Author Topic: ‘Property Brothers’ and reality TV are inspiring homeowners — but creating unrealistic expectations about budgets  (Read 1030 times)

rangerrebew

‘Property Brothers’ and reality TV are inspiring homeowners — but creating unrealistic expectations about budgets

Published: July 21, 2017 11:29 a.m. ET

Here’s a new drinking game for HGTV fans, courtesy of Drew Scott, a real estate expert and one half of the set of twins who host the show “Property Brothers.” It epitomizes how television reality shows like this are changing the interiors of American homes. “Take a drink every time someone says ‘granite’ and ‘stainless steel,’” he suggests. “You’ll be drunk by the first commercial.”

Anyone who’s ever binge-watched the network, or “Property Brothers” specifically, knows there are some things, like granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances, that a lot of home buyers are looking for nowadays. That, they say, is in large part to reality TV.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/property-brothers-and-reality-tv-are-fueling-demand-in-granite-countertops-and-stainless-steel-kitchens-2017-07-21
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 04:28:10 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I used to spend time with a friend (now gone) who spent the last year of her life in a nursing facility. She liked to watch that.

My impressions of these two guys was (is) "shysters".
The first one would do his damnedest to browbeat you into buying some crummy rundown house.
The second would fleece you "remodeling" it.

Oceander

Wingnut

It is entertainment TV.  Not a guide to the real world of buying homes.  But to some of the massholes of the new uninformed..... maybe it is .

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I like the show and watch it all the time...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

My wife and daughter think they're really cute.

Offline roamer_1

It IS totally unrealistic.
If you think you can do it for (x), that really means the job will run (x+20%), and that's just to start. This place I am in was simple, but went over budget enough to prevent my shop from going up.  :shrug: