Author Topic: US Owns 700 Million Barrels of Oil. Trump Wants to Sell It  (Read 710 times)

Offline thackney

US Owns 700 Million Barrels of Oil. Trump Wants to Sell It
« on: July 21, 2017, 06:36:23 pm »
US Owns 700 Million Barrels of Oil. Trump Wants to Sell It
http://www.rigzone.com/news/oil_gas/a/151102/US_Owns_700_Million_Barrels_of_Oil_Trump_Wants_to_Sell_It
July 21, 2017

The weather was hot and humid on July 21, 1977, the day the U.S. government began stockpiling oil. It started small. Just 412,000 barrels of Saudi Arabian light crude stashed in a Southeast Texas salt cavern. In the wake of the Arab oil embargo, which sent prices through the roof and forced Americans to ration gasoline, creating a national reserve seemed like an obvious way to protect U.S. consumers from global supply shocks.

“It’s hard to imagine if you weren’t there,’’ said John Herrington, the Energy secretary under President Ronald Reagan, who pushed to expand the reserve in the 1980s. “We were lining up at gas stations. We were turning down our thermostats.’’

Forty years later, the world has changed, and Washington is torn on whether the Strategic Petroleum Reserve has outlived its usefulness. The U.S. is awash in crude, imports are declining, yet the stockpile remains the largest in world, ballooning to nearly 700 million barrels of crude, enough to offset U.S. production for more than two months, stored in some 60 caverns in Texas and Louisiana.

In light of these changes, Herrington’s position has shifted. “I don’t see the need for a petroleum reserve now,’’ he said.

Shrinking Reserves
The government is far from united on the matter. The Energy Department this year kicked off a $2 billion, multiyear effort to upgrade the reserve and improve its ability to distribute oil during an emergency. President Donald Trump, on the other hand, wants to sell part of the reserve, a plan that lawmakers for now have ignored. So the hoard, and the salt caves, remain.

The caverns themselves are a marvel. For all the disputation in Washington, the place is eerily quiet. At Bryan Mound, about 60 miles south of Houston, the salty breeze from the Gulf of Mexico rustles through knee-high sea grass.

Bryan Mound is the largest of four reserve locations on the coast of Texas and Louisiana, able to hold about 247 million barrels of crude underground.

On the surface is a blue sign identifying Cavern 5 and a patch of cement. Two thousand feet (610 meters) below, a sprawling cave begins to open. Originally created by underground sulfur mining, the cavity twists and bloats another 2,000 feet down. Cavern 5 can hold about 37 million barrels of oil, the largest single accumulation of stored oil anywhere in the world.

The caverns are more cost-efficient than smaller above-ground storage tanks. When oil is pumped in, the saltwater is pushed out. To empty the oil, workers simply pump the saltwater back in.

That’s what’s happening now. The stockpile is shrinking....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

Re: US Owns 700 Million Barrels of Oil. Trump Wants to Sell It
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 06:41:22 pm »

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 08:44:33 pm »
Things have a way of changing fast, without warning.

I do not agree with selling oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve.

It is called the Strategic Petroleum Reserve for a reason.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 10:35:42 pm »
Things have a way of changing fast, without warning.

I do not agree with selling oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve.

It is called the Strategic Petroleum Reserve for a reason.

That's right. They should be looking to buy more while it's cheap... not sell while it's cheap, only to buy later again (while it's expensive, no doubt)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 10:56:17 pm »
I always am suspicious of an energy article that quotes from someone who served for Jimmy Carter, who was the most zero of all the Energy-Prognosticators to be in charge of our energy policy.

from article

Economic Illiterates’
“We ought to dispose of the Strategic Petroleum Reserve because we’ve never figured out how to use it in a crisis,’’ said Philip Verleger, an economist who led the Treasury Department’s Office of Energy Policy under President Jimmy Carter and is now the head of an eponymous Carbondale, Colorado-based consulting firm. “The economic illiterates at the Energy Department say it works. But they haven’t used it when they needed to.

A resource of this doctor is that he publicly makes mistakes with impunity
Oops... Oil Expert Admits Mistake After Demanding That EIA Heads Roll
http://oilpro.com/post/13067/ooops-oil-expert-admits-mistake-after-demanding-eia-heads-roll

Another resource has him predicting in 2011 we should be paying $300 per barrel right now.

Blundering to $300 per bbl
https://www.pkverlegerllc.com/assets/documents/110621_Haskayne_CEM.pdf

Can we really believe a guy who is wrong at every turn yet is an 'expert' at energy policy?

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 11:00:53 pm »
That's right. They should be looking to buy more while it's cheap... not sell while it's cheap, only to buy later again (while it's expensive, no doubt)

The Gov Buy's high and sells cheep!   It's how they roll.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 11:03:20 pm »
One of the ways Bill Clinton twisted the economic numbers to make it look like he ran a surplus. He sold 1/2 the nation's strategic petroleum reserve. Republicans were up in arms at the time. Let's see how it goes now with a different letter behind the name.

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 12:31:14 am »
One of the ways Bill Clinton twisted the economic numbers to make it look like he ran a surplus. He sold 1/2 the nation's strategic petroleum reserve. Republicans were up in arms at the time. Let's see how it goes now with a different letter behind the name.

Not half, a tiny fraction.

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=WCSSTUS1&f=W

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 05:47:41 am »
Not half, a tiny fraction.

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=WCSSTUS1&f=W

You are right, my bad. That's what I get for trying to remember it versus checking. Clinton's sale was a small fraction, about 5% (and Republicans didn't like that). http://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/Clinton-to-Tap-Oil-Reserve-Move-will-release-30-2704329.php

I was confusing that with Trump's proposal to sell 50% of the reserve. http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/05/23/trump-wants-to-sell-half-the-u-s-strategic-oil-reserve-for-more-cash-petroleum-energy-budget/

Offline thackney

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 01:05:42 pm »
You are right, my bad. That's what I get for trying to remember it versus checking. Clinton's sale was a small fraction, about 5% (and Republicans didn't like that). http://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/Clinton-to-Tap-Oil-Reserve-Move-will-release-30-2704329.php

I was confusing that with Trump's proposal to sell 50% of the reserve. http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/05/23/trump-wants-to-sell-half-the-u-s-strategic-oil-reserve-for-more-cash-petroleum-energy-budget/

I can accept selling small amounts to pay for upgrades to the SPR facilities as some have suggested.  But selling our "insurance policy" to pay for other overspending is ludicrous.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 02:46:39 pm »
Precisely my observation. BUY low, SELL high. But government seems to do the exact opposite.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis