Author Topic: LIST: In 2015, 48 current Republican senators voted for Obamacare repeal bill, 1 voted no  (Read 435 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
LIST: In 2015, 48 current Republican senators voted for Obamacare repeal bill, 1 voted no
by Philip Klein | Jul 18, 2017, 10:32 AM

With the Republican effort to repeal and replace Obamacare currently dead, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky. vowed to revive the 2015 bill that repealed much of Obamacare's taxes and spending (while leaving regulations intact), and then deal with the thorny negotiations about replacement after. Back in 2015, the partial repeal bill passed the Senate with a 52-vote majority.

Though there has been some turnover in the Senate since that December 2015 vote, many of the centrists who have been the most reluctant to repeal Obamacare — Sens. Shelley Moore Capito, R-W.V., Lisa Murkowski R-Alaska., Dean Heller, R-Nev., Bill Cassidy, R-La., and Rob Portman, R-Ohio — voted for the repeal bill. If they oppose it this time, they'll have to beat back charges that they cynically voted for repeal two years ago when they knew former President Barack Obama would veto it, but reversed themselves when it was no longer symbolic, because President Trump will sign it into law. Susan Collins, R-Maine, voted no in 2015.

The bottom line: If McConnell is somehow able to hold all of the senators who voted for repeal in 2015, it would probably pass, because the new senators are from very conservative states.

Continued: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/list-in-2015-48-current-republican-senators-voted-for-obamacare-repeal-bill-1-voted-no/article/2628948

Rand Paul, etc. all of these Senators voted for the repeal, this is the next chapter; this is plan B imo.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
If they oppose it this time, they'll have to beat back charges that they cynically voted for repeal two years ago when they knew former President Barack Obama would veto it, but reversed themselves when it was no longer symbolic, because President Trump will sign it into law

"Beating back charges" sound more daunting than it is.  Capito and Murkowski openly have joined Collins in saying they won't support full repeal.  Apparently, they have made the political calculus that they can survive the attacks from the right easier than they can survive the attacks from the left.  But I do think it is absolutely essential that McConnell hold that vote, and get them on record with their "no".

Offline Just_Victor

Rand Paul, etc. all of these Senators voted for the repeal, this is the next chapter; this is plan B imo.

It is also time for Trump and his administration to roll up their sleeves and put those vaunted negotiation skills to work.  Like it or not, Trump is the effective GOP leader.  If members of the party won't tow the party line, then by hook or crook, Trump needs to convince them to change their minds.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.