Author Topic: Heart of brightness: Astronomers map the inside of a supernova  (Read 1077 times)

rangerrebew

Heart of brightness: Astronomers map the inside of a supernova
By Dyllan Furness — Posted on July 17, 2017 6:12 am

Why it matters to you

By revealing how molecules form in the aftermath of supernovae, scientists can better describe the origin of planets and life.

A supernova is easily the most brilliant event in the universe. At the end of its short life, a massive star erupts with such intensity that it can outshine its home galaxy, create new elements, and form new molecules through the destruction of others.

The first recorded observation of a supernova dates all the way back to 185 AD, but it wasn’t until recently that scientists have been able to map what occurs at the core of these explosions. Now, thanks to computer models of a supernova first witnessed 30 years ago, astronomers at National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO) have been able to depict the inside of this event.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/supernova-3d-mapping/
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 02:07:39 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Joe Wooten

Re: Heart of brightness: Astronomers map the inside of a supernova
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 03:25:52 pm »
Heart of brightness: Astronomers map the inside of a supernova
By Dyllan Furness — Posted on July 17, 2017 6:12 am

Why it matters to you

By revealing how molecules form in the aftermath of supernovae, scientists can better describe the origin of planets and life.

A supernova is easily the most brilliant event in the universe. At the end of its short life, a massive star erupts with such intensity that it can outshine its home galaxy, create new elements, and form new molecules through the destruction of others.

The first recorded observation of a supernova dates all the way back to 185 AD, but it wasn’t until recently that scientists have been able to map what occurs at the core of these explosions. Now, thanks to computer models of a supernova first witnessed 30 years ago, astronomers at National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO) have been able to depictwhat they think is the inside of this event.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/supernova-3d-mapping/

Made an addition. The computer model really has no way to be verified if it is correct at this time. it is their best guess based upon current theories.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 04:01:24 pm »
Made an addition. The computer model really has no way to be verified if it is correct at this time. it is their best guess based upon current theories.

I'm sure they have direct measurements of the inside of an exploding star.   *****rollingeyes*****
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 04:04:56 pm »
I'm sure they have direct measurements of the inside of an exploding star.   *****rollingeyes*****

I am REALLY getting tired of the "I F#@&king Love Science" crowd, writing stories like this.