Author Topic: President Donald Trump at Six Months: A Failure of Leadership (Caruso)  (Read 929 times)

Offline corbe

President Donald Trump at Six Months: A Failure of Leadership

Posted at 10:01 am on July 18, 2017 by Jay Caruso

Neil Gorsuch was an uncontested layup for President Trump. Gorsuch was a replacement for Antonin Scalia hand-picked by The Federalist Society for President Trump. There is little doubt, Neil Gorsuch will make an excellent Supreme Court justice as we saw a glimpse of that as the court finished their latest term.

Executive orders have defined the bulk of Trump’s successes so far during his tenure, and while I agree with most of what he’s done, executive orders are only good for so long as he’s in office. If Trump loses in 2020, you can mark it down whatever Democrat takes over will reverse nearly all of the EO’s President Trump signed.

Now that we have President Trump’s “victories” out of the way, let’s examine after six months how the president managed to reveal a total lack of ability to lead the way, even with a Congress under Republican control.

Trump’s approval in the Real Clear Politics average sits at 40 percent. It’s an abysmally low number for a new President. Gerald Ford had numbers this low, but he also had the shadow of Richard Nixon and Watergate looming over him. President Trump has no such excuse. The economy is doing relatively well. The stock market is at an all-time high. The country is not in the middle of a major military conflict. Trump should be at a job approval level giving him the political capital to help push through legislation, but instead, he wasted it on his obsession with being the supposed subject of a “witch hunt” of which he provides more ammunition, nearly every day, for Democrats to use against him.

As for the Obamacare repeal debacle, it’s laughable but not at all surprising to see hard-core Trump supporters absolving him of all blame and pinning it entirely on Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan. The favored scapegoats of Trumpers everywhere, Ryan and McConnell do share some of the blame. After all, they’ve promised to repeal Obamacare starting on the day President Obama signed it into law. But they’re also dealing with a president who is not fully engaged in the process and knows little about the legislation he wants to sign. Trump’s behavior is also so unpredictable and it’s likely Congressional leaders are concerned about what they do, given the president’s inability to maintain focus on moving the ball forward.

A perfect illustration of Trump’s unpredictability comes in the form of having a Rose Garden celebration in early May when the House of Representatives passed the AHCA. “They’re not even doing it for the party,” Trump said at the time. “They’re doing it for this country because we suffered from Obamacare.” A little over a month later, Trump campaigned against the same bill calling it “mean” and saying it needed more “heart” and “more money.” If you’re Paul Ryan, it’s a hair-pulling moment.

<..snip..>

http://www.redstate.com/jaycaruso/2017/07/18/president-donald-trump-six-months-failure-leadership/?utm_content=social&utm_medium=@federalists_usa&utm_source=thenewamericana.com&utm_campaign=thefederalistparty.org
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

This can't be any more inflammatory than the #nevertrumpers should feel like Idiots that was posted last week by @truth_seeker and I get bonus points for putting an Opinion Piece in the correct category. 888high58888
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
   This can't be any more inflammatory than the #nevertrumpers should feel like Idiots that was posted last week by @truth_seeker and I get bonus points for putting an Opinion Piece in the correct category. 888high58888
Stalking me? Do you support or oppose Trump's policy positions?

I happen to support most of them. Most conservatives also do.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline corbe

@truth_seeker I am not stalking or trolling you, just bringing up an important difference in our approach to things, politically.

CONSERVATIVE

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
   @truth_seeker I am not stalking or trolling you, just bringing up an important difference in our approach to things, politically.

CONSERVATIVE

So you think "conservative" means something other than smaller government, lower taxes, more personal freedom, strong defense, strong economy, less regulation, etc. ?

That is my approach. How does yours differ?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline endicom

...Ryan and McConnell do share some of the blame.

This is their bailiwick. Them and the rest of the Flublicans.

Was Medicare Part D a failure of leadership?

Offline corbe

So you think "conservative" means something other than smaller government, lower taxes, more personal freedom, strong defense, strong economy, less regulation, etc. ?

I wanted to arrive in style, you and your cohorts opted for the yugo. @truth_seeker

In realville President Donald J. Trump has never been a Conservative and never will be, I am testament to old farts don't change.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

The reasoning used by some of our esteemed NTs ...  how apropos.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

HonestJohn

The problem lies in that you believe his governance will get you this.  We don't.

Not in the final goal, but in the man in the race.