Author Topic: Alabama man shoots huge wild boar in his front garden  (Read 2016 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Alabama man shoots huge wild boar in his front garden
« on: July 20, 2017, 04:42:57 pm »
Alabama man shoots huge wild boar in his front garden

Image caption Mr Seago said he had to kill the boar because his dog was in danger

A US taxidermist has described how he dramatically shot a huge wild boar that had wandered into his garden in the southern state of Alabama.

Wade Seago told the BBC it had taken three shots from his revolver to kill the boar, which weighed 372kg (820lb).

He said the animal had terrified his daughter and disturbed his dog.

Feral pigs cause millions of dollars in damage across a swathe of southern US states because they damage crops and are believed to infect livestock.

Continued: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40674028

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
Re: Alabama man shoots huge wild boar in his front garden
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 03:17:54 am »
Wild hogs are a problem:
http://wildpiginfo.msstate.edu/history-wild-pigs.html

Where the hogs are:
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=boar+population+by+state&FORM=HDRSC2

A wild hog can kill you if it attacks.
Be sure to have a gun - at least a .357 magnum.
A shotgun cannot do the job.  It will just annoy the hog.
Same goes for 9mm or .40 S&W.
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 12:44:55 pm »

A wild hog can kill you if it attacks.
Be sure to have a gun - at least a .357 magnum.
Same goes for 9mm or .40 S&W.

Loaded with Buckshot or slugs?  I see a lot online claiming to taking hogs this way.

In Alaska, our guides carried 12 gauge in case of bears.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 12:55:05 pm »

Published on Feb 8, 2017
Massive number of feral hogs taken down in North Texas in one night.

Over the last couple years, UNV customer Ray Shinpaugh has been perfecting the art of feral hog eradication using a side-by-side, thermal monocular, shotgun, and laser to eliminate hogs with incredible efficiency.

With darkness as cover, Ray and his hunting partner use thermal optics to locate groups of feral hogs. With the lights off, they position themselves between the pigs and any nearby cover. Once in position, they flip on the lights and drive the pigs further out in the open where they can close in on the hogs and open fire with 00 buck shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAfJG1PMjbY

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/hunter-lights-up-70-hogs-with-lasers-and-00-buckshot/
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 12:57:09 pm »

My buddy from Montana always gave the advice to file off the sights on your .357.

So it didn't hurt as much when the bear rammed it up your ...
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 02:52:06 pm »
My buddy from Montana always gave the advice to file off the sights on your .357.

So it didn't hurt as much when the bear rammed it up your ...
There was a story a year or more ago about a young man hiking with his girl friend north of Anchorage when a large bear (grizzly, brown?) charged them.   The male was armed with a nine millimeter.  I can't remember how many shots he fired, but he did kill the huge bear with the gun.
I wouldn't want to try it with a .22, but it is possible to kill a large bear with  a  less than .50 caliber handgun.

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 02:58:21 pm »
So the bacon brought itself home!

Online roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 03:06:31 pm »
Loaded with Buckshot or slugs?  I see a lot online claiming to taking hogs this way.

I sure wouldn't carry a .357mag... Not for bear at least. .44mag/.45 all the way along.
And yeah, close range, 12ga. slug is king. I carry a 45/70 for a brush gun... but that's for moderate reach. If I know I am going to be going into tight thicket, I'd definitely be bringing the shotgun instead.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 03:09:38 pm »
weighed 372kg (820lb)

That's a lot of pork chops!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 03:14:41 pm »
There was a story a year or more ago about a young man hiking with his girl friend north of Anchorage when a large bear (grizzly, brown?) charged them.   The male was armed with a nine millimeter.  I can't remember how many shots he fired, but he did kill the huge bear with the gun.
I wouldn't want to try it with a .22, but it is possible to kill a large bear with  a  less than .50 caliber handgun.

I dunno...this principle still applies...

:laugh:
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 03:22:50 pm »

:silly: :silly: :silly:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 04:09:05 pm »
I sure wouldn't carry a .357mag... Not for bear at least. .44mag/.45 all the way along.
And yeah, close range, 12ga. slug is king. I carry a 45/70 for a brush gun... but that's for moderate reach. If I know I am going to be going into tight thicket, I'd definitely be bringing the shotgun instead.
My brother in law who is a Texas Game Warden was bear hunting in Alaska and was specifically told by his guide not to bring any type of pistol against bears.  It would simply endanger them both as the highest likelihood would be a wounded and deadly bear.

Hi powered rifles will penetrate and kill far better.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 04:28:00 pm »
My brother in law who is a Texas Game Warden was bear hunting in Alaska and was specifically told by his guide not to bring any type of pistol against bears.  It would simply endanger them both as the highest likelihood would be a wounded and deadly bear.

Hi powered rifles will penetrate and kill far better.

That's right, and why I carry a carbine. If I'm pulling that hawg leg out, you can bet money things are going very badly. But at seriously close range, a likely occurrence with a startled bear (or hog I would imagine), I will likely only get one shot with the rifle... after that, I can get a whole lot more lead flying with the pistol. Likewise getting caught out without the rifle - stooping to drink at a creek with the rifle just out of reach, as an instance... It's worth having (the pistol, I mean).

But it better be enough pistol to matter...

There's a tale told around here of a camp cook, who was out getting firewood and startled a bear... The bear charged and stood up, and then roared... and the cook shot him with with a .22 through the roof of the mouth. Dropped him like a hot rock. Only afterward did the cook realize he did it with a .22, and he sat on the ground a while gibbering...

A 44mag/45 will knock a bear down, sure enough. But only if you put it where it needs to go, which is hard to do at the moment, whilst thinking about keeping your mud in, and running, and screaming, and whatnot.

The carbine is the better choice, providing you have the distance.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2017, 07:15:28 pm »
That's right, and why I carry a carbine. If I'm pulling that hawg leg out, you can bet money things are going very badly. But at seriously close range, a likely occurrence with a startled bear (or hog I would imagine), I will likely only get one shot with the rifle... after that, I can get a whole lot more lead flying with the pistol. Likewise getting caught out without the rifle - stooping to drink at a creek with the rifle just out of reach, as an instance... It's worth having (the pistol, I mean).

But it better be enough pistol to matter...

There's a tale told around here of a camp cook, who was out getting firewood and startled a bear... The bear charged and stood up, and then roared... and the cook shot him with with a .22 through the roof of the mouth. Dropped him like a hot rock. Only afterward did the cook realize he did it with a .22, and he sat on the ground a while gibbering...

A 44mag/45 will knock a bear down, sure enough. But only if you put it where it needs to go, which is hard to do at the moment, whilst thinking about keeping your mud in, and running, and screaming, and whatnot.

The carbine is the better choice, providing you have the distance.
I've read enough stories in the past twenty years on the internet about people being charged by grizzlies or huge, Alaskan brown bears that quickness in getting a weapon out is of the essence.
I remember reading some years ago about one hunter who was in a group of four hunters around Yellowstone literally out for bear. They all had high-powered rifles.  One hunter was killed by a grizzly because he didn't have his rifle ready to shoot a grizzly that charged him out of the brush and killed him.  I can't remember if the other hunters managed to shoot the bear.
After reading that I surmised that having a powerful enough weapon which the wearer could readily fire at a fast-charging bear was  a great idea. I don't particularly want to find out whether a rifle or a hand gun would be a better weapon against a charging bear when speed of drawing a gun out and accuracy are of highest importance.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 09:42:07 pm »
I've read enough stories in the past twenty years on the internet about people being charged by grizzlies or huge, Alaskan brown bears that quickness in getting a weapon out is of the essence.
I remember reading some years ago about one hunter who was in a group of four hunters around Yellowstone literally out for bear. They all had high-powered rifles.  One hunter was killed by a grizzly because he didn't have his rifle ready to shoot a grizzly that charged him out of the brush and killed him.  I can't remember if the other hunters managed to shoot the bear.
After reading that I surmised that having a powerful enough weapon which the wearer could readily fire at a fast-charging bear was  a great idea. I don't particularly want to find out whether a rifle or a hand gun would be a better weapon against a charging bear when speed of drawing a gun out and accuracy are of highest importance.

Without a doubt, the rifle is the thing to have. There is so much more power in that carbine than in a handgun, that it's a matter of an order of magnitude. The reason I would certainly get one off from the rifle, is because I am usually carrying it at the ready. And hopefully, I will get all seven out of that rifle before I have to go to the pistol.

You've heard the expression that a .22 is better than nothing? The pistol is just like that. I'd much rather have the pistol than what's next, which is knife and hawk. But never think the pistol is the better option until it is.

Note that the one time I actually needed to drop a bear, I didn't have my 30/30 (which I carried at the time), and the .45 ACP I had on me stove-piped. I threw the gun at him, ditched my pack, and swarmed up the nearest tree... Had he not stopped to investigate the pack, I would not be here writing this right now.

But yes, a charge is frightfully fast, and usually under fifty yards. That may sound like a ways, but a bear at full tilt covers that in seconds... Considering that the first shot is normally at the ground along side him to scare him away, if he means it, you really don't have any time.

But it really ain't just griz. Moose, in my mind, are more of a menace. Other than being between a sow and her cubs, most of the time, you can turn a bear, or he is false-charging. If a moose gets it in his head that he don't like you, he will not stop... And you really never know why they get mad at you... they just  do. And rutting deer can get pissy too.

Wingnut

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2017, 10:01:06 pm »

My wife was not amused! 

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2017, 12:34:53 am »
Without a doubt, the rifle is the thing to have. There is so much more power in that carbine than in a handgun, that it's a matter of an order of magnitude. The reason I would certainly get one off from the rifle, is because I am usually carrying it at the ready. And hopefully, I will get all seven out of that rifle before I have to go to the pistol.

You've heard the expression that a .22 is better than nothing? The pistol is just like that. I'd much rather have the pistol than what's next, which is knife and hawk. But never think the pistol is the better option until it is.

Note that the one time I actually needed to drop a bear, I didn't have my 30/30 (which I carried at the time), and the .45 ACP I had on me stove-piped. I threw the gun at him, ditched my pack, and swarmed up the nearest tree... Had he not stopped to investigate the pack, I would not be here writing this right now.

But yes, a charge is frightfully fast, and usually under fifty yards. That may sound like a ways, but a bear at full tilt covers that in seconds... Considering that the first shot is normally at the ground along side him to scare him away, if he means it, you really don't have any time.

But it really ain't just griz. Moose, in my mind, are more of a menace. Other than being between a sow and her cubs, most of the time, you can turn a bear, or he is false-charging. If a moose gets it in his head that he don't like you, he will not stop... And you really never know why they get mad at you... they just  do. And rutting deer can get pissy too.
The only bears I've seen in the wild were while crossing the Rockies from Alberta into B.C.  One time the wife and I observed (from our car) a mother grizzly and her two cubs by the side of the road. A little further down the road we observed a single grizzly (male?) ambling down the other side of the highway.
We stopped our car both times and rolled the window down to get a better picture.  It was only a little later when I remembered how fast bears can move that I wondered if rolling the windows down to take a photo of a grizzly bear about one hundred feet away was a good idea.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2017, 12:53:10 am »
It was only a little later when I remembered how fast bears can move that I wondered if rolling the windows down to take a photo of a grizzly bear about one hundred feet away was a good idea.

:shrug:
The window is nothing but a false sense of security. If he gets irate, just punch it, and then start worrying about the window...

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2017, 01:35:26 am »
That hog has got to be a cross with a domestic.  I don't think true wild hogs get anywhere near that big, do they?

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2017, 02:14:41 am »
That hog has got to be a cross with a domestic.  I don't think true wild hogs get anywhere near that big, do they?

One time I saw a farmer exhibiting a 1300 lb. hog at the Ohio State Fair.

(I was really surprised at how much the farmer and the hog resembled each other.)

Seriously, wild hogs mate with any other hog they can find, including domestic.
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2017, 02:23:19 am »
One time I saw a farmer exhibiting a 1300 lb. hog at the Ohio State Fair.

(I was really surprised at how much the farmer and the hog resembled each other.)

Seriously, wild hogs mate with any other hog they can find, including domestic.

Yeah, that's why I wondered that that is a cross between a wild and a domestic.  I guess yhey were all domestic at one time, but you get what I'm saying hopefully.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2017, 02:53:09 am »

Guns are for wimps...

World famous hunter and hunting guide C. Dale Peterson of Jackson Hole, WY is one of only two men known to have killed a Grizzly Bear without the help of modern weaponry. His kill was verified by game biologists. Mr Peterson killed this irate bear with nothing but his bare hands and his teeth.

The plaque mounted next to the unlucky bear reads:

“This bear was taken by World Famous Hunter and Hunting Guide C. Dale Peterson of Jackson Hole, Wy. It is one of only two Grizzlies know to have been killed ‘without’ the use of modern weaponry.

Verified by Game Biologists, My. Peterson killed this bear with his hands, and oddly enough, his teeth. It is known that this bear had been aggravated by a group of backpackers, shortly after Peterson, unaware of the previous happenings, came upon the bear. A fight-to-the-death ensued. Peterson, having his right hand and arm wedged in the bear’s throat, actually used his own teeth and jaws to pinch off the bear’s jugular vein. When the bear passed out from lack of blood flow to the brain, Peterson beat the bear upon the head with a stick.”

http://blog.benspera.com/2013/05/wyoming-man-that-killed-a-bear-with-his-bare-hands-and-teeth/

That is straight out crazy.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2017, 02:58:06 am »
Hit this by accident. Couldn't resist posting it.
I swear, all guys are the same. No matter what species.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5GqfQHY0Uo
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2017, 03:10:41 am »

I've nailed a few fairly large boars with a 12 gauge.  Key is getting within 10 yards or so.

Cheap dog food.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2017, 03:26:31 am »
Image result for bear balls ammo
We called these bear balls, when I was a kid. Two or three of these will take down a bear, or a hog.
It's going to blow a three inch hole in whatever it hits.