Author Topic: Allergy or Sensitivity? The Answer Could Save Your Life  (Read 276 times)

rangerrebew

Allergy or Sensitivity? The Answer Could Save Your Life
« on: July 20, 2017, 12:38:43 pm »
Allergy or Sensitivity? The Answer Could Save Your Life

By Everyday Health Guest Columnist

Soon after I moved to Lexington, Kentucky, to begin residency training, I found myself at the pool one day with both eyes watering and beginning to swell shut. I had never had allergies before moving to the Bluegrass region, but I soon learned that my body was sensitive to high pollen counts — I have what most refer to as seasonal allergies.

The word “allergy” is confusing because many people use it as a fully encompassing generic term for true allergic reactions and nonallergic adverse reactions, also called sensitivities.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/columns/health-answers/allergy-sensitivity-answer-could-save-your-life/
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 12:39:52 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Polly Ticks

Re: Allergy or Sensitivity? The Answer Could Save Your Life
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 02:08:15 pm »
It's an interesting article, and helped explain why I absolutely cannot drink milk or eat ice cream but don't generally have much of a problem with cheese.

It did leave me with a couple of questions, though.  At what point does a sensitivity become an allergy? 

A sensitivity, as opposed to an allergy, happens gradually and isn’t life-threatening.

The peanut allergy that Son #5 developed occurred gradually.  At first, he would just have some very minor swelling of his upper lip a few hours after he ate peanuts.  As he continued to indulge over the next weeks and months, the swelling got much worse and eventually he had swelling and hives within a very short period of time after eating them.  I mega-dosed him with Benadryl, but when we saw the doctor he said we definitely should have used an Epi-Pen on him.  Live and learn ... 

In any case, according to the chart in the article, he started out with a sensitivity; however, there's no doubt that he now has a full-blown allergy, including reactions to items without nuts but have been "manufactured on the same equipment which processes nuts".

Oh, and also ... Welcome to the Ohio Valley, Doctor:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra