Author Topic: Neighbors mourn woman fatally shot by police officer in Minneapolis  (Read 1265 times)

Online Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
"A 40-year-old woman who family members said called 911 to report a possible assault in the alley behind her home Saturday night was fatally shot by a Minneapolis police officer."

http://www.startribune.com/woman-killed-in-officer-involved-shooting-in-south-minneapolis/434782213/#1

-----------------

Need a lot more information, but we may only hear one side of the story.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Neighbors mourn woman fatally shot by police officer in Minneapolis
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 12:34:38 pm »
Something there just doesn't make any sense, at least in that article. Why would the officer on the passenger side shoot her through the driver's door while she was supposedly talking with the officer at the wheel? The rest of that seems to be obit aimed at getting people riled or memorializing her, with one dig at gun ownership, but the article is short on facts.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 01:57:05 pm »
I think it is safe to say the officer showed very poor trigger discipline.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 02:25:09 pm »
I'm disturbed that some fringe group is at least peripherally involved.   What the H is Women's March Minnesota?  Another Soros anarchy group? 

Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 02:28:03 pm »
I'm disturbed that some fringe group is at least peripherally involved.   What the H is Women's March Minnesota?  Another Soros anarchy group?

MLPS is a hotbed for the Pu$$y hat marchers and such.   

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 02:59:52 pm »
If there's one thing I've learned about these incidences as reported in the media is to wait for more info....a lot more info. It might turn out to be a trigger-happy cop and a terrible shooting. 
But it might turn out to be something else.
Certainly, the idiot Dem gov. of Minnesota, Mark Dayton, couldn't wait to put in his usually stupid comments.
Let's wait for more info before we make judgements.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 03:20:13 pm »
Apparently she was shot thru the door of the police car while talking to them. Not much more info than that.
The Republic is lost.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 05:16:05 pm »
Supposedly , Mohammed Noor is the officer. Looks Somali to me.

http://kstp.com/news/mohamed-noor-officer-involved-shooting-justine-diamond-fatal-minneapolis-shooting/4544324/

"Sources say", so maybe someone in the police department or elsewhere, did not like how this story is going down. Picture at link.

Despicable story, we don't know all of the facts, but it sure looks like there was no reason to shoot that woman.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 05:17:15 pm by TomSea »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 05:19:18 pm »
If there's one thing I've learned about these incidences as reported in the media is to wait for more info....a lot more info. It might turn out to be a trigger-happy cop and a terrible shooting. 
Certainly, the idiot Dem gov. of Minnesota, Mark Dayton, couldn't wait to put in his usually stupid comments.

Remind you of a certain former president?  The cops acted stupidly.

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 05:23:40 pm »

:thumbsup:

Wingnut

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 06:06:41 pm »

A source with direct knowledge of the shooting said Monday that the woman was shot multiple times. The source said that Noor was sitting in the passenger seat at the time of the shooting.

I'm not saying it looks bad for that cop.  But it looks bad for that cop.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 11:29:53 pm »
Mohamed Noor: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

Heavy, July 17, 2017 (thanks to Richard):
Mohamed Noor, the Minneapolis police officer who is accused of shooting and killing Justine Damond, an Australian yoga teacher and spiritual healer, was the first Somali-American officer in his precinct.

A year ago, the arrival of Noor on the Minnesota police force was celebrated by the mayor and Somali community he hails from. There is a pending federal complaint against him, though, by a former social worker from Minneapolis who says Noor and other officers violated her constitutional rights in March by ordering her detention at a hospital after she called 911 to report a drug crime and other issues. You can read that complaint below.

Damond was shot and killed while wearing her pajamas and speaking to another police officer after calling 911 to report a possible assault in an alley behind her home on July 15, reports The Minneapolis Star-Tribune.

The shooting death has caused outrage in both Australia and Minnesota, where Damond, who also went by the name Justine Ruszczyk, was a beloved teacher of meditation who held betterment workshops and was supposed to be married in August.  ...
More at Pamela Geller. It would appear that this guy was the affirmative action Muslim hire.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 11:34:50 pm »
I'm not saying it looks bad for that cop.  But it looks bad for that cop.

Apparently he shot out the drivers side window from the passenger seat with the gun right in front of his partner's face. Happened so fast the partner couldn't even react and was left completely stunned and never even made a move. The only thing she puportedly had in her hand was a cell phone.
The Republic is lost.

Wingnut

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 11:50:37 pm »
Never give a Somali a gun. 

rangerrebew

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2017, 12:35:47 pm »
Minneapolis Somali police officer, shoots and kills woman who called 911

Posted by Ann Corcoran on July 18, 2017

The 40-year-old Australian woman had called 911 to report a disturbance in an alley near the home she shared with her fiance. As  she walked to the responding officers’ car, reportedly in her pajamas, she was shot by officer Mohamed Noor, one of the city’s newest diversity picks for its police force.

Justine who is described as a 40 year old veterinarian and yoga instructor from Australia was inexplicably killed by a Somali refugee cum police officer. Dare I say, white lives matter.

I heard about the story on our local radio station yesterday, but not a word about the shooter, until I read Leo Hohmann’s report at WND last night.  Believe it or not, but CNN was reporting the story this morning complete with the officer’s name scrolled below the report.  CNN said Officer Noor apologized and said he had her friends and family in his “thoughts and prayers.”

There was no explanation given in the CNN report about why he shot the unarmed woman, or why the officers’ body cameras were turned off.

Here is Hohmann at WND:

https://refugeeresettlementwatch.wordpress.com/2017/07/18/minneapolis-somali-police-officer-shoots-and-kills-woman-who-called-911/
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 12:36:29 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Mod1

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2017, 12:56:17 pm »
Threads merged.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2017, 01:10:16 pm »
Just what we need -- supposed news stories from World Nut Daily and other cranks. 

Right now, we don't know what happened and neither do the nutcase websites.  How about we all wait for facts?

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2017, 01:26:06 pm »
The story has been covered in the "legitimate" news media, not just so-called nutcase sites.

The WashPost is worried about backlash against Muslims, of course:
After Minneapolis officer in police shooting is named, Somali community braces for backlash
By Katie Mettler July 18 at 7:39 AM

When Mohamed Noor joined the Minneapolis police force and was assigned to patrol the city’s southwest corner, the Somali community there — the nation’s largest — threw a party for him to celebrate.

He was the first Somali American officer to serve in Minneapolis’s fifth precinct and one of less than a dozen Somali American officers in the department. His presence on the squad brought Somali activists some pride and reassurance at a time of Islamophobia in America and nationwide racial tension stoked in part by shootings of black people by white police officers.

Now that same Somali community is bracing for a backlash against Noor that has already begun.

On Monday, multiple media outlets named Noor as the officer who fatally shot an unarmed Australian woman in the city’s popular Fulton neighborhood over the weekend, an incident that has grabbed global attention and thrust Minneapolis into yet another uproar over police violence. ...
The Star Tribune has reported the story from the outset:
Justine Damond died from gunshot wound to abdomen, medical examiner says
Police bodycams should have been on, Freeman says. Chief Harteau calls for swift BCA investigation. Medical examiner says shot to abdomen caused death.
By Andy Mannix Star Tribune
July 18, 2017 — 6:10am

The death of Justine Damond, who called 911 to report a possible crime only to be killed by a responding Minneapolis police officer, has left her grieving family, neighborhood and nation demanding answers in the latest police-involved shooting to thrust Minnesota into the international spotlight.

While many of the details about what happened Saturday night in the city’s southwest corner have not been disclosed, this much was: She called to report a possible assault in the alley behind her house in one of the city’s safest neighborhoods and was unarmed when officer Mohamed Noor shot her.

Amid a public outpouring of grief and outrage, Chief Janeé Harteau issued her first comments on the shooting, saying she too wanted an explanation, and called on the state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension to perform a speedy investigation.

The Hennepin County medical examiner said Monday evening that Damond, also known as Justine Ruszczyk, died from a gunshot wound to the abdomen. ...

After confirming Sunday that there was no body camera or dashcam footage of the incident, the agency said the investigation “does not determine whether a law enforcement agency policy was violated. That would be reviewed through the agency’s internal affairs process.”

Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman said his office is monitoring the case, and he would decide himself whether to charge Noor with the shooting, rather than a grand jury — echoing the Clark case, in which he decided not to charge the officers and released evidence from the investigation.

Freeman said he believes Noor’s body camera should have been running at the time of the shooting. ...
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2017, 01:46:29 pm »
@mountaineer

Thanks. I wasn't clear.  Yes, I knew the story was reported by legitimate news sources.  i just get annoyed at the cranks who interject conspiracy theories and project their bigotry into their "reports" and call them news.  Bad enough legitimate news sites don't give us the facts.

I admit that there is a lot that is suspicious about this story on its face.  But I'd rather wait for the authorities to determine if there is any wrongdoing.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2017, 02:44:42 pm »
@mountaineer

Thanks. I wasn't clear.  Yes, I knew the story was reported by legitimate news sources.  i just get annoyed at the cranks who interject conspiracy theories and project their bigotry into their "reports" and call them news.  Bad enough legitimate news sites don't give us the facts.

I admit that there is a lot that is suspicious about this story on its face.  But I'd rather wait for the authorities to determine if there is any wrongdoing.
There is no problem with wanting to be sure of facts and avoid jumping to conclusions.

Unusual in this instance is that in an upscale middle class neighborhood the person talking with the driver of the police car is shot by the policeman riding shotgun. The bullet had to pass in front of the officer at the wheel in order to get from the officer who fired his weapon to the victim, who, in this case, was the one who called police.
This would be unusual firearm handling, even in the most dire circumstances, because of the risk of injury to the officer behind the wheel from muzzle flash if not the bullet itself, and would be something I would expect to be done only in the most dire circumstance to stop a perp from shooting the other officer at very close range, because the risk of the officer being shot by his partner.
Without vehicle/bodycam camera footage, that motive is not evident, and without a weapon in her hands, questionable. I will wait for the results of the investigation, but can see where there might be motive to whitewash incompetence or malice for reasons yet unknown.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2017, 02:54:20 pm »
@mountaineer

@Applewood, not picking a fight, but I find that statement terrifying.

Wingnut

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2017, 04:48:15 pm »
I have no problem offering a theory about what is going on.
1. it was a bad shooting. 
B. They are trying to find a way to cover up or hide or lessen the fact the moslum affirmative action hire received poor training and that the mayors office and city council fast tracked an obvious unqualified candidate to patrol officer when he should have been a meter maid at most.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2017, 06:36:42 pm »
I have no problem offering a theory about what is going on.
1. it was a bad shooting. 
B. They are trying to find a way to cover up or hide or lessen the fact the moslum affirmative action hire received poor training and that the mayors office and city council fast tracked an obvious unqualified candidate to patrol officer when he should have been a meter maid at most.
This is why AA or (Affirmative Discrimination as I call it) should be abolished.  AA gets people killed by incompetents whether it's a policeman who guns down a woman trying to talk to another policeman or some fireman who can't handle or understand the equipment he's been given.  Anybody want an AA heart surgeon operating on them?
If Trump would speak out about this, I'd have a lot more respect for him.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2017, 07:19:18 pm »
This is why AA or (Affirmative Discrimination as I call it) should be abolished.  AA gets people killed by incompetents whether it's a policeman who guns down a woman trying to talk to another policeman or some fireman who can't handle or understand the equipment he's been given.  Anybody want an AA heart surgeon operating on them?
If Trump would speak out about this, I'd have a lot more respect for him.

I tried to become a police officer twice after the navy.  For 4 openings each time The written test was given to about 300 applicants at the same time. Out of that they only took the top 5 percent in test scores followed by a battery of other test and interviews tell they had the final 4.

Needless to say it was not the path meant for me.

Point being it needs to be tough to get in.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn