Author Topic: Sessions: No plans to resign after Trump attack  (Read 22737 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Sessions: No plans to resign after Trump attack
« on: July 20, 2017, 02:42:06 pm »

'I plan to continue to do so as long as that is appropriate,' the attorney general says.

By POLITICO Staff

07/20/2017 10:32 AM EDT

Attorney General Jeff Sessions said on Thursday he plans to stay on in his current job, even after President Donald Trump harshly criticized him a day earlier for recusing himself from the ongoing Russia investigation.

"I plan to continue to do so as long as that is appropriate," Sessions said at a Department of Justice press conference.

Trump told The New York Times in an interview Wednesday that he would not have hired Sessions if he'd known his attorney general would recuse himself from the Russia probe. "How do you take a job and then recuse yourself? If he would have recused himself before the job, I would have said, ‘Thanks, Jeff, but I’m not going to take you,'" Trump told the paper.

more
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/20/sessions-says-he-plans-to-stay-on-as-attorney-general-after-trump-criticism-240755?cmpid=sf
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Suppressed

Re: Sessions: No plans to resign after Trump attack
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 02:55:04 pm »
Someone needs to explain America to Trump.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 03:05:44 pm »
What the H is that supposed to mean?  Sounds like something CNN would say!
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 03:13:27 pm »

Everywhere he turns someone disagrees with him because he's so wrong about so much. Even his pick to run the FBI is saying that he supports Mueller and says the Russia investigation is no witch hunt.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 03:13:27 pm »

Better yet someone needs to explain the proper role of the AG to the ethically challenged Trump.
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 03:19:20 pm »

There's these things called honesty...integrity...ethics...Americans living in Real-ville tend to look at those things as important and something to be proud of.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 03:25:37 pm »
Better yet someone needs to explain the proper role of the AG to the ethically challenged Trump.

He's not supposed to be the president's personal prosecutor/defense attorney. Its been a problem through multiple presidencies and was made exponentially worse under Obama and Trump appears to be trying to double down on that.

Its the primary reason I'm glad our AG in MI is elected in his own right rather than appointed by the governor. GOP AG Bill Schuette has repeatedly been on the opposite side as GOP Governor Rick Snyder.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 03:29:17 pm »
There's these things called honesty...integrity...ethics...Americans living in Real-ville tend to look at those things as important and something to be proud of.

In reality Trump's own duplicity has brought him to this point. He has continually obfuscated on readily verifiable matters. His statement something to the effect that he didn't have any deals with Russia will most likely be exposed as a bald-faced lie and perhaps be the tipping point that moves the House toward impeachment proceedings.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 03:30:40 pm by Gov Bean Counter »
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline the_doc

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 04:02:13 pm »
In reality Trump's own duplicity has brought him to this point. He has continually obfuscated on readily verifiable matters. His statement something to the effect that he didn't have any deals with Russia will most likely be exposed as a bald-faced lie and perhaps be the tipping point that moves the House toward impeachment proceedings.

You might be correct about that.  But I think Trump was a fool to choose Sessions in the first place.  All the rah-rah stuff surrounding Sessions' nomination was pretty disgusting to me when I learned about Sessions' position on assets forfeiture.  That position makes Sessions the worst sort of anti-Constitutional monster.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 04:09:05 pm »
You might be correct about that.  But I think Trump was a fool to choose Sessions in the first place.  All the rah-rah stuff surrounding Sessions' nomination was pretty disgusting to me when I learned about Sessions' position on assets forfeiture.  That position makes Sessions the worst sort of anti-Constitutional monster.

Considering the fact that Trump thinks eminent domain is a great tool for making property profitable, I doubt Sessions position on CAF was a big problem. After all, both are forms of using the power of government to seize property which inevitably ends up in the hands of someone else.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 04:09:57 pm »
Sessions is garbage and needs to go. Surprised so many here have a fetish for civil asset forfeiture.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 04:26:29 pm »
@RetBobbyMI

This is what it was supposed to mean:

@Gov Bean Counter

@txradioguy

He's not supposed to be the president's personal prosecutor/defense attorney. Its been a problem through multiple presidencies and was made exponentially worse under Obama and Trump appears to be trying to double down on that.
@Cripplecreek
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 04:28:16 pm »
Sessions is garbage and needs to go. Surprised so many here have a fetish for civil asset forfeiture.

Not in favor of CAF.

Neither am I in favor of the AG supposed to be more loyal to the president than his proper role.
+++++++++

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 04:30:26 pm »
Considering the fact that Trump thinks eminent domain is a great tool for making property profitable, I doubt Sessions position on CAF was a big problem. After all, both are forms of using the power of government to seize property which inevitably ends up in the hands of someone else.

Exactly!
+++++++++

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 04:45:41 pm »
The office of the Attorney General was established by the Judiciary Act of 1789 as a part-time job for one person, but grew with the bureaucracy. At one time the Attorney General gave legal advice to the U.S. Congress as well as the President, but in 1819 the Attorney General began advising Congress alone to ensure a manageable workload. Until March 3, 1853, the salary of the Attorney General was set by statute at less than the amount paid to other Cabinet members. Early Attorneys General supplemented their salaries by running private law practices, often arguing cases before the courts as attorneys for paying litigants.

Following unsuccessful efforts (in 1830 and 1846) to make Attorney General a full-time job, in 1869, the U.S. House Committee on the Judiciary, led by Congressman William Lawrence, conducted an inquiry into the creation of a "law department" headed by the Attorney General and also composed of the various department solicitors and United States attorneys. On February 19, 1868, Lawrence introduced a bill in Congress to create the Department of Justice. President Ulysses S. Grant signed the bill into law on June 22, 1870.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 04:49:56 pm »
The office of the Attorney General was established by the Judiciary Act of 1789 as a part-time job for one person, but grew with the bureaucracy. At one time the Attorney General gave legal advice to the U.S. Congress as well as the President, but in 1819 the Attorney General began advising Congress alone to ensure a manageable workload. Until March 3, 1853, the salary of the Attorney General was set by statute at less than the amount paid to other Cabinet members. Early Attorneys General supplemented their salaries by running private law practices, often arguing cases before the courts as attorneys for paying litigants.

Following unsuccessful efforts (in 1830 and 1846) to make Attorney General a full-time job, in 1869, the U.S. House Committee on the Judiciary, led by Congressman William Lawrence, conducted an inquiry into the creation of a "law department" headed by the Attorney General and also composed of the various department solicitors and United States attorneys. On February 19, 1868, Lawrence introduced a bill in Congress to create the Department of Justice. President Ulysses S. Grant signed the bill into law on June 22, 1870.

The role of a Congressman or Senator was never supposed to be a full time life long profession either  :whistle:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 04:50:15 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

HonestJohn

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 06:40:40 pm »

You've said that about everyone Trump has issue with.

It's becoming a very noticeable pattern.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 07:21:33 pm »
@Frank Cannon
You've said that about everyone Trump has issue with.

It's becoming a very noticeable pattern.

??? 

Are you accusing Frank Cannon of being a pro-Trump diehard?  Well, I am a NeverTrumper trying my very best to be supportive of our clumsy POTUS.  I agree with Frank Cannon--but I cannot help but let it slip out that Trump has a bad moral compass that shows up as bad judgment, among other things.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 07:59:34 pm »
@Frank Cannon
??? 

Are you accusing Frank Cannon of being a pro-Trump diehard?  Well, I am a NeverTrumper trying my very best to be supportive of our clumsy POTUS.  I agree with Frank Cannon--but I cannot help but let it slip out that Trump has a bad moral compass that shows up as bad judgment, among other things.

You and me both on the " Well, I am a NeverTrumper trying my very best to be supportive of our clumsy POTUS."

But it's wearing me down.  He hasn't exactly done anything wrong that matters but he says the wrong things EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 08:17:45 pm »
Trump could turn it around but so far, I see him as the GOP version of Jimmy Carter.

And I think his stink will last for generations.

HonestJohn

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 08:36:39 pm »
@Frank Cannon
??? 

He's said the same with Comey and Mueller, immediately after Trump tweeted negative comments about them.

That's why I said it's becoming a pattern.

@Frank Cannon
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 08:39:36 pm by HonestJohn »

Online DB

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 08:50:51 pm »

It was known from the start. http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,243741.msg1189607.html#msg1189607
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 03:24:35 am by DB »

Silver Pines

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2017, 10:56:17 pm »
"As long as that is appropriate"....in politician-speak, that means he could resign tomorrow.

A president going after his own attorney general is pretty incredible.  I agree with the person on Twitter who said that Sessions bought this ticket when he endorsed Trump over Cruz, and now he should sit back and enjoy the ride.

Silver Pines

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2017, 10:58:46 pm »

@Gov Bean Counter

The same is true of his son, Donald Jr.  If the Russian meeting was so innocent, I don't understand why he had to lie repeatedly about what went on there.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2017, 11:07:03 pm »

Of course not.  He just nationalized a federal program to make unConstitutional asset and property seizures without being convicted of any crime -"legal".

The Federal approval of Highwaymen was just green-lit by Sessions.

So I imagine he will want a cut of the spoils before he takes a leave from Trump's regime to spend more time with his family.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775