Author Topic: Two GOP senators to vote against ObamaCare repeal-only bill  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Concerned

Re: Two GOP senators to vote against ObamaCare repeal-only bill
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2017, 07:15:11 pm »
Your anger is better directed at Murkowski, Collins, Portman, Capito

As much as you want to, as much as you need to .... you cannot blame the President for them.

But you know that @bolobaby   You know that.

Personally, I think there's plenty of blame to go around.  The Republican Congress has had 7 years to come up with a detailed, real replacement plan.  It is incomprehensible to me that that this half-***ed approach was the best they've been able to offer.  I was initially excited about Dr. Tom Price as HHS Secretary because I ASSUMED he had a workable plan to replace ObamaCare.  How silly was I?   Apparently he brought nothing to the ObamaCare-replacement table. 

The GOP is a bifurcated party (moderates and conservatives).  When dealing with bifurcated parties, what is need is leadership: Presidential leadership in this case.  The President appears to be unwilling or unable to tackle the details of healthcare.  He claims to be a master negotiator.  Well, this was a great opportunity to leverage his supposed negotiation skills, and he came up small IMO: incredibly small.  The GOP has lacked leadership on healthcare IMO, and that starts at the top IMO.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 07:17:10 pm by Concerned »
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2017, 07:18:15 pm »
I was initially excited about Dr. Tom Price as HHS Secretary because I ASSUMED he had a workable plan to replace ObamaCare.  How silly was I?   Apparently he brought nothing to the ObamaCare-replacement table.

The only good thing about Price being HHS secretary is that he is no longer my Congressman.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2017, 07:27:56 pm »
Personally, I think there's plenty of blame to go around.  The Republican Congress has had 7 years to come up with a detailed, real replacement plan.  It is incomprehensible to me that that this half-***ed approach was the best they've been able to offer.  I was initially excited about Dr. Tom Price as HHS Secretary because I ASSUMED he had a workable plan to replace ObamaCare.  How silly was I?   Apparently he brought nothing to the ObamaCare-replacement table. 

The GOP is a bifurcated party (moderates and conservatives).  When dealing with bifurcated parties, what is need is leadership: Presidential leadership in this case.  The President appears to be unwilling or unable to tackle the details of healthcare.  He claims to be a master negotiator.  Well, this was a great opportunity to leverage his supposed negotiation skills, and he came up small IMO: incredibly small.  The GOP has lacked leadership on healthcare IMO, and that starts at the top IMO.

As I wrote previously, the democrats' Obamacare was singed March 23, 2010. The equivalent of MORE THAN 8 months from today.

Plenty of time. But I share the frustration with the GOP. The "leaders" are very disappointing.

I believe Trump has let the Congress show themselves, at their worst.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2017, 09:24:07 pm »
The Democrats had bigger margins in both the House and Senate, and still had to compromise like hell (eliminating a public option, etc.) to barely squeak ObamaCare through the House and Senate.  A major problem with the GOP coming together is that there are simply too many factions unwilling to do that.

Half the people in here are blaming Trump for not showing more "leadership" and getting the Senate bill through, while the other half are applauding Mike Lee for not supporting the Senate Bill.  The reality is that even here on TBR, you have people with very different ideas of what is acceptable, and few willing to compromise.  Why assume that the people we elect are any different?

The really sad part about this is that the only way to overcome it is to get more Republicans in Congress so that the margins aren't so thin, and we can afford to lose more than a couple votes.  But now, you have people arguing that rather than try to send more conservatives Republicans to Congress, conservatives shouldn't vote for Republicans at all any more, but should instead vote third party.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 09:26:01 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2017, 09:26:39 pm »
Your posts indicate too much anger and too little understanding of our political system.  Here's what trouble me about this combination @bolobaby .... you have both a keyboard and a voter registration card.

Thank God an angel still directs this whirlwind.   :0001:

Riiiight. Rule #1 in full effect here.

You. Own. The. Clown. And. His. Circus.

Get over it.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Concerned

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2017, 09:31:19 pm »
As I wrote previously, the democrats' Obamacare was singed March 23, 2010. The equivalent of MORE THAN 8 months from today.

Plenty of time. But I share the frustration with the GOP. The "leaders" are very disappointing.

I believe Trump has let the Congress show themselves, at their worst.

I agree there's plenty of time and frankly, I just don't understand why healthcare was so close to the top of the priority list for this Administration.  I would have much preferred something with some bipartisan support like infrastructure (even though I'm largely against that kind of spending) in order to gain some bipartisan momentum in the early days of the Administration.  Of course, I guess when you promise to Repeal and Replace as one of your first acts, you kind of box yourself in.......

If the President is intentionally letting "the Congress show themselves, at their worst", I'm not sure to what end?  Is it to make certain GOP Congressmen susceptible to losing their seats next year?  I'm not sure that's in the President's best interest.  I'm just not sure how showing the GOP "at their worst" works for this President.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.