Author Topic: Dropped Charges Due to “Cultural Incompetency” Demonstrates Exactly Why Assimilation is Vital  (Read 597 times)

rangerrebew

Dropped Charges Due to “Cultural Incompetency” Demonstrates Exactly Why Assimilation is Vital

Posted by Spencer Raley | Jul 12, 2017 | Immigration Blog Posts, Law & Justice | 27 |

Assimilation is one of the most critical aspects of any successful immigration system. It determines whether an aspiring migrant will be able to adapt to a nation’s values, laws, and culture. And no, this type of assimilation doesn’t mean that one must throw away all of the cultural heritage that makes a person who they are. Rather, it means that they must reconcile their heritage with the laws and values of the nation they wish to join.

A breaking story in New Hampshire highlights the importance of this concept. According to court records obtained by the New Hampshire Union Leader, a prosecutor dropped domestic violence charges against Augustin Bahati, a Congolese refugee, when she unilaterally decided “that he lacked the cultural competency to participate in the American justice system.” In essence, this means that the prosecutor determined Bahati was still so rooted in his old culture – where domestic violence is presumably acceptable – that he was incapable of being legally responsible for violating American domestic abuse laws.

http://immigrationreform.com/2017/07/12/charges-dropped-due-to-cultural-incompetence/
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 11:08:01 am by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

This must be the same judge who bought the "affluenza" defense. :tongue2:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Perhaps this person should be sent somewhere where he can be more 'culturally competent'.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Wingnut

Perhaps this person should be sent somewhere where he can be more 'culturally competent'.

That would be the only rational conclusion.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Because liberals only care about immigrants cleaning toilets and giving the Dems illegal votes. But obey our laws? That's racist and bigoted!
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Because liberals only care about immigrants cleaning toilets and giving the Dems illegal votes. But obey our laws? That's racist and bigoted!
If I go to Somalia and break their laws, I can just about guarantee I'd be prosecuted (or whatever passes for it) there, whether I had any understanding of their law or not. We should afford visitors to our fair land that same opportunity, whether they claim to be 'refugees' or not.

While prosecutorial discretion remains, the prosecutor should have her judicial competence questioned as well.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 05:48:00 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline berdie

If I go to Somalia and break their laws, I can just about guarantee I'd be prosecuted (or whatever passes for it) there, whether I had any understanding of their law or not. We should afford visitors to our fair land that same opportunity, whether they claim to be 'refugees' or not.

While prosecutorial discretion remains, the prosecutor should have her judicial competence questioned as well.

May I give this a loud AMEN?