Author Topic: France’s Macron Says His Charm Offensive May Soften Trump’s Climate Stance  (Read 1090 times)

Online corbe

France’s Macron Says His Charm Offensive May Soften Trump’s Climate Stance

by Associated Press

PARIS — French President Emmanuel Macron said his glamorous Paris charm offensive on Donald Trump was carefully calculated — and may have changed the U.S. president's mind about climate change.

Macron defended his outreach to Trump, whose "America first" policies have elicited worry and disdain in Europe.

"Our countries are friends, so we should be too," Macron said in an interview Sunday in the Journal du dimanche newspaper.

After a tense, white-knuckle handshake at their first meeting in May, Macron said they gained "better, intimate knowledge of each other" during Trump's visit to Paris last week.

On their main point of contention — Trump's withdrawal from the landmark Paris climate agreement — Macron is quoted as saying that "Donald Trump listened to me. He understood the reason for my position, notably the link between climate change and terrorism."

Increasing droughts and other extreme weather blamed on man-made climate change are worsening migration crises and conflicts in some regions as populations fight over dwindling resources.

"He said he would try to find a solution in the coming months. We spoke in detail about what could allow him to return to the Paris deal," Macron said, according to the newspaper.

While in Paris, Trump remained non-committal about the U.S. eventually rejoining the climate agreement, telling Macron, "if it happens that will be wonderful, and if it doesn't that will be OK too." Trump has said the climate deal was unfair to U.S. business.

<..snip..>

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/france-s-macron-says-his-charm-offensive-may-soften-trump-n783521
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online corbe

2nd attempt at this Post, a little more info and a better representative Headline.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Wingnut

I think this was debunked in another thread this morning?

Online corbe

As the originator of that earlier thread and the constant bitching about the misleading headline I asked the mods to delete it. Trying again.

Just kidding about the bitching, I love all Briefers equally.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I think this was debunked in another thread this morning?

I'm not in the mood to do the lifting again either.   :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Wingnut

I'm not in the mood to do the lifting again either.   :shrug:

I could throw out a few disparaging comments.  Start a dumpster fire.   But I'm just too plum tuckered out.   So Corbe....you is own your own brother.  Take it to the limit.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I could throw out a few disparaging comments.  Start a dumpster fire.   But I'm just too plum tuckered out.   So Corbe....you is own your own brother.  Take it to the limit.

:laugh:

OK, another shot, because I really like @corbe .

Trump hasn't altered his position, but the French have altered their view of it.  This is Franco domestic politics going on here, and we shouldn't read too much into that.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:11:12 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline endicom

This is Franco domestic politics going on here...

Then he's not still dead?

Wingnut

Where is SNL's Weekend Update when we need it?

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Not that Franco, the other kind.  Like Franco American...Spaghettios.  French.
I will NOT comply.

Wingnut

Not that Franco, the other kind.  Like Franco American...Spaghettios.  French.
The results are the same

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9dhklo8cac&ab_channel=A%2FVGeeks
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 09:07:04 pm by Wingnut »

Online corbe

Tough Crowd here, Today.

Wingnut

Tough Crowd here, Today.

Today?   :pondering:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
   Tough Crowd here, Today.

It's Sunday.
I will NOT comply.

Wingnut

It's Sunday.

Really.   Damn.  Lost a day.  Again

Online corbe

I need another Teacher Thread, for my dreams tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rls8cfomkBQ

Wingnut

I need another Teacher Thread, for my dreams tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rls8cfomkBQ

Very apropos.  And might I add a beautiful musical choice.

I thought of you more of a boy like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cVpkzZpDBA&ab_channel=SongsofHarry

Online corbe

Love Chapin @Wingnut but this more aptly describes my school years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kca5E3xk8II

Does it show?

Wingnut

Love Chapin @Wingnut but this more aptly describes my school years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kca5E3xk8II

Does it show?

I watched it to the end.  Very poignant.  And depressing.  I hope you can move