Author Topic: Why these professors are warning against promoting the work of straight, white men  (Read 775 times)

rangerrebew

Why these professors are warning against promoting the work of straight, white men
By Kristine Phillips July 16 at 2:38 PM

Academics and scholars must be mindful about using research done by only straight, white men, according to two scientists who argued that it oppresses diverse voices and bolsters the status of already privileged and established white male scholars.

Geographers Carrie Mott and Daniel Cockayne argued in a recent paper that doing so also perpetuates what they call “white heteromasculinism,” which they defined as a “system of oppression” that benefits only those who are “white, male, able-bodied, economically privileged, heterosexual, and cisgendered.” (Cisgendered describes people whose gender identity matches their birth sex.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2017/07/16/feminist-scientists-say-citing-research-by-straight-white-men-promotes-a-system-of-oppression/?utm_term=.43b8a147a503
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 03:23:22 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Joe Wooten

Academia has gone way over the line into complete insanity. No hope of recovery.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Academia has gone way over the line into complete insanity. No hope of recovery.

Its a pretty destructive behavior.

Imagine the world today if the work of DaVinci, Saulk, or Tesla had been rejected on the same basis.

The very same thing goes on in the arts as well. I hear all the time that artistry can only come from liberalism but I know better.

Offline skeeter

The "why" is pretty straightforward.

Primative, even.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

With similar kinds of talk that was said about the Jews during the Third Reich.
The Republic is lost.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Let them live what they preach, they should avoid making use of anything in their daily lives that was created by or advanced upon the work of straight, White men! 22222frying pan

Offline thackney

So to avoid racism, sexism and genderism, they want to judge the work based on the originators race, sex and gender-bias?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Joe Wooten

Let them live what they preach, they should avoid making use of anything in their daily lives that was created by or advanced upon the work of straight, White men! 22222frying pan

I look forward to them learning how to use and ride horses, donkeys, and camels instead of using the inventions of Mr. Daimler and Mr. Ford...........

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I look forward to them learning how to use and ride horses, donkeys, and camels instead of using the inventions of Mr. Daimler and Mr. Ford...........

Just try to not sell one of these weirdos a car and see that happens to you.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Joe Wooten

Just try to not sell one of these weirdos a car and see that happens to you.

Take it away from them on grounds of cultural appropriation. Their culture did not invent it, so they cannot use cars.