Author Topic: SRAM 4mm Slickwire Road and Mountain Bike Shift Cable Kit  (Read 1640 times)

Wingnut

SRAM 4mm Slickwire Road and Mountain Bike Shift Cable Kit
« on: July 16, 2017, 06:19:11 pm »
Just ordered some Sram Shifter Housing and Slick Wire cable for My Road Bike.   Shifts have been getting harder even after using copious amounts cable magic lube.  The old Jagwire Cable must be 4 years old now.  I'm sure they are worn at the bends.  Time for an upgrade.  Reviews are good for the Sram set up. I have used their Slick wire before and liked the shifts it provided.  Not sure if the teflon coating lasts though.   I'll report back after the install!

Offline anubias

Re: SRAM 4mm Slickwire Road and Mountain Bike Shift Cable Kit
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 06:48:27 pm »
Get eTap.  :P  Catch it on sale at Ribble.  British site.  Not the American one.  They jack up the prices on the .com site.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 06:49:48 pm by anubias »

Wingnut

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 07:01:47 pm »
Get eTap.  :P  Catch it on sale at Ribble.  British site.  Not the American one.  They jack up the prices on the .com site.

LOL...  Not until my arthritic hands can no longer throw the Sram Red Lever!  Plus I want to get 2 more years out of my 2012 model.

BTW  I saw C-dales new Synapse intro the other day.  Nice bike.  They are big into the E-shift and E-tap.  It's on my list.

Offline anubias

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 07:51:40 pm »
LOL...  Not until my arthritic hands can no longer throw the Sram Red Lever!  Plus I want to get 2 more years out of my 2012 model.

BTW  I saw C-dales new Synapse intro the other day.  Nice bike.  They are big into the E-shift and E-tap.  It's on my list.

I test drove it with full intentions of buying.  Unfortunately, the top tube is way too long for me (Long legs, but short-waisted and armed.)  Considering a Specialized Ruby, but will wait until the new eTap stuff comes out so that I can have hydraulic brakes.  Not too crazy about Specialized though.  Been too long since I experienced the thrill of flying over the handlebars at 30 mph.  Ha!

Know of any other short top-tubed comfort bikes that are also light in weight?  Still riding my unforgiving race bike that has a somewhat short top tube.

Offline anubias

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 07:53:41 pm »

Your arthritic hands will love etap blips.  Push a button and the gears shift.  It's sweet as sweet can be.

Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 08:00:43 pm »
I test drove it with full intentions of buying.  Unfortunately, the top tube is way too long for me (Long legs, but short-waisted and armed.)  Considering a Specialized Ruby, but will wait until the new eTap stuff comes out so that I can have hydraulic brakes.  Not too crazy about Specialized though.  Been too long since I experienced the thrill of flying over the handlebars at 30 mph.  Ha!

Know of any other short top-tubed comfort bikes that are also light in weight?  Still riding my unforgiving race bike that has a somewhat short top tube.

My wife rides a Women's specific Synapse.  Even then I had to put a shorter stem on it so she felt more stable.  I think a 50mm +30% rise stem  I think.      We sold a lot of Fuji "Finest" models to vertically challenged women. But they were entry level Alum frames.  Too heavy for my liking and your skill level.  The Women's Fuji SST might be an option if they still make it.  Short top tube but standover height was good for long legs
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:01:45 pm by Wingnut »

Offline anubias

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 06:52:02 am »
FUJI has a Brevet in women's geometry that felt right, but to get the lighter frame, it comes with hydraulic brakes and Shimano.  I can't put my eTap on it due to the hydraulic brakes.  I guess I'll keep riding the bike I have until the newer eTap comes out that does the hydraulic brakes, then sell the bike I have or use it for short rides as she is wicked fun to ride, but beats me to death at long distances if the road is the least bit rough.

Did the Whiterock Creek/Lake Santa Fe thing today in the heat.  Had to quit at 34 miles as it got dark on me.  It was actually nice as most everybody stayed home in the air conditioning.  It was the least crowded that I had ever seen it.  Only one kid to have to dodge on the whole ride.  Hated to come home, but figured it probably wasn't safe for an old lady out there after dark.

Finally took your advice btw and ordered a pair of Enduro Drop Seat Bibs.  Tired of stripping butt-naked for a bathroom break.  ;)

Wingnut

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 12:57:52 pm »
Just don't get any TP caught up there.  You'll look like a ribbon dancer!

Offline anubias

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 08:33:43 pm »
Just don't get any TP caught up there.  You'll look like a ribbon dancer!

Haven't YET.  I am in LOVE with the Enduras.  OMG.  I wish I had listened to you months ago.  ;)  Have already ordered two more pair!

Wingnut

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 08:39:24 pm »
Haven't YET.  I am in LOVE with the Enduras.  OMG.  I wish I had listened to you months ago.  ;)  Have already ordered two more pair!

LOL.  If Mrs Wing says they are okay...then they are okay.  I think she added a caveat... Watch out for plumbers crack for  riders transporting wider loads.  There might have coverage issues.  (my words..not hers)