Author Topic: Death Of Senate GOP Health Care Bill Is Giving Conservatives A Good Reason To Never Vote Republican Again  (Read 5723 times)

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Fantasies of Ted Cruz are like comfort food  ....  delicious days of frenzied self-soothing in the face of disappointment ... leaving nothing more than guilt, thunder thighs and clogged arteries in their wake.     88devil

Ted Cruz is a good man and a very good senator.  Unfortunately, he is not that charasmatic and delivers more from a intellectual perspective then an emotional perspective.   He comes across as stiff and a bit nerdy.   In todays climate I don't think he really has much chance of being elected.  Most people make up their mind in a few seconds.   While Cruz is making an appeal to logic and knowledge people like Trump or any democrat is making fun of him.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline NavyCanDo

I'm doubting we voted for a real Republican this last election.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Ted Cruz is a good man and a very good senator.  Unfortunately, he is not that charasmatic and delivers more from a intellectual perspective then an emotional perspective.   He comes across as stiff and a bit nerdy.   In todays climate I don't think he really has much chance of being elected.  Most people make up their mind in a few seconds.   While Cruz is making an appeal to logic and knowledge people like Trump or any democrat is making fun of him.

I fully agree. The question is: Can Cruz adapt himself to become a more effective communicator to a wider audience?

Reagan "sold" conservatism. Nobody has done so, since him. It is sorely needed.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

Very true -- he's a classic appellate lawyer -- appeals greatly to judges and similar people on an intellectual level.  But he doesn't have the down-home, folksy ability to convince ordinary people who are wavering.  Great at appealing to those who already agree with him, though.

Online corbe

I'm doubting we voted for a real Republican this last election.

This was my second clue.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I agree @driftdiver that Ted Cruz is a good man and a very good Senator.  The fantasy/comfort food analogy in my post was not aimed at the Senator but at those who think Ted Cruz would have been able to flip the four Senators opposed to repeal;  the "if only" cry that rears its ugly head from time to time.    And my opposition to this cry is also not aimed at the Senator ... but at what it prolongs:   Our inability to fully unite behind our President and his agenda preventing us from being the formidable force we should be.

I think Ted Cruz still needs some polish ... sometimes we forget he's still young and growing.  I also think Ted Cruz has a political albatross around his neck.  If he truly wants to seek higher office, at some point he needs to address this in the open and all candor.  I, the minority opinion on this, would welcome this exchange.

:beer:

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 07:23:56 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Online corbe

Very true -- he's a classic appellate lawyer -- appeals greatly to judges and similar people on an intellectual level.  But he doesn't have the down-home, folksy ability to convince ordinary people who are wavering.  Great at appealing to those who already agree with him, though.

With all due respect @Maj. Bill Martin that was Sen. Cruz's FIRST run for a national public office, with less than 1 term as a US Senator as opposed to Trump's second or third, and with phenomenal Name Recognition and Peters of the National Enquirer in his back pocket, Trump read the dumbed-down reality TV American Public (aka Republicans) correctly, this time, unfortunately he's pissing it all away right now, IMHO
   He'll probably have to appear nude in some evangelical magazine, to do it again in 2020, of course I could be wrong.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
It's actually too late to save the Constitution ...and maybe even our very lives, if they don't follow Sen. Mike Lee.

Rush thinks they would rather face the voters wrath, than something more terrifying...but what is it?

Well, IMO...it's blackmail/extortion.   They used the NSA as their private investigators...for anything that would make them blush or ruin their lives.   Mistresses...web browser history of pages visited...  That would cover anybody over the age of 12.

If the Dems gain back the House and Senate with super majorities, they'll pass a law that says the Trump election was invalid, therefore all appointments to any court are INVALID.

Goodbye America.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
It's actually too late to save the Constitution ...and maybe even our very lives, if they don't follow Sen. Mike Lee.

Rush thinks they would rather face the voters wrath, than something more terrifying...but what is it?

Well, IMO...it's blackmail/extortion.   They used the NSA as their private investigators...for anything that would make them blush or ruin their lives.   Mistresses...web browser history of pages visited...  That would cover anybody over the age of 12.

If the Dems gain back the House and Senate with super majorities, they'll pass a law that says the Trump election was invalid, therefore all appointments to any court are INVALID.

Goodbye America.

@DCPatriot
While blackmail and such may be a factor I think its much simpler.  Greed    Power and money corrupt everyone.    The relentless march to a global model is simply too seductive to those in positions of power, whether its business or government.

Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline RoosGirl

Wellll, isn't it interesting that the conservatives are blamed when the polished turd doesn't pass.  They would and did pass repeal, but start paying off certain members to keep the SSDD and all of a sudden it's the conservatives who are a problem.  No problem with the liberal republicans who accept bribes for their state and will vote no if PP is unfunded (for only 1 year, BTW). What a bunch of horseshite. 

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Wellll, isn't it interesting that the conservatives are blamed when the polished turd doesn't pass.  They would and did pass repeal, but start paying off certain members to keep the SSDD and all of a sudden it's the conservatives who are a problem.  No problem with the liberal republicans who accept bribes for their state and will vote no if PP is unfunded (for only 1 year, BTW). What a bunch of horseshite.

I blame the liberals who won't vote for anything that looks remotely like repeal, and I blame those conservatives who won't support anything less than full repeal.  Unfortunately, given that the status quo is ObamaCare, liberals who prevent any deal at all actually get what they want.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 09:02:16 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline RetBobbyMI

The same way he was able to get her vote the last time.  Collins wants some assurance that there will be something in place that will make insurance more affordable.  With the current ineptitude of McConnell and Ryan sitting in the driver's seat, uncertainty has skyrocketed.

If the Republicans had done what they campaigned to do (including Collins), then they would have had Collins' vote.  But they didn't.  They lied.  They cast their lot with a failed program.
Health insurance will NEVER be affordable as long as there is no reform of Tort laws and skyrocketing costs of medicines and medical equipment.  Doctors run the insane asylum of medicine and lawyers run congress. Between the two, nothing will get accomplished.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Online corbe

We interrupt your regularly scheduled broadcast to bring you the following diversion:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Have you met him?  I have, at a friend's house while running in the Senate runoff.  He is not one of those swarmy types.  Has a very active mind and jokes well.  Very family oriented.

Am afraid you have bought into the characterization of him by the media, which declare him public enemy #1 until Trump showed up.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline RoosGirl

I blame the liberals who won't vote for anything that looks remotely like repeal, and I blame those conservatives who won't support anything less than full repeal.  Unfortunately, given that the status quo is ObamaCare, liberals who prevent any deal at all actually get what they want.

Since "anything less than full repeal" could include the individual mandate, increased taxes on the evil rich and coverage for any pre-existing condition, I am glad there are at least a few who are able to discern where that all would lead and won't vote for it.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Have you met him?  I have, at a friend's house while running in the Senate runoff.  He is not one of those swarmy types.  Has a very active mind and jokes well.  Very family oriented.

I'm sure he is. 

Am afraid you have bought into the characterization of him by the media, which declare him public enemy #1 until Trump showed up.

No, I liked him a lot -- was my preferred candidate through most of the primary.  We apparently just disagree on how he comes across, and I made that judgment myself before listening to the media at all.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 09:08:11 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

In todays climate I don't think he really has much chance of being elected.  Most people make up their mind in a few seconds.
Really? Well, we will see if that pans out next year when he is up for re-election.

He is the most solid of any of the politicians here in Texas, and many can identify with him, regardless of what you might think of him (which it seems has been influenced by the media).
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline RoosGirl

We interrupt your regularly scheduled broadcast to bring you the following diversion:

From their website:

The Constitution Party opposes the governmentalization and bureaucratization of American medicine. Government regulation and subsidy constitutes a threat to both the quality and availability of patient-oriented health care and treatment. Hospitals, doctors, and other health care providers should be accountable to patients – not to politicians, insurance bureaucrats, or HMO Administrators.

If the supply of medical care is controlled by the federal government, then officers of that government will determine which demand is satisfied. The result will be the rationing of services, higher costs, poorer results – and the power of life and death transferred from caring physicians to unaccountable political overseers.

We denounce any civil government entity using age or any other personal characteristic to: preclude people and insurance firms from freely contracting for medical coverage; conscript such people into socialized medicine, e.g., Medicare; or prohibit these people from using insurance payments and/or their own money to obtain medical services in addition to, or to augment the quality of, those services prescribed by the program.

We call upon all Senators and Representatives in the U. S. Congress to honor their oath to obey the U.S. Constitution by rescinding the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, and encouraged the legislatures of the several states to exercise their sovereignty under the 10th Amendment to deny implementation of said act

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

We denounce any civil government entity using age or any other personal characteristic to: preclude people and insurance firms from freely contracting for medical coverage; conscript such people into socialized medicine, e.g., Medicare; or prohibit these people from using insurance payments and/or their own money to obtain medical services in addition to, or to augment the quality of, those services prescribed by the program.

We call upon all Senators and Representatives in the U. S. Congress to honor their oath to obey the U.S. Constitution by rescinding the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, and encouraged the legislatures of the several states to exercise their sovereignty under the 10th Amendment to deny implementation of said act

Well, I don't think that actually accomplishes anything, but it probably made them feel better.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

He is the most solid of any of the politicians here in Texas, and many can identify with him, regardless of what you might think of him (which it seems has been influenced by the media).

The challenge for any politician is to try to convince those people who don't already agree with them.  I love pretty much everything Cruz says, and I'm sure a lot of his voters/supporters in Texas do as well.  The problem is that Texas voters are much more conservative than most voters in other states, so if you want to appeal to voters in other states, you can't just throw raw meat at those who already support you.

That's what Reagan was a master at -- he preached conservatism in a way that appealed to people who didn't even identify as conservatives.

Offline RoosGirl

Well, I don't think that actually accomplishes anything, but it probably made them feel better.

Oh, and much too idealistic to vote for any candidate that believes it, right? 

Offline roamer_1

IMO, @driftdiver the President has done an excellent job of exposing the underbelly of the Republican Party.  Now we (including members of the Senate---not just the voters) need to come together and work to replace them.

YES! Including him.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Perhaps you have not watched Ted Cruz as much as I have.  He is totally charismatic, fun, has a great sense of humor.  I still love his Princess Bride impersonation which, by the way, was condemned by that Ass Mandy Patikin as if he owns the movie.

Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline roamer_1

Nice rant, but it's exactly what happens when Republicans stay home because a candidate is not 'quite to their liking.'

It needs to start earlier, during the primaries.  If the Republicans ever realize we want conservatives we might get more of them.

Bull crap.
I am under no obligation WHATSOEVER to join with you and vote for 'the candidate' just because he has a big, fat, greasy 'R' next to his name... I never was so encumbered, and especially now, as I am no longer a Republican at all *SPIT!*  Screw that. Go have your silly little social club somewhere else, as I will never vote against my conscience again. I REFUSE to continue to keep putting feckless men into that or any other office.

You want my vote, It ain't hard. Give me something to vote *FOR*

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
   With all due respect @Maj. Bill Martin that was Sen. Cruz's FIRST run for a national public office, with less than 1 term as a US Senator as opposed to Trump's second or third, and with phenomenal Name Recognition and Peters of the National Enquirer in his back pocket, Trump read the dumbed-down reality TV American Public (aka Republicans) correctly, this time, unfortunately he's pissing it all away right now, IMHO
   He'll probably have to appear nude in some evangelical magazine, to do it again in 2020, of course I could be wrong.

True, @corbe.  I mean ... outside of Texas, Cruz was a virtual unknown.  And Trump was almost an institution.  Everybody had heard of Trump.  He was a novelty but a pretty good salesman.

Cruz wasn't even that well known in Texas but he's nationally known now.  I think if the primaries were held today, Cruz would win.

Unfortunately, they are not being held today.  And stop saying you could be wrong.  You know that's not even a possibility.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.