Author Topic: Was That Racist?  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Was That Racist?
« on: July 21, 2017, 05:36:55 pm »
Adeel Hassan and others
The New York Times
July 19, 2017

... Not So Black and White

A barista had just finished preparing an order and then called out “tall, black Marques; tall, black Marques.” Marques, a 6-foot-2 African-American man who works for a demolition company based in Colorado, stood bewildered by what seemed to be a racially charged incident inside a Starbucks.

After realizing the misunderstanding — “tall, black” was referring to the coffee, not the person ordering it — he laughed and defused the situation with a joke: “That’s me, tall black Marques!”

Everyday life brings awkward moments for everyone, but some of our daily stories are infused with added tension, especially if one or more of those involved perceive that race is a determining factor.

We collected three more experiences from colleagues — on the sidewalks of New York, at a restaurant in Kansas City, Mo., and in the business world. Each case carries a different degree of clarity, and what took place can be a matter of perception...

Full article

This might be intended as an ongoing feature at the NYT.

You can sign up for the Race/Related newsletter. Also, there's a form where you can share your experiences with racism or perceived racism.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 05:37:25 pm by Machiavelli »

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Re: Was That Racist?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 05:48:56 pm »
I don't allow white people to lecture me on racism. It just isn't going to fly.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
NY Times reporter accuses white women of racism on city sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 06:02:55 pm »
NY Times reporter accuses white women of racism on city sidewalks

Joe Concha
The Hill
July 21, 2017

The New York Times is facing blowback on social media after publishing an essay by an African-American reporter who accused white women of racism for not ceding space on city sidewalks to black men. 

In a Wednesday essay titled "Was That Racist," reporter Greg Howard singled out white women for forcing him "off the sidewalk completely" when walking toward him, not allowing a straight path.
More

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 07:38:32 pm »
I don't allow white people to lecture me on racism. It just isn't going to fly.

I don't allow people with a chip on their shoulder (or a conflict of interest) to lecture me on anything, which means in most cases, I'm not all that into listening to a lecture on race from a black person, either.   :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Wingnut

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 07:57:56 pm »
Several weeks ago on my bike ride across MO there was a group of middle aged Black guys riding together.  We would talk at the SAG stops and at the overnight stops and such. On the last day I was boarding the motor coach that would take us back to the car I saw two of the guys sitting in the front row of the bus without even thinking I went into my Bob Eucker Miller lite voice and Said "Great seats, Must Be In The Front Row".   They both gave me the stink eye.   

Oh well.  F em if they can't take a joke. 

Silver Pines

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 11:51:03 pm »
Several weeks ago on my bike ride across MO there was a group of middle aged Black guys riding together.  We would talk at the SAG stops and at the overnight stops and such. On the last day I was boarding the motor coach that would take us back to the car I saw two of the guys sitting in the front row of the bus without even thinking I went into my Bob Eucker Miller lite voice and Said "Great seats, Must Be In The Front Row".   They both gave me the stink eye.   

Oh well.  F em if they can't take a joke.

@Wingnut

LOL 

A couple of years ago I was in a doctor's waiting room---a large place, lots of seats.  Well, you know how racist we are in the South, right?  A white guy with a New York or New Jersey accent started arguing with a black woman, and he yelled---I swear it---"Why don't you go back to Africa?"  BOOM---room went silent.  You could have heard a pin drop, and a couple of nurses came out to defuse the situation.

The black woman came over and took a seat across from me.  I looked up and happened to catch her eye, and we both broke out laughing.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 10:25:29 am »

A couple of years ago I was in a doctor's waiting room---a large place, lots of seats.  Well, you know how racist we are in the South, right?  A white guy with a New York or New Jersey accent started arguing with a black woman, and he yelled---I swear it---"Why don't you go back to Africa?"  BOOM---room went silent.  You could have heard a pin drop, and a couple of nurses came out to defuse the situation.

The black woman came over and took a seat across from me.  I looked up and happened to catch her eye, and we both broke out laughing.

A quick history side note - In the period just prior to the Civil War tensions were obviously high on all sides of the slavery debate (there were more than two sides of the debate).  But regardless of which side you happened to favor there were certain assumptions being made by all.  Namely, if the slaves were freed the assumption was they would go back to Africa or somewhere in the Caribbean.

No one really knew how this migration would take place but that was a detail to sort out later.  The main point being everyone assumed wrong.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 11:13:31 am »
A not-so-quick history side note: thought I'd add an interesting perspective.

Most of the "truths" taught in schools are far from it.  For example, the Founders debated the slavery issue ferociously.  A few Founders argued purely on moral grounds, every human has certain God-given rights, etc.  But most of the debate between the colonies centered around the economics of slavery.  In the end they were forced to punt on the issue as the impasse held the potential to derail the entire Constitutional Convention.  They simply set the issue aside.

The Constitutional Convention took place in the 1780's.  By the 1790's an invention would dramatically alter the slavery debate.  Eli Whitney's cotton engine (shortened to gin) allowed cotton in the South to be de-seeded by machine.  Therefore, fewer human hands (slaves) were needed to prepare a bale of cotton for market.  In turn, those in the South softened their stance on the slavery issue for economic reasons.  As the demand for slaves diminished dramatically in the South their human hands were increasingly required in Northern states.

Expansion into the plains states meant a great deal more wheat production, which was harvested by hand.  Two men swinging hand scythes could harvest about an acre per day.  The rapid "taming" of the prairies demanded many more human hands, if only seasonally.

In the 1830's when McCormick's machine reaper hit the market two men could easily harvest 7-10 acres in a day.  The invention therefore reduced the demand for hand labor in the North just as the cotton gin had done in the South a few decades earlier.  Soon the North too began to soften their stance on slavery, albeit for selfish economic reasons.

I found it interesting that economics drove the slave debate much more than morals, from the founding of the country right up to the Civil War.  Interesting too is how Northern and Southern states flip flopped on the issue along the way depending upon economic conditions.

Silver Pines

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 11:56:39 am »
A quick history side note - In the period just prior to the Civil War tensions were obviously high on all sides of the slavery debate (there were more than two sides of the debate).  But regardless of which side you happened to favor there were certain assumptions being made by all.  Namely, if the slaves were freed the assumption was they would go back to Africa or somewhere in the Caribbean.

No one really knew how this migration would take place but that was a detail to sort out later.  The main point being everyone assumed wrong.

@Hondo69

Yes, there was actually a lot of commonality on racial attitudes between the regions.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 02:45:31 pm »
@Hondo69

Yes, there was actually a lot of commonality on racial attitudes between the regions.
They should have known that few blacks would want to go back to Africa.  If they had wanted to go back, then many free blacks in the North would have already left for Africa.
And there were free blacks in the South, a number who owned slaves. Obviously, they had no intention of returning to Africa.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 02:51:51 pm »

Actually, some did. Liberia, if you check up on it, was populated by a wave of former slaves who returned and who were funded in that effort by the Federal Government and a few states as well.

https://history.state.gov/milestones/1830-1860/liberia
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 03:18:11 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 03:18:26 pm »
Actually, some did. Liberia, if you check up on it, was populated by a wave of former slaves who returned and who were funded in that effort by the Federal Government and a few states as well.

Pull up a map and look at the place names there.
Just read....interestingly enough, Britain settled former slaves on the west African coast some decades before. Most died from disease or warfare with local tribes.
They also settled some blacks who had fled north to Canada during the American Revolution.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 03:21:44 pm »
C'mon people! Are you white? Do you breathe? Then you are racist! Do we have to go and get someone in BLM with a PhD in Critical Race Theory to do some Nazi skull measuring to show what a backward racist caucasian neanderthal you are?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 03:22:23 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 03:24:03 pm »
C'mon people! Are you white? Do you breathe? Then you are racist! Do we have to go and get someone in BLM with a PhD in Critical Race Theory to do some Nazi skull measuring to show what a backward racist caucasian neanderthal you are?
hey buddy! You gotta problem wit' dat?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis