Author Topic: Jodie Whittaker: Doctor Who's 13th Time Lord to be a woman  (Read 2305 times)

Offline Suppressed

Jodie Whittaker: Doctor Who's 13th Time Lord to be a woman
« on: July 16, 2017, 05:10:28 pm »
Jodie Whittaker: Doctor Who's 13th Time Lord to be a woman
16 July 2017
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/40624288

Whittaker was announced in a trailer after the Wimbledon men's final

Jodie Whittaker has been announced as Doctor Who's 13th Time Lord - the first woman to get the role.

She was revealed in a trailer that was broadcast on BBC One at the end of the Wimbledon men's singles final.

The Broadchurch star succeeds Peter Capaldi, who took the role in 2013 and leaves in this year's Christmas special.

Whittaker, 35, said it was "overwhelming, as a feminist" to become the next Doctor.

She will make her debut on the sci-fi show when the Doctor regenerates in the Christmas Day show.

See how Jodie Whittaker was revealed as the next Time Lord

Whittaker as she appeared on Broadchurch

She said it feels "incredible" to take on the role, saying: "It feels completely overwhelming, as a feminist, as a woman, as an actor, as a human, as someone who wants to continually push themselves and challenge themselves, and not be boxed in by what you're told you can and can't be."

And she told fans not to be "scared" by her gender.

"Because this is a really exciting time, and Doctor Who represents everything that's exciting about change," she said, adding: "The fans have lived through so many changes, and this is only a new, different one, not a fearful one."

Chibnall said the 13th Doctor was always going to be a woman.

He said: "I always knew I wanted the 13th Doctor to be a woman and we're thrilled to have secured our number one choice.

Chibnall is taking over from Steven Moffat, who leaves at the same time as Capaldi.

Capaldi had said that he wanted to see a woman replace him in the Tardis.

He said: "Anyone who has seen Jodie Whittaker's work will know that she is a wonderful actress of great individuality and charm.

"She has above all the huge heart to play this most special part. She's going to be a fantastic Doctor."

Former companions Billie Piper and Karen Gillan had called for a female Time Lord, with writer Mark Gatiss saying it was the perfect time for a woman to take the lead role.

Pearl Mackie, who plays current companion Bill Potts, posted a picture of herself with a pink Tardis at Lovebox festival on Sunday, with the message: "Wonder who is inside..?!". Some took it as a sign the next Doctor was to be a woman.

The trailer showed a hooded figure walking through woods, with birdsong and breath the only sounds heard. An empty palm was pictured, on which a key appeared - before Whittaker's face was glimpsed.

Viewers then saw her take off her hood, smile and walk towards the Tardis.

Each Doctor has their own distinctive look. Whittaker said the cloak is not part of her official Doctor Who outfit, however and that she does not yet know what she will wear.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Jodie Whittaker: Doctor Who's 13th Time Lord to be a woman
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 05:15:44 pm »
Yes, it was referred to in an earlier episode that the next regeneration could be a woman.

Capaldi will be hard to top.  He's very good.

And, if they leave the feminist crap out of it and just play it straight, it could be very good.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 06:20:56 pm »
What a bunch of bullshit.

Wingnut

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 06:23:10 pm »
What a bunch of bullshit.

Agreed.

There goes the franchise. 

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 06:26:51 pm »
Yeah, we all know this turned out....

Next thing you know you will be acting in shows as a Russian convict.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 06:32:12 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 06:30:24 pm »
"Whittaker, 35, said it was "overwhelming, as a feminist" to become the next Doctor."

Who the hell gives a rabid rats ass about her freaking politics? AFAIMC,she can take them and stuff them up her ass sideways.

She can't just take the freaking role and be happy about it,the stupid bitch has to make it political by making a statement.

As far as that goes,any of the women companions since Billie Piper would have made killer doctors,and it would have made a easy transition to have one of them come back as his replacement. Especially River Song/Alex Kingston. I can see why they couldn't get Jenna Coleman back. Her career has really taken off since her Doctor Who days,but I suspect any of the others would have welcomed the chance,and Dr Who fans would be excited about it.

This "feminist Doctor Who" crap has me so pissed I might not watch.  After all,it's not like the male Doctors have ever been very macho. A couple of them seemed to suffering from PMS at times.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 02:07:39 pm »
After 13 regenerations it was only a matter of time before the Doctor took a form other than that of a middle-aged white Englishman.

The only surprise here is that it didn't happen sooner. The only thing I dread about it is that there's a real chance they'll politicize it, which is totally unnecessary. Nothing in the mythology of Doctor Who says that every regeneration has to be a middle-aged white Englishman. In fact, the regeneration is purposely designed to let pretty much anyone play the Doctor.

Yes, even a woman.

This isn't groundbreaking at all. This is par for the course.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 02:11:13 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Wingnut

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 02:16:11 pm »
Might as well throw up a colonist for the next Doctor or for even better diversity a moslem.  Let the mongols loose and all.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 03:14:45 pm »
Kind of makes me glad that I stopped watching shortly into Capaldi's first season.
Let it burn.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 03:22:49 pm »
Yes, it was referred to in an earlier episode that the next regeneration could be a woman.

Capaldi will be hard to top.  He's very good.

And, if they leave the feminist crap out of it and just play it straight, it could be very good.

The female incarnation of the Master (The Mistress - Missy) actually turned out to be very good.

The doctor isn't human and has pointed out on multiple occasions that sexuality isn't really in a timelord's dna. Hell he turned down Amy Pond when she outright offered it up. That said he was gay or sexless.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 03:32:01 pm by Cripplecreek »

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 03:31:39 pm »
After 13 regenerations it was only a matter of time before the Doctor took a form other than that of a middle-aged white Englishman.

The only surprise here is that it didn't happen sooner. The only thing I dread about it is that there's a real chance they'll politicize it, which is totally unnecessary. Nothing in the mythology of Doctor Who says that every regeneration has to be a middle-aged white Englishman. In fact, the regeneration is purposely designed to let pretty much anyone play the Doctor.

Yes, even a woman.

This isn't groundbreaking at all. This is par for the course.

Christopher Eccleston the actor is middle aged but his role as The Doctor was at the young end of middle age. David Tennant and Matt Smith both played Doctors who were in their mid 20s to early 30s. Peter Capaldi is a middle aged Scot.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 05:17:37 pm »
Christopher Eccleston the actor is middle aged but his role as The Doctor was at the young end of middle age. David Tennant and Matt Smith both played Doctors who were in their mid 20s to early 30s. Peter Capaldi is a middle aged Scot.
Yeah, I know. That, and William Hartnell was much older, hence why they came up with the gambit for easier recasting. Still, my point stands. Noting requires the doctor be male, or white, or British. Heck, even humanoid, although I doubt they'd be able to train a chimp to do that kind of work.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 05:18:07 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 05:43:10 pm »
Yeah, I know. That, and William Hartnell was much older, hence why they came up with the gambit for easier recasting. Still, my point stands. Noting requires the doctor be male, or white, or British. Heck, even humanoid, although I doubt they'd be able to train a chimp to do that kind of work.

The Dr Who of William Hartnell started out with his granddaughter as his companion. Was that River Song's granddaughter  and Amy and Rory's great Granddaughter?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 02:20:16 am »

The doctor isn't human and has pointed out on multiple occasions that sexuality isn't really in a timelord's dna. Hell he turned down Amy Pond when she outright offered it up. That said he was gay or sexless.

@Cripplecreek

Can't argue with that.

Then there was the Jack Harkness introduction who was to have been a successful spin-off of "The Doctor",and the limey left HAD to make him light in the loafers because so many of the writers,production staff,and money people in show biz are homos. That guy had talent to burn,and the writing was pretty good,too. None of which mattered after he started having to make sexual suggestions to every male guest star and at least one  of the cast regulars.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 02:53:04 am »
There is a new app on Roku titled "BritBox",and it has all 21 seasons of Dr Who on it for immediate streaming,as well as pretty much every other show that has been on BBC.

@kevindavis

First week is free,after that the subscription rate is $6.99 per month. I have and use a Roku to access it,so the billing goes straight to my Roku account for me. Not sure how it's handled for people who don't stream using a Roku,but I am positive there are ways.

MODS! Please feel free to do a stand-alone thread about BritBox if you think there needs to be one in order to notify people about it.

Kevin,please feel free to do the  same if no mod picks up on it.

IMHO,BBC for 7 bucks a month is as good as entertainment deals get.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 03:18:20 am »

@Cripplecreek

Can't argue with that.

Then there was the Jack Harkness introduction who was to have been a successful spin-off of "The Doctor",and the limey left HAD to make him light in the loafers because so many of the writers,production staff,and money people in show biz are homos. That guy had talent to burn,and the writing was pretty good,too. None of which mattered after he started having to make sexual suggestions to every male guest star and at least one  of the cast regulars.

The new spin off "Class" is pretty good but again they just can't resist a gay main character. In fact they could remove all the sexuality from the show and lose nothing.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2017, 03:24:44 am »
@sneakypete

Given your avatar, I'll post to you directly on this matter.

The Doctor as a woman? Meh. OK. Don't blow it. Don't try to "out doctor" the previous doctors and make a spectacle of yourself. Or Janeway yourself, where we can't stand to watch you anymore after about 5 minutes. Just be cool and we fans will eat it right up.

BUUUUUUUUT...

Try to bring back River Song and get all lesbian-love story on us... try to ram the "sex doesn't matter, it's what's on the inside that counts" narrative down our throat... after we already put up with your gay lizard woman...

Well, do that and piss off. I'll be done with the Doctor.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2017, 03:32:54 am »
@sneakypete

Given your avatar, I'll post to you directly on this matter.

The Doctor as a woman? Meh. OK. Don't blow it. Don't try to "out doctor" the previous doctors and make a spectacle of yourself. Or Janeway yourself, where we can't stand to watch you anymore after about 5 minutes. Just be cool and we fans will eat it right up.

BUUUUUUUUT...

Try to bring back River Song and get all lesbian-love story on us... try to ram the "sex doesn't matter, it's what's on the inside that counts" narrative down our throat... after we already put up with your gay lizard woman...

Well, do that and piss off. I'll be done with the Doctor.

River is dead.

In fact last year's Christmas special was River's last show. She had written in her diary tat she spent her last night with the Doctor so he took her somewhere where the nights were 4 years long.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2017, 03:40:57 am »
River is dead.

In fact last year's Christmas special was River's last show. She had written in her diary tat she spent her last night with the Doctor so he took her somewhere where the nights were 4 years long.

I'd like to believe that, but I'm not convinced a writer that wants to go "female doctor" isn't ready to "Time Lord" River back into the story line from a prior time, just so they can validate lesbianism.

We'll see.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2017, 03:46:43 am »
I'd like to believe that, but I'm not convinced a writer that wants to go "female doctor" isn't ready to "Time Lord" River back into the story line from a prior time, just so they can validate lesbianism.

We'll see.

I sure hope you're wrong.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2017, 04:28:00 am »
Kind of makes me glad that I stopped watching shortly into Capaldi's first season.
Capaldi actually steered me away, with his "...and I save PEOPLE" bit. None of the calm assurance of the other Doctors, more of a raver, and that didn't cut it for me. If this gets politicized with feminist dreck, well, just, ick.

I would rather have had River Song in as a Doctor, and I think that could have been written in to tie in with other appearances of her in the series, really tightening the story line.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2017, 04:28:54 am »

We'll see.
That would be the end of the show for me.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2017, 11:53:06 am »
River is dead.

@Cripplecreek

Doesn't mean a thing. This is entertainment,not a documentary. This is especially true with Doctor Who,where I THINK River died before and then through the magic of time travel came back to set some things right.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2017, 04:39:22 pm »
The new spin off "Class" is pretty good but again they just can't resist a gay main character. In fact they could remove all the sexuality from the show and lose nothing.

Isn't the current companion a lesbian?

I don't watch anymore.
+++++++++