Author Topic: The Chances of SpaceX Beating NASA to Mars Just Went Up. Who will get there first?  (Read 1301 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Inverse By Neel V. Patel on July 17, 2017

So, you know that whole “Journey to Mars” thing NASA is trying to accomplish? Well, it turns out the agency might actually be too poor to get there — and that’s coming straight from the horse’s mouth.

“I can’t put a date on humans on Mars, and the reason really is, the other piece is, at the budget levels we described, this roughly 2 percent increase, we don’t have the surface systems available for Mars,” William Gerstenmaier, NASA’s head of human spaceflight, said last Wednesday during a meeting of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics.

That’s discouraging to hear, but it’s also not much of a surprise to keen observers of the agency. Congress, while enthusiastically supporting NASA’s goal to put astronauts on the surface of the red planet sometime in the 2030s, has expressed severe doubts in the past about NASA’s ability to actually succeed in this endeavor. It’s never really been clear that the infrastructure and methods NASA has been discussing over the last couple of years can be built and launched with the kind of annual budget NASA is used to these days.

An obvious solution would be for the federal government to allocate more money to NASA’s Mars missions. But given the current clampdown on government spending spearheaded by the Republican party — which controls both the legislative and executive branches — it might be more prudent to go into a more unorthodox direction: NASA should team up with SpaceX to get to Mars.

More: https://www.inverse.com/article/34277-nasa-doesn-t-have-enough-money-to-go-to-mars

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

"An obvious solution would be for the federal government to allocate more money"

No, that's not the obvious solution for just about anything.

Since we haven't paid for the moon landings yet, maybe having commercial entities get to Mars first isn't such a bad idea.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Ahem Blue Origin Ahem

Yup. I have real problems with the idea of getting to mars first if your first astronauts die there. If you kill your astronauts, the first time will be the last time.

Bezos has the smarter plan with a far greater chance of success.

Offline Frank Cannon

SpaceX has about as much a chance of going to Mars as Tesla does at becoming a viable car company.......which is nil.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
SpaceX has about as much a chance of going to Mars as Tesla does at becoming a viable car company.......which is nil.

Keeping their vehicles out of plowed fields looks like it would be a good start...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Frank Cannon

Keeping their vehicles out of plowed fields looks like it would be a good start...

Well as I read in some book (I think it was Payton Place): "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust."

Offline SunkenCiv

• This is SunkenCiv.
  • I'm Junger than that now.
    • Gods, Graves, Glyphs (we're new)
It's not a problem -- NASA just has to figure out how to spread a human Mars mission budget around to the 15 or 20 largest states, preferably to "minority owned" and "woman-owned" businesses, without having to comply with lowest-bid guidelines, and without any kind of outside limit on the length of time they have to work on it.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Gods, Graves, Glyphs forum (we're new) Darwin Central (posting as Ned Ludlam) my FR posts, SunkenCiv?, FR topic by nuconvert

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
It's not a problem -- NASA just has to figure out how to spread a human Mars mission budget around to the 15 or 20 largest states, preferably to "minority owned" and "woman-owned" businesses, without having to comply with lowest-bid guidelines, and without any kind of outside limit on the length of time they have to work on it.
Just snag someone out of Pentagon procurement, bid on spec, cost plus, they should only have to fill in a few blanks...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline SunkenCiv

• This is SunkenCiv.
  • I'm Junger than that now.
    • Gods, Graves, Glyphs (we're new)
Just snag someone out of Pentagon procurement, bid on spec, cost plus, they should only have to fill in a few blanks...
Since Boeing's involved, the question becomes, who at NASA is on Boeing's payroll?
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Gods, Graves, Glyphs forum (we're new) Darwin Central (posting as Ned Ludlam) my FR posts, SunkenCiv?, FR topic by nuconvert

Offline Snarknado

• Anti

...and assign a project manager whose retirement date is 1 year before the project completion date...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA