Author Topic: Four Texas Republicans in Congress were just outraised by Democratic challengers  (Read 639 times)

Offline libertybele

Please donate - even if you don't live in TX. IMHO as Texas goes, so goes this country.  We cannot afford for Texas to turn blue!

Four Texas Republicans in Congress were just outraised by Democratic challengers

There are early signs of Democratic enthusiasm in Texas in the latest round of federal campaign finance report filings over the weekend, but whether that fundraising support will translate into trouble for Republicans remains to be seen.

Four GOP incumbents from Texas – U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, and U.S. Reps. John Culberson of Houston, Ted Poe of Humble and Lamar Smith of San Antonio – found in recent days that their Democratic challengers had posted better fundraising hauls than they had in the second quarter of this year.

"It's happening in other places as well," said Achim Bergmann, a Democratic consultant who has clients across the country including one challenging Culberson. "It's particularly surprising and encouraging in a place like Texas, and it might be an indication of where Republicans are taking things for granted and are going to be sorry."
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
It worked so well for Jon Ossoff.  :silly:
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Not that there isn't danger of seats being lost but money raised doesn't mean squat if they don't get the votes.

In 2010 my congressman raised $4 million and defeated the incumbent democrat who raised $12 million.

Wingnut

Not that there isn't danger of seats being lost but money raised doesn't mean squat if they don't get the votes.

In 2010 my congressman raised $4 million and defeated the incumbent democrat who raised $12 million.

If the Dems can't find enough dead people to vote in those districts the money raised is a moot point.

Offline Frank Cannon

Poe and Culberson are being targeted because they look weak and are representing sections of purple Houston. Hitlary won Culbersons district by 1. Poes district has been a Rat area up until 12 years ago. It used to be Charlie Wilson's district.

Any thought that Cruz might lose is money wasted though.

Offline corbe

Ted Poe of Humble should be Primaried, he ceremoniously left the HFC at the crucial ACA Repeal Vote last month. He's a wanker.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Still, we've got to be careful.  The population of the state is changing so quickly and dramatically anything could happen.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
This is why I think Trump has been important and is a last stand, because Republican votes have to be found elsewhere and they can, Michigan, Pennsylvania, African-Americans and so on because already,  the Democrats do have a significant voting constituency in Texas and Georgia is next. They have those gerrymandering lawsuits and that's not a good omen.

Offline corbe

This is why I think Trump has been important and is a last stand, because Republican votes have to be found elsewhere and they can, Michigan, Pennsylvania, African-Americans and so on because already,  the Democrats do have a significant voting constituency in Texas and Georgia is next. They have those gerrymandering lawsuits and that's not a good omen.

@TomSea a year ago I would have agreed with you about the Texas gerrymandering question but it seems we are back on track as far as that is concerned, AG Sessions has filed a friend of the court brief and Gov Abbott is gonna further strengthen them in the current Special Session.  Odds are good. IMHO
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
   @TomSea a year ago I would have agreed with you about the Texas gerrymandering question but it seems we are back on track as far as that is concerned, AG Sessions has filed a friend of the court brief and Gov Abbott is gonna further strengthen them in the current Special Session.  Odds are good. IMHO

What about Sheila Jackson Lee?  No way she could win in a fair election.   :laugh:

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
What about Sheila Jackson Lee?  No way she could win in a fair election.   :laugh:

I think her constituency gives her the "self=parody" discount.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline corbe

If I'm not mistaken there are a few Congressional districts in Texas that have not escaped the scrutiny of the TX Legislature and fortunately one is mine, District 35, I am represented by a$$hat Lloyd Doggett, San Antonio and Austin insure his reelection every time.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
   If I'm not mistaken there are a few Congressional districts in Texas that have not escaped the scrutiny of the TX Legislature and fortunately one is mine, District 35, I am represented by a$$hat Lloyd Doggett, San Antonio and Austin insure his reelection every time.

Dayum....That district looks like a haLf eaten Praying Mantis.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 04:13:03 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

That's pronounced "dodge-it" you know.

Offline libertybele

Still, we've got to be careful.  The population of the state is changing so quickly and dramatically anything could happen.

:patriot: Exactly.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.