Author Topic: Opioid Use Soars Among Middle Aged and Elderly  (Read 663 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Opioid Use Soars Among Middle Aged and Elderly
« on: July 19, 2017, 05:17:54 pm »
Opioid Use Soars Among Middle Aged and Elderly

Studies find that uninformed doctors prescribe too many painkillers for their patients

FYI

https://www.wsj.com/articles/opiod-use-soars-among-middle-aged-and-elderly-1492999801
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline anubias

Re: Opioid Use Soars Among Middle Aged and Elderly
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 08:49:58 pm »
Let's just let the old farts suffer.   *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 09:34:05 pm »
Or, is it up because there's a lot more middle aged and elderly, and because, particularly the flower children types have an inclination to chemical abuse to start with? 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 10:05:35 pm »

My take is physicians prescribe pain meds too much. Opioids are very easy to get hooked on.

We have a tragic true story on my cul-de-sac. A fire department captain, college degree, wife and child.

Injured at work, gets on opioids, but can't get off. Loses family, loses job, kills himself. In his 40s.

The drugs are seriously mind-altering. Anybody who thinks "morality" and "will power" are the solution, basically don't know what they are talking about.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 10:07:45 pm »
@txradioguy

I knew they would come after us elderly as we are easy to find.  Their pretext was to go after addicts that get their drugs off the streets, etc.  Those are harder to find, but we are not.

I take a prescribed pain pill - Vicodin, leave me the hell alone.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 10:16:59 pm »
@txradioguy

I knew they would come after us elderly as we are easy to find.  Their pretext was to go after addicts that get their drugs off the streets, etc.  Those are harder to find, but we are not.

Actually, this is God's fault.  I intend to have a talk with him when I see him about his mistakes.  I told Bob this yesterday - God should have provided extra parts for each body so the owner of the body could unhook bad knees and hook new ones in.  Extra spines should have been provided.  Also, he should have included written instructions on our body so we know how to use it.  Also, all plants should have had instruction on them so we knew which ones cure diseases of the body. 

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 01:00:50 am »
@txradioguy

Towards the end of my Dad's life, he was almost 90, he was in a lot of pain but the doctor didn't want to prescribe pain meds because he..............might get addicted. I had more than a few words with the good doctor and my dad got his pain medication. What a load of carp, worrying that someone at the end of life might get addicted!

I have chronic pain, what they allow me is an immitation opoid called Tramadol, now there's a joke! I was on Vicodin for decades for migraines, never abused it, never had a problem stopping. I understand that there are people with addictive personalities out there, but not everyone.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 01:05:04 am »
Actually, this is God's fault.  I intend to have a talk with him when I see him about his mistakes.  I told Bob this yesterday - God should have provided extra parts for each body so the owner of the body could unhook bad knees and hook new ones in.  Extra spines should have been provided.  Also, he should have included written instructions on our body so we know how to use it.  Also, all plants should have had instruction on them so we knew which ones cure diseases of the body.
I had a friend that used to gripe that we came with a rotten warranty, any company that made a product as defective as humans would go out of business.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 02:43:42 am »
My take is physicians prescribe pain meds too much. Opioids are very easy to get hooked on.

We have a tragic true story on my cul-de-sac. A fire department captain, college degree, wife and child.

Injured at work, gets on opioids, but can't get off. Loses family, loses job, kills himself. In his 40s.

The drugs are seriously mind-altering. Anybody who thinks "morality" and "will power" are the solution, basically don't know what they are talking about.
Will power is involved. You have to use it up front, though.

I still have most of a scrip for oxy given to me by a doctor after surgery for a hernia. Twice afterwards (oral surgeries), I was told 'We'll write you a prescription for pain meds" It was for oxy. I handed them back and said, "I'll call you if I need something".

Life isn't pain free. Sorry, but that's just the way it is. If you teach yourself to deal with it, and it isn't overwhelming, then leave the meds in the jar. Ask yourself, "Do I need this? Really? Is it that bad?"
More often than not, the answer is "No, I can handle this." I also believe in the least effective dose.
If half a pill will do, take half, don't take a whole one.
Not being doped up, I find what works with the least pain, and often that doesn't do any further damage.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 02:45:16 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 04:34:36 pm »
Will power is involved. You have to use it up front, though.

I still have most of a scrip for oxy given to me by a doctor after surgery for a hernia. Twice afterwards (oral surgeries), I was told 'We'll write you a prescription for pain meds" It was for oxy. I handed them back and said, "I'll call you if I need something".

Life isn't pain free. Sorry, but that's just the way it is. If you teach yourself to deal with it, and it isn't overwhelming, then leave the meds in the jar. Ask yourself, "Do I need this? Really? Is it that bad?"
More often than not, the answer is "No, I can handle this." I also believe in the least effective dose.
If half a pill will do, take half, don't take a whole one.
Not being doped up, I find what works with the least pain, and often that doesn't do any further damage.

I have had a ruptured disk in my low back for many years. 

I am leary of any pain meds.  Pain is the indicator I need to ease up, let the inflammation go down, and helps keep me from doing additional damage.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 04:57:29 pm »
I have had a ruptured disk in my low back for many years. 

I am leary of any pain meds.  Pain is the indicator I need to ease up, let the inflammation go down, and helps keep me from doing additional damage.
I see pain much the same. If I can't feel any, how will I know I am pushing too hard or doing damage?

If I am really hurting I will use aspirin (couldn't with the surgeries). Don't like opioids because they back my system up.  I just handle it or sleep.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis