Author Topic: AMAZON ECHO CAN'T CALL THE POLICE—BUT MAYBE IT SHOULD  (Read 757 times)

Wingnut

AMAZON ECHO CAN'T CALL THE POLICE—BUT MAYBE IT SHOULD
« on: July 16, 2017, 02:11:35 pm »
This was interesting and good to know about these newfangled devices.

DESPITE WHAT YOU may have heard, an Amazon Echo did not call the police earlier this week, when it heard a husband threatening his wife with a gun in New Mexico. On Monday, news reports took Bernalillo County authorities' version of those events credulously, heralding the home assistant as a hero. The alleged act also raised an important question: Do you really want to live in a world where Alexa listens to your conversations, and calls the cops if she thinks things are getting out of hand?
The good news is that you don’t live in that world. Amazon’s Alexa can’t, and did not, call 911. Google Home can’t do it either. No voice-assistant device on the market can. That doesn't invalidate the core question though, especially as Amazon Echo, Google Home, and their offshoots increasingly gain abilities and become more integral to everyday life. How intrusive do you want to let these devices be? Should they be able to call the police? Maybe not even just when specifically prompted, but because they may have heard, for instance, a gun shot?
The Bernalillo County incident almost certainly had nothing to do with Alexa. But it presents an opportunity to think about issues and abilities that will become real sooner than you might think.
A Quick Debunk
The Bernalillo County Sheriff’s Department reported, specifically, that when a man drew a gun on his wife in a home where an Amazon Echo was placed, he said to her, “Did you call the sheriffs?” and the Echo misinterpreted that as a command to call the sheriffs, who then showed up at the front door. The authorities later clarified that someone in the house could be heard in the 911 recording yelling, “Alexa, call 911.”
This could not have happened as described. Amazon’s Echo requires a "wake word" to activate; the default is “Alexa,” but you can also customize it to “Echo,” “Amazon,” or “Computer.” And while they can make calls, an Alexa-powered device can only call another Alexa-powered device. Not only that, but it can only call other Alexa devices that have enabled calling, and have been added to your contact list. Most importantly, these exchanges don't take place over the public switched telephone network, the worldwide network that allows wireless or land phones to actually make calls.
In other words, the sheriffs would have needed an Alexa device of their own for that to ever work, one that the couple in the domestic dispute had in their contact list. Later, the police said that the Alexa was used in combination with some kind of home phone or cellular phone system. That at first sounds more plausible, but is actually also technologically impossible, as the Echo does not support calls over Bluetooth.
Someone called the police that day. It just wasn't Alexa.

More:

https://www.wired.com/story/alexa-call-police-privacy/
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 02:22:30 pm by Wingnut »

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: N AMAZON ECHO CAN'T CALL THE POLICE—BUT MAYBE IT SHOULD
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 02:17:57 pm »
This was interesting and good to know about these newfangled devices.

We are caretakers for my wife's elderly mother with dementia.  She often says randomly  "Someone Help Me."  I have heard the device say "If you need help call 911".

It's said other creepy things that makes you scratch your head.  I also sure don't like that when you ask for news it gives you NPR.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 01:39:57 am »
It's said other creepy things that makes you scratch your head.  I also sure don't like that when you ask for news it gives you NPR.
@catfish1957

On the Alexa app, go to Settings/Flash Briefing/On...and turn off NPR Hourly News Summary.

Then go to Settings/Flash Briefing/Get more Flash Briefing content.  You can put other news sources (e.g., Fox News) by clicking and then clicking "Enable".
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 02:43:55 am »
@catfish1957

On the Alexa app, go to Settings/Flash Briefing/On...and turn off NPR Hourly News Summary.

Then go to Settings/Flash Briefing/Get more Flash Briefing content.  You can put other news sources (e.g., Fox News) by clicking and then clicking "Enable".

Thanks.....

Mostly use this thing as an alarm, weather,  and a clock.  I'll check it out.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online roamer_1

Re: AMAZON ECHO CAN'T CALL THE POLICE—BUT MAYBE IT SHOULD
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 05:23:24 am »
The idea that people would allow an open mike in their house on purpose is completely beyond me.
Never ever going to happen here.