Author Topic: SpaceX's Big New Rocket May Crash on 1st Flight, Elon Musk Says  (Read 865 times)

Offline kevindavis007

There's a "real good chance" the vehicle won't make it to orbit during the liftoff, Musk said Wednesday (July 19) at the 2017 International Space Station Research and Development (ISSR&D) conference in Washington, D.C. That launch is expected to take place later this year from Florida's Space Coast.

"I hope it makes it far enough away from the pad that it does not cause pad damage. I would consider even that a win, to be honest," Musk told NASA ISS program manager Kirk Shireman, who interviewed the SpaceX CEO onstage at the meeting. "Major pucker factor, really; that's, like, the only way to describe it."

The two-stage Falcon Heavy is based on SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket, which has been ferrying payloads to space since 2010. The Heavy's first stage consists of two Falcon 9 first stages strapped to a central "core," which is itself a modified Falcon 9 booster.

Like the Falcon 9, the Heavy is designed to be reusable.

When the 230-foot-tall (70 meters) Falcon Heavy is up and running, it will be capable of lofting up to 60 tons (54 metric tons) to low-Earth orbit and 24 tons (22 metric tons) to geostationary transfer orbit, making it the most powerful rocket since NASA's famous Apollo-era Saturn V launcher, SpaceX representatives have said.

SpaceX has been developing the Falcon Heavy for years. The work has proven to be "way, way more difficult" than SpaceX originally expected, Musk said.

Read More: http://www.isn-news.net/2017/07/spacexs-big-new-rocket-may-crash-on-1st.html
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: SpaceX's Big New Rocket May Crash on 1st Flight, Elon Musk Says
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 02:59:54 am »
"I hope it makes it far enough away from the pad that it does not cause pad damage. I would consider even that a win, to be honest,"

:silly:

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 06:02:49 am »
"I hope it makes it far enough away from the pad that it does not cause pad damage. I would consider even that a win, to be honest,"

So will the local fishermen.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline SunkenCiv

• This is SunkenCiv.
  • I'm Junger than that now.
    • Gods, Graves, Glyphs (we're new)
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 06:44:08 am »
Heh... there's an edited YT vid, about 15 minutes' worth of Musk, just the info about the various SpaceX launch systems present and future.  Just strapping on a couple of boosters doesn't work because of the stresses on the core F9, EM called it "crazy hard" in an earlier interview.

It'll lead either to a two-model system, with a bunch of heavier duty, longer-burning F9 core sticks with standard, older, even flight-proven F9s as the strap-on boosters; orrrrr, it'll lead to heavier duty F9 sticks that are interchangeable.

I'd guess they've already settled on option two.  :)

The first test flight will probably attempt to land all three F9 sticks on the mainland landing pad area, plus the second stage on the droneship in the Atlantic.  If they pull all that off, the pork-barrellers in Congress will have to find some new alibi for pulling out the rug on SpaceX.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Gods, Graves, Glyphs forum (we're new) Darwin Central (posting as Ned Ludlam) my FR posts, SunkenCiv?, FR topic by nuconvert