Author Topic: Fuel prices in North Korea surge after China cuts oil sales  (Read 973 times)

Wingnut

Not sure what if any effect this will have since like only three people have cars in NOK

http://www.businessinsider.com/north-korea-fuel-prices-surge-after-china-cuts-oil-sales-2017-7?r=UK&IR=T

Offline thackney

Re: Fuel prices in North Korea surge after China cuts oil sales
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 01:05:14 pm »
Not sure what if any effect this will have since like only three people have cars in NOK

http://www.businessinsider.com/north-korea-fuel-prices-surge-after-china-cuts-oil-sales-2017-7?r=UK&IR=T

Last year, China shipped to North Korea more than 96,000 tonnes of gasoline and nearly 45,000 tonnes of diesel, worth a combined $64 million.

Those three must drive a lot.

It may reach a point to effect logistics of fueling the army.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 01:07:13 pm »

My first thought as well.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 01:10:51 pm »
Those three must drive a lot.

It may reach a point to effect logistics of fueling the army.

It effects three things.   The military readiness some but more it reduces the money they have for other weapons.  Mostly it impacts the ruling class.  The ruling class like their luxury.   There are more than 3 cars in NK.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 01:26:09 pm »
It effects three things.   The military readiness some but more it reduces the money they have for other weapons.  Mostly it impacts the ruling class.  The ruling class like their luxury.   There are more than 3 cars in NK.

If you watched the old man's funeral in NK they are still running 70's Lincoln Continentals. Those would blow through gas fast.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 01:30:30 pm »
If you watched the old man's funeral in NK they are still running 70's Lincoln Continentals. Those would blow through gas fast.

SHTF scenario when punk leader can't make it down to the state store to pick up latest version of his favorite video game.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Wingnut

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 01:31:37 pm »

Going in style.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 01:33:10 pm »
Title is misleading as it says 'oil' sales when article says 'fuel' sales.

There is a big difference as there are few refineries in North Korea for oil to be refined, so the country depends a lot on refined fuel to be shipped in for its uses.  There just are not that many countries willing to do that, so that is the reason this is a big deal when China holds up shipping it fuel.

On the other hand, a number of countries, Iran is the biggest example, would ship crude to NK.  Except, without the limited ability to refine crude, it does not little good.

I recall during apartheid no one wished to sell crude or refined products to South Africa.  It made up for the shortfall by making its own fuels out of the abundant coal reserves it has, and Sasol became the leading producer of gasoline-from-coal in the world.  Hitler did the same when the oil fields of Eastern Europe were closed off from him.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 01:40:06 pm »
SHTF scenario when punk leader can't make it down to the state store to pick up latest version of his favorite video game.

He will fill it with $3,000 a bottle Hennessy Cognac or Russian Vodka if he has to, what does he care.

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 01:59:55 pm »

You're forgetting how backward the DPRK really is.  Cutting fuel cuts kerosene for heat and cooking, and there are *some* diesel and gasoline tractors in their agricultural sector (even if they also have charcoal fueled farm vehicles).
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 02:10:59 pm »

You're forgetting how backward the DPRK really is.  Cutting fuel cuts kerosene for heat and cooking, and there are *some* diesel and gasoline tractors in their agricultural sector (even if they also have charcoal fueled farm vehicles).

As we've seen with NK before, the people will just have to do without or make do even if it means eating grass or their dead.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 02:12:40 pm »

I believe a lot of the common people use Coal for heat and cooking.   Kerosene requires an upgrade that only the rich have.