Author Topic: Rich bugs revealed: Homes in wealthier neighborhoods host a greater diversity of insects  (Read 709 times)

rangerrebew

Rich bugs revealed: Homes in wealthier neighborhoods host a greater diversity of insects
Published: Wednesday, August 3, 2016 - 11:10 in Paleontology & Archaeology

© Matt Bertone and North Carolina State University

The scientists researching indoor arthropods describe home environments as their own unique, thriving ecosystems. Roughly 100 different species of arthropods are found inside the average home. One common misconception: the mistaken belief that most of these species are pests. "Even though we spend billions of dollars each year to control for cockroaches, ticks, termites and other infestations, there are still a number of overlooked, benign species," says Leong. "Don't panic--most bugs aren't the problem roommates we make them out to be." The study's authors are traveling the globe to better understand our tiny, closest companions. Trautwein, Leong, and their colleagues are in the midst of a multi-year project sampling arthropods (and, as in the image above, collecting face mite samples) alongside citizen scientists in homes on all seven continents, exploring the overlooked life that shares our homes and bodies on a daily basis. Past expeditions include Sweden, the Peruvian Amazon, and houses in the Academy's own San Francisco backyard. The scientists will continue collecting house-dwelling arthropods in Australia, Madagascar, China, and Antarctica through 2017.

http://esciencenews.com/articles/2016/08/03/rich.bugs.revealed.homes.wealthier.neighborhoods.host.a.greater.diversity.insects
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 09:22:52 am by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

This is proof positive the wealthy in isolated communities such as Pebble Beach, are actually more diverse than Washinton, D.C. :silly:

Offline Joe Wooten

WHITE PRIVILEGE!!!!

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
I've got scarlet beetles eating my lilies and Japanese beetles eating everything else.

Offline Joe Wooten

I've got scarlet beetles eating my lilies and Japanese beetles eating everything else.

The Japanese beetles are bad this year. I've never seen them in these numbers since we moved here 20 years ago.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
The Japanese beetles are bad this year. I've never seen them in these numbers since we moved here 20 years ago.

I've never seen the scarlet beetles before. It appears that they're another invasive species.

Wingnut

Diversity bugs me.

Offline Joe Wooten