minute range.

I was thinking the same thing. Pointless!      Did they break out the old "Duck And Cover" 16mm movies and convert them to DVD? 

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 05:05:05 pm by Wingnut »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

I was wondering if there was anything they could do.  Thanks,

Wingnut

I was wondering if there was anything they could do.  Thanks,

Besides bending over and kissing their ass goodbye?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Besides bending over and kissing their ass goodbye?

Exactly.  They would have time for that. 

Offline Victoria33

As a former Army-trained Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical warfare officer (ok, it was one of my extra duties as a platoon leader), I can confidently say they can't do anything to prepare for a nuclear strike.  Megaton plus nukes will vaporize every thing within a radius of 15 miles or more. The missile's flight time would be in the 30 minute range.
@Night Hides Not

The people not melted into the earth or vaporized need the book I am writing about living through an emergency.  One chapter is "Medical Supplies and Patient Care".

North Korea is going to send a nuke somewhere just because "he can".  That ruler has no problem killing his family and others so he has no conscience at all.  People are just "things" to him.

Offline Night Hides Not

Let us know when it's published, please.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
@Night Hides Not

The people not melted into the earth or vaporized need the book I am writing about living through an emergency.  One chapter is "Medical Supplies and Patient Care".

North Korea is going to send a nuke somewhere just because "he can".  That ruler has no problem killing his family and others so he has no conscience at all.  People are just "things" to him.

When I was in HS we had to read "Hiroshima" by John Hershey. I'll never forget the images of flowers burnt into women's skin from their kimonos they were wearing.
That and a short story by Ray Bradbury where people's shadows were on the walls of the house from where they were vaporized from an atomic attack.

I think I'd want to be at ground zero for an atomic attack I don't think I'd want to survive - not today's bombs. I wouldn't want to die from radiation poisoning.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I was thinking the same thing. Pointless!      Did they break out the old "Duck And Cover" 16mm movies and convert them to DVD? 

He's on YouTube....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWGoVZF0jik
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

Everything would depend on being on one of the other islands (besides the one which got hit). I doubt the Morks will send anything over with more than a 1.5 MT yield, if they can get that. If the big island got hit and you were on one of the outer islands, you'd have a fair chance of surviving until supplies ran out, and that should take a while if the tourists aren't too thick and you can fish.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline The_Reader_David

Everyone always thinks of the pointlessness of preparations for those close to the nuclear detonation.  The effects both of the blast and of radiation fall of by the inverse square law.  For any given size of nuclear weapon, there is a range of distances in which the old "duck and cover" routine would actually be beneficial in saving one from structural damage to one's building or flying debris outside.  And no, not everyone in that radius will die of radiation sickness anyway (cf. survivors at Hiroshima and Nagasaki, including one bloke, very unlucky or very lucky depending on your view, who survived both).

By all means, let's mock civil defense preparations so that the number of casualties is increased because no one ducks and covers. /sarcasm
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 06:20:44 pm by The_Reader_David »
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Wingnut

He's on YouTube....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWGoVZF0jik]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWGoVZF0jik[/url]

Bert was cool!

Operation Castle - Nectar - Detonation
Author: Federal Government of the United States.
Date: 5 April 1954

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpRAwkr-bKw&ab_channel=LQP
Operation Castle produced a yield of 1.69 megatons. Note the distinctive near instantaneous double flash, with the second being brighter than the sun, and the blast wave slowly, by comparison, spreading out turning the calm Elugelab ocean water a frothy white as it passes. The maximum average nuclear fireball radius is approximately 1.3 to 1.5 km (0.81 to 0.93 mi).[6] The outdoor blast and thermal burn LD50s would be 8 and 12 km respectively.[6][7] Assuming personnel did not take any prompt countermeasures.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 06:24:52 pm by Wingnut »

Offline Smokin Joe

Current inventory W-78 warheads are the ones on US ICBMs, for example, and have a projected yield of between 335 and 350 KT, quite a bit less than the Castle Nectar device. Most of the really high yield tests were run with devices which were then (and still) too large to effectively mount on an ICBM, although the W-78's can be set up on a three warhead bus on a Minuteman III and still be delivered.

Treaty considerations limit what is doable more than technology, and with a three warhead bus, that's still about 1MT of yield on the missile.

Assuming (and that's a lot, but worst case and all that) that the DPRK could deliver a device with a 1.5 MT yield to the islands with an ICBM, and that if functioned efficiently (full yield, no fizzle), it could be one heck of a mess on that island. If it detonated at or above ground level which ever island was in the center of that would be pretty well wiped, depending on terrain shadowing effects. There would be survivors on outer islands, though (Hawaii is a chain of islands, not just one, but hundreds of smaller islands and the eight larger ones, seven of which are inhabited full time) and likely on the island that got hit as well.  It would be nasty, though, for anyone there.

C S Lewis

Offline Night Hides Not

Everyone always thinks of the pointlessness of preparations for those close to the nuclear detonation.  The effects both of the blast and of radiation fall of by the inverse square law.  For any given size of nuclear weapon, there is a range of distances in which the old "duck and cover" routine would actually be beneficial in saving one from structural damage to one's building or flying debris outside.  And no, not everyone in that radius will die of radiation sickness anyway (cf. survivors at Hiroshima and Nagasaki, including one bloke, very unlucky or very lucky depending on your view, who survived both).

By all means, let's mock civil defense preparations so that the number of casualties is increased because no one ducks and covers. /sarcasm

You almost had me!!!  Lol

Offline rodamala

When I was in HS we had to read "Hiroshima" by John Hershey. I'll never forget the images of flowers burnt into women's skin from their kimonos they were wearing.
That and a short story by Ray Bradbury where people's shadows were on the walls of the house from where they were vaporized from an atomic attack.

I think I'd want to be at ground zero for an atomic attack I don't think I'd want to survive - not today's bombs. I wouldn't want to die from radiation poisoning.

@Freya

I was just reading about some of the Operation Ivy and Operation Castle testing and found this:

Vaporization myths

Nobody has ever been "vaporised" by thermal radiation from a nuclear explosion, e.g. in Hiroshima even at ground zero you're talking about 100 calories per square centimetre in the open.  Useful information: heat of vaporization of water = 2257 J/g = 540 calories/gram.  Density of water or skin (70% water) = 1 gram/cubic centimetre.

Therefore, 100 calories per square centimetre (ground zero Hiroshima) is only enough energy to vaporize a layer of water or skin 100/540 = 0.185 cm thick, or 1.85 mm thick.

In fact, even less will be vaporized because some heat is reflected by the skin, and some is absorbed by clothing.  If clothing ignites, it can be extinguished easily by rolling it out.  Remember, contrary to propaganda, thermally ignited clothing is easier to extinguish than petrol soaked clothing in peacetime car accident victims.  The 1946 U.S. Strategic Bombing Survey report documents the fact that clothing ignition could be beaten out.

The main danger in cities is not from thermal radiation or fires, because modern city buildings absorb almost all of the thermal and much of the nuclear radiation.  So the really widespread danger is flying glass and blast winds, which are dealt with by duck and cover on seeing the bright flash, which arrives prior to the blast wave.

http://glasstone.blogspot.co.at/2011/05/declassified-data-on-structures-exposed.html?m=1

Offline dfwgator

Maybe it will be just in time for Christmas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t039p6xqutU

Offline Smokin Joe

C S Lewis

Offline Suppressed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrbv40ENU_o

"Once zee rockets go up, who cares where zey come down...zat's not my depahrtment, says Werner von Braun!"
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Oceander

It's a shame that all prior administrations republican and democrat, let the situation get to this pass, where US citizens have to practice duck and cover again. 

Offline Smokin Joe

"Once zee rockets go up, who cares where zey come down...zat's not my depahrtment, says Werner von Braun!"
They're calling it premature brennschluss. (Thomas Pynchon)

C S Lewis

Wingnut

Do we really need Hawaii anymore?  We could let it go in a flash. 

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Do we really need Hawaii anymore?  We could let it go in a flash.

I figured their preparedness was handing out a pair of eclipse glasses and a bag of wowie.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Wingnut

I figured their preparedness was handing out a pair of eclipse glasses and a bag of wowie.

Maui Wowie.   Top notch back in the day.