Author Topic: Jeff Sessions Announces Justice Department Will Increase Asset Forfeiture  (Read 2010 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
“No criminal should be allowed to keep the proceeds of their crime,” Sessions says of law that lets police take cash without charging anyone with a crime.
By C.J. Ciaramella
http://reason.com/blog/2017/07/17/sessions-announces-justice-department-wi/print

U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions said the Justice Department will issue new directives to increase the federal
govenment's use of civil asset forfeiture, a controversial practice that allows law enforcement to seize property from
suspected criminals without charging them with a crime.

Speaking at a National District Attorneys Association conference in Minneapolis Monday, Sessions said state and local law
enforcement could expect changes from U.S. Attorneys in several areas: increased prosecution of gun crimes, immigration
offenses, gang activity, and prescription drug abuse, as well as increased asset seizure by the federal government.

"[W]e hope to issue this week a new directive on asset forfeiture—especially for drug traffickers," Sessions said. "With care
and professionalism, we plan to develop policies to increase forfeitures. No criminal should be allowed to keep the proceeds
of their crime. Adoptive forfeitures are appropriate as is sharing with our partners" . . .

. . . Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT), a consistent Republican advocate for reforming asset forfeiture laws, said in a statement to Reason
Monday: "As Justice Thomas has previously said, there are serious constitutional concerns regarding modern civil asset
forfeiture practices. The Department has an obligation to consider due process constraints in crafting its civil asset forfeiture
policies."

Lee was referring to conservative Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas' notable dissent in an asset forfeiture case this June.
Thomas wrote that forfeiture operations "frequently target the poor and other groups least able to defend their interests in
forfeiture proceedings" . . .

. . . Sessions' upcoming directive to increase asset forfeiture comes as little surprise. Sessions, a former prosecutor and U.S.
senator, has been a stalwart defender of asset forfeiture throughout his career. He has already dismantled Obama-era directives
on drug sentencing guidelines and ordered a review of all of the existing consent agreements between the Justice Department
and police departments that were found to be violating residents' constitutional rights.

Another Republican critic of asset forfeiture, Rep. Justin Amash of Michigan, tweeted Monday that "This policy takes us backward.
Congress must step up to protect the property of Americans from a government that keeps stealing from them."
#CluelessJeff strikes again.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Thank God my state has been making civil asset forfeiture harder.

Online DB

And this was the core reason I could not support Sessions as AG.

This is no minor thing.

It is big government run amok violating the basic principles of our constitution.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
A billion dollar criminal industry under the color of law was just green-lit to go full tilt.

I imagine once the Dems regain control - this will be a wonderful mechanism to truly 'redistribute wealth' if the GOP doesn't beat them to the game and call firsts on the dibs.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline EasyAce

And this was the core reason I could not support Sessions as AG.

This is no minor thing.
You and me both

It is big government as the nation's largest organised crime family, run amok violating the basic principles of our constitution.
Fixed! ;)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

“No criminal should be allowed to keep the proceeds of their crime,” Sessions says

I wholeheartedly agree.  No government should be able to steal the assets of its citizens.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
No Conviction for a crime you don't get a dime. EFF you, Sessions and your thieves.
14th Amendment
No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

5th Amendment
...nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;

Just up and deciding you're going to take sh*t is not "Due Process of Law".

It's robbery under color of law.

Just ripping people off might get someone shot.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Frank Cannon

I can't tell if Session is the most corrupt or just the stupidest AG we have ever had. His advancing of issues like this is appalling. Time for congress to get a set of balls and tell Sessions this phony bullshit seizing assets without due process ends now.

Offline EasyAce

I can't tell if Session is the most corrupt or just the stupidest AG we have ever had.

Yes.

Time for congress to get a set of balls . . .
You do believe in miracles!

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
I can't tell if Session is the most corrupt or just the stupidest AG we have ever had. His advancing of issues like this is appalling. Time for congress to get a set of balls and tell Sessions this phony bullshit seizing assets without due process ends now.

He is not stupid so let's go with the former and add that he is saddled with the same hubris and despotism-prone zealotry most of the rest of our government "representatives" have.

Just Google the instances of the millions upon millions this asset forfeiture "industry" is netting for law enforcement.  Cops are just become Highwaymen with this policy and they are happy and eager to get in on the share.

This is a hell of a lot more direct and dangerous than even failing to repeal ObamaCare.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Frank Cannon

This is a hell of a lot more direct and dangerous than even failing to repeal ObamaCare.

I'll say, and just like Zerocare congress will do nothing. AF will only be eliminated by a ruling from the Supreme Court which looks hopeful.

Offline anubias

Sessions is out of his GD mind.   **nononono*

Online DB

This isn't anything new with Sessions and it should have disqualified him from ever being appointed the chief law enforcement officer.

It is fundamentally wrong and in direct conflict with the constitution. These actions give conservatives a very bad name and have long lasting consequences.

Offline Cripplecreek

So where does Trump stand on this since nobody seems to want to ask?

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

LOL!   Must be a 'plot'...to grab the drug cartel $$$ for "The Wall".
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Oceander

Thank God my state has been making civil asset forfeiture harder.

So now they'll simply get the Feds involved in some minor way so the Feds can seize assets and then "share" them with their "partners" in your local law enforcement. 

Oceander

Since he is wholeheartedly in favor of taking by condemnation for private use, he's almost certainly in favor of this as well. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Well, the AG that he  fought for and got appointed is the one making the statement on civil asset stealing.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
“No criminal should be allowed to keep the proceeds of their crime,” Sessions says of law that lets police take cash without charging anyone with a crime.

Must be a tough job.  6 months in and Sessions has already started Crack.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Cripplecreek

So now they'll simply get the Feds involved in some minor way so the Feds can seize assets and then "share" them with their "partners" in your local law enforcement.

More likely they'll fight against federal involvement. Michigan has been pretty good about resisting the feds in recent years like refusing to enforce or collect fines for breaking federal regulatory laws that no layman has a reasonable expectation of knowing.

Offline Cripplecreek

Since he is wholeheartedly in favor of taking by condemnation for private use, he's almost certainly in favor of this as well.

Oddly enough, where John Roberts stood on eminent domain was the question I had and was roundly attacked for at the time of his nomination. I was called a democrat for asking the same question of Gorsuch.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
No Conviction for a crime you don't get a dime. EFF you, Sessions and your thieves.
14th Amendment
5th Amendment
Just up and deciding you're going to take sh*t is not "Due Process of Law".

It's robbery under color of law.

Just ripping people off might get someone shot.

That hasn't been true since Bush I.  They take what they want, when they want and will punish you if you complain.   
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
That hasn't been true since Bush I.  They take what they want, when they want and will punish you if you complain.

You  know..... our forefathers went to war with their tyrannical government over much, much less.

I guess we are willing to suffer evil, because evils are sufferable rather than abolish the form to which we have all become accustomed.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Ruby Ridge happened under Bush 1. Waco started under Bush1 (Surveillance and planning), Clinton (Reno) just finished it. https://www.texasobserver.org/the-standoff-in-waco/

You are right that this has been going on for quite a while. That does not make it right.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
You got intelligence leaks and whole agencies defying the President, all sorts of other liberal shenanigans, and this is what you do with your position Sessions? Completely tone deaf and Constitutionally wrong.
The Republic is lost.