Author Topic: Sorry, but artificial sweeteners won’t help you lose weight  (Read 493 times)

rangerrebew

Sorry, but artificial sweeteners won’t help you lose weight

By Sara Chodosh Yesterday at 12:27pm

If you’re gonna call something “diet,” it should have to actually help you lose weight. But like dieting itself, diet foods don’t work as well in practice as they do in theory.

So put down that Coke Zero and listen up. Maybe you think the jury is still out on artificial sweeteners. Someone once told you they cause cancer. Someone else said they could help you kick your sugar habit. Yet another person claimed that only natural sweeteners are healthy, so you considered switching to stevia. Well, there’s good news and bad news.

http://www.popsci.com/artificial-sweeteners-lose-weight#page-2
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 11:36:57 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Applewood

Re: Sorry, but artificial sweeteners won’t help you lose weight
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 09:19:30 pm »
I'm convinced artificial sweeteners actually make me GAIN weight.  They make me hungry, I eat too much, I gain pounds.

Silver Pines

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 10:13:27 pm »
Sugar won't help with weight loss, either.  And it could possibly help in the development of diabetes.

I'm not looking to lose weight, so I'll stick with diet soft drinks and sweetener in my coffee.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 10:33:05 pm »
Sugar won't help with weight loss, either.  And it could possibly help in the development of diabetes.

I'm not looking to lose weight, so I'll stick with diet soft drinks and sweetener in my coffee.

You're right that excess sugar is bad for you. These days I don't drink any sodas -- regular or diet, or fruit juices.  I use almond milk in my hot tea and for a cold beverage, I just drink water. 

To each his or her own...until the nanny state one day tells us otherwise.

Silver Pines

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 10:39:36 pm »
You're right that excess sugar is bad for you. These days I don't drink any sodas -- regular or diet, or fruit juices.  I use almond milk in my hot tea and for a cold beverage, I just drink water. 

To each his or her own...until the nanny state one day tells us otherwise.

Agreed.  I drink a good amount of water. but I love a Diet Mt.Dew.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 11:06:00 pm »
Nutrasweet breaks down and releases formaldehyde in your body.   While other foods do as well, the formaldehyde in other foods is bound to other compounds which prevent your body from breaking it down.    In nutrasweet the formaldehyde is free which allows it to interact with your body.   Several studies show it is a carcinogen in this form.

Splenda is a synthetic molecule where the sugar molecule (sucrose ) is bound to chlorine atoms.  This is what keeps your body from breaking it down.  You get the sweet without the calories.    However I've read some articles which compare it to pesticides chemically because it is similar to a chlorocarbon.  For me personally I don't feel good after using it.

Stevia and agava arent as sweet as sugar but are natural if you buy the right ones.

Personally, I use sugar or nothing.   I've found that you can decrease the amount of sugar you use dramatically.  Once your palate adjusts you find it just isn't necessary to have so much sweetner.     Honey of course is natural if you are actually using honey.  Much of the honey sold in stores is honey mixed with corn syrup.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Silver Pines

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 11:27:44 pm »
Nutrasweet breaks down and releases formaldehyde in your body.   While other foods do as well, the formaldehyde in other foods is bound to other compounds which prevent your body from breaking it down.    In nutrasweet the formaldehyde is free which allows it to interact with your body.   Several studies show it is a carcinogen in this form.

Splenda is a synthetic molecule where the sugar molecule (sucrose ) is bound to chlorine atoms.  This is what keeps your body from breaking it down.  You get the sweet without the calories.    However I've read some articles which compare it to pesticides chemically because it is similar to a chlorocarbon.  For me personally I don't feel good after using it.

Stevia and agava arent as sweet as sugar but are natural if you buy the right ones.

Personally, I use sugar or nothing.   I've found that you can decrease the amount of sugar you use dramatically.  Once your palate adjusts you find it just isn't necessary to have so much sweetner.     Honey of course is natural if you are actually using honey.  Much of the honey sold in stores is honey mixed with corn syrup.

@driftdiver

I don't want to use sugar.  Or honey...they're both natural and they both have the same effect on the body. 

It's the pink stuff in my coffee and...I just had a Mt. Dew and I'm not sure what's in it.   Oh, okay, it's Nutrasweet.