Author Topic: 10 (Mostly) Natural Ways to Evade Mosquitoes  (Read 1044 times)

rangerrebew

10 (Mostly) Natural Ways to Evade Mosquitoes
« on: July 20, 2017, 12:50:38 pm »
10 (Mostly) Natural Ways to Evade Mosquitoes
Some non-chemical methods work well, experts say, while others offer weak protection at best.

By Lisa Esposito, Staff Writer | July 19, 2017, at 1:19 p.m.

http://health.usnews.com/wellness/slideshows/10-mostly-natural-ways-to-evade-mosquitoes
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 12:51:25 pm by rangerrebew »

Wingnut

Re: 10 (Mostly) Natural Ways to Evade Mosquitoes
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 12:57:24 pm »

Offline endicom

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 01:55:09 pm »

Waco?

Unless there is more than one... yeppers.  Nice truck!

Offline endicom

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 02:07:49 pm »
Unless there is more than one... yeppers.  Nice truck!

See the kid's arm on the right of the picture? We used to do the same in NYC.

Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 02:12:29 pm »

See the kid's arm on the right of the picture? We used to do the same in NYC.

In our town we rode our bikes in the fog behind the trucks.  Had to back off when you started getting dizzy!

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 02:25:09 pm »

Reverse image search shows the pic to be a screenshot from a 2011 Brad Pitt flick called "Tree of Life".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478304/

Kind of funny how many environmentalist blogs have linked to it claiming it to be real (despite the 1950s vehicles and clearly modern photography)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 04:51:03 pm »
Finally, a place without mosquitoes:

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Wingnut

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 05:11:13 pm »
Reverse image search shows the pic to be a screenshot from a 2011 Brad Pitt flick called "Tree of Life".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478304/

Kind of funny how many environmentalist blogs have linked to it claiming it to be real (despite the 1950s vehicles and clearly modern photography)

Well it may be movie magic but it was a fact of 1950's and 60's life in many towns.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 05:19:34 pm »
We live on top of a hill constant wind..we hate it....but no mosquitoes or bugs.  I would take some mosquitos over the near constant wind though.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 12:49:57 am »

I remember those as a kid in Florida.
They'd go by, and the kids would follow along behind, breathing it in!

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 01:03:41 am »
Finally, a place without mosquitoes:

You're joking right?

Years ago in late summer, I and a friend hiked up (Yosemite Valley) from Bass Lake though the pass to the frozen lake at the top of Red Peaks and made camp. While were were there, a hiker came up from the other side and reported that he encountered someone who had not used enough repellant. He got bitten so many times he had an allergic reaction and had to be carried out by rangers.

When snow melts and forms pools, they become almost immediately infested with swarms of mosquitos. Sure, once you're above timberline, the numbers of mosquitos drops off, but the minute you drop below to where there is no night freezing, any path anywhere near standing water will have cloudes of mosquitos. Since nobody in their right minds makes camp in snow when there is bare ground a little lower in altitude, frozen conditions don't help much.

We took massive doses of B1 (which may or may not have helped), stayed away from standing water sources, rerouted around any swarms we blundered into and were covered head-to-toe in the strongest DEET cream repellant available from the second we crawled out of the bags. We had a very small number of bites after two weeks in Yosemite Valley. Most of the bites were on the tops of our heads, knuckles, ankles, elbows and the very few places we missed when we applied repellant. 

NOTE: If one is bitten, I've been told that high heat applied to the bite site can neutralize the protein which causes the itching. Not high enough heat to blister, but just a little less than that is best( 'cause the heat has to penetrate through to the inner dermis, not just the surface).
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 01:24:57 am by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 01:17:00 am »
Well it may be movie magic but it was a fact of 1950's and 60's life in many towns.

Even into the mid-80s I remember the fog trucks coming, though our parents would make us come inside for a little while.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2017, 01:19:20 am »
Mosquitoes love me.  No one else needs to worry about getting bit when I am around because they all come for me.  I make my own repellent though with lavender, citronella and lemongrass essential oils in witch hazel.  Works very well for mosquitoes.  It's the noseeums that are maddening for me, I haven't found anything that keeps them off of me.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 01:53:57 am »
Mosquitoes love me.  No one else needs to worry about getting bit when I am around because they all come for me.  I make my own repellent though with lavender, citronella and lemongrass essential oils in witch hazel.  Works very well for mosquitoes.  It's the noseeums that are maddening for me, I haven't found anything that keeps them off of me.

Try catnip (heh heh heh)
No really... Seriously effective... it's good for skeeters anyway... Same(though lesser) lemon balm, st joseph's wort (basil), marigold, and lemongrass (as you said).. Lemony stuff is likely to contain citronella.

High ingestion of garlic and basil seems to help.

But none of that is wild growing here... Smoke bath, especially cedar... or just find a cedar and rub the needles on you. I never did have much trouble with skeeters that way...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 01:56:05 am by roamer_1 »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2017, 02:09:23 am »
You're joking right?

When snow melts and forms pools, they become almost immediately infested with swarms of mosquitos. Sure, once you're above timberline, the numbers of mosquitos drops off, but the minute you drop below to where there is no night freezing, any path anywhere near standing water will have cloudes of mosquitos. Since nobody in their right minds makes camp in snow when there is bare ground a little lower in altitude, frozen conditions don't help much.

Uh, no...In the first place, snow melt, especially glacial runoff, is way too cold for skeeters. You must be talking late summer, when standing ponds are still there and warm enough to support skeeter larvae... And no again, so long as it is in the treeline, I'd prefer the snow camp... But that is unlikely in combination with easy water and firewood access. Snow keeps the critters off ya, and the bugs... They don't like it either.

I don't often use deet products at all, and never understood the attraction. Smoke. If you can find chamomile, smoke yourself with that... Otherwise any smoke, particularly cedar, or in a pinch, birch. Breakfast, and morning tea, afternoon tea and dinner time... you've got a fire anyway... smoke bath each time... You'll be fine. Or rub your exposed skin with cedar needles.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 02:10:25 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2017, 02:52:43 am »
You're joking right?

Years ago in late summer, I and a friend hiked up (Yosemite Valley) from Bass Lake though the pass to the frozen lake at the top of Red Peaks and made camp. While were were there, a hiker came up from the other side and reported that he encountered someone who had not used enough repellant. He got bitten so many times he had an allergic reaction and had to be carried out by rangers.

We took massive doses of B1 (which may or may not have helped), stayed away from standing water sources, rerouted around any swarms we blundered into and were covered head-to-toe in the strongest DEET cream repellant available from the second we crawled out of the bags. We had a very small number of bites after two weeks in Yosemite Valley. Most of the bites were on the tops of our heads, knuckles, ankles, elbows and the very few places we missed when we applied repellant. 

NOTE: If one is bitten, I've been told that high heat applied to the bite site can neutralize the protein which causes the itching. Not high enough heat to blister, but just a little less than that is best( 'cause the heat has to penetrate through to the inner dermis, not just the surface).
Not joking at all. That's Everest. Mosquitoes don't like the altitude.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2017, 03:04:20 am »
Try catnip (heh heh heh)
No really... Seriously effective... it's good for skeeters anyway... Same(though lesser) lemon balm, st joseph's wort (basil), marigold, and lemongrass (as you said).. Lemony stuff is likely to contain citronella.

High ingestion of garlic and basil seems to help.

But none of that is wild growing here... Smoke bath, especially cedar... or just find a cedar and rub the needles on you. I never did have much trouble with skeeters that way...

I've heard catnip works well, but since I'm using essential oils and catnip is a rather expensive one I haven't tried it yet.  You mentioning it reminded me that I also use a cedarwood essential oil in my mix.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2017, 05:49:18 pm »
I well remember the city trucks spraying for mosquitoes back in the fifties and sixties.  We played outside at night during the summer without covering ourselves in bug dope. Then they stopped spraying in the seventies. 
After that happened, the mosquitoes emerged once again by the billions to make going out at night in the summertime not slathered in bug dope a miserable experience.
There is also a strain of encephalitis (La Crosse encephalitis) named after the city ( La Crosse, Wis.) where I was born.

Wingnut

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2017, 06:25:23 pm »
I well remember the city trucks spraying for mosquitoes back in the fifties and sixties.  We played outside at night during the summer without covering ourselves in bug dope. Then they stopped spraying in the seventies. 
After that happened, the mosquitoes emerged once again by the billions to make going out at night in the summertime not slathered in bug dope a miserable experience.
There is also a strain of encephalitis (La Crosse encephalitis) named after the city ( La Crosse, Wis.) where I was born.

Environmental whackos who saw to the banning of DDT and fluoride in our drinking water ruined our quality of life and caused pestilence an disease to run freely amongst us.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 12:51:54 pm by Wingnut »

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2017, 01:33:29 am »
Environmental whackos who saw to the banning of detail and fluoride in our drinking water ruin our quality of life and caused pestilence an disease to run freely amongst us.

Yeah, leftists are the most deadly dangerous plague of our time. The needless, politics-driven banning of DDT is estimated to have caused the unnecessary deaths of millions of innocent people. Leftists are lethally destructive by nature - because they are vile cacogens, motivated only by ego, avarice, psychotic hatred, ignorance and all manner of perverse, corrupt, ungodly impulses.

"The demonic person is devoid of intelligence. They do not know what is rightly to be done and not done." -  Baghavad Gita
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 01:34:58 am by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)