Author Topic: SPACE WARNING: Death star heading towards Earth will end life with hail of space rocks  (Read 5493 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
express.co.uk by Sean Martin 7/15/2017

A GIANT death star is heading Earth’s way which could wipe out life on the planet, scientists have warned.

The star known as HIP 85605 is one of 14 stars that are heading towards Earth, and experts have given it a 90 per cent chance of reaching the edge of our solar system.

Once it is there in what is known as the Oort cloud, which is full of of asteroids, it could fling all of the space rocks our way, wiping out life on Earth.

Swinburn University astrophysicist Alan Duffy told Australia's Herald Sun: "Objects hardly ever meet in space — the distances are so huge — but the gravitational influence of a star is enormous, even something a lightyear away can rattle the loosely held Oort Cloud objects.

“But there's no doubt that nearby stars in the past have nudged Oort objects into falling towards the inner solar system.”

More: http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/828753/SPACE-WARNING-Death-star-heading-towards-Earth

Oceander

How long til it gets here?

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
about 240,000 years, or more

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
about 240,000 years, or more
mmmmmkay. Gimme a wakeup call when it's about a month out, 'kay?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
SMOD's brother?
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline kevindavis007

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline goodwithagun

Like we should be surprised by this.

[attachment deleted by admin]
I stand with Roosgirl.

Online Smokin Joe

Problem. With a mass that great, the oceans and atmospherre would suck over to the side of the planet the star would be approaching from. Because the mass of the star is so much greater than that of the moon, those tides would be a matter of all the oceans on one side (whatever left on the 'dry side' boiling away from the lack of atmospheric pressure), with the Earth rotating the surface through that.
Of course you'd want an Ark....
Noah...Noah... :nometalk:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline kevindavis007

Problem. With a mass that great, the oceans and atmospherre would suck over to the side of the planet the star would be approaching from. Because the mass of the star is so much greater than that of the moon, those tides would be a matter of all the oceans on one side (whatever left on the 'dry side' boiling away from the lack of atmospheric pressure), with the Earth rotating the surface through that.
Of course you'd want an Ark....
Noah...Noah... :nometalk:

I have always said there is something in space just waiting to hit this planet..

It could be a
Black Hole
Killer Asteroid
Neutron Star

or god knows what else.

Hence the need to leave this hell hole..

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

I have always said there is something in space just waiting to hit this planet..

It could be a
Black Hole
Killer Asteroid
Neutron Star

or god knows what else.

There are believed to be something like 100 billion brown dwarfs out there in the galaxy.

As you know, they don't have to hit us. They just need to stir things up.

Online Smokin Joe

It could be a
Black Hole
Killer Asteroid
Neutron Star

or god knows what else.

Hell Hole? You gonna miss it when it's gone...

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

There are believed to be something like 100 billion brown dwarfs out there in the galaxy.

Leave it to the Dwarves... At least the Gnomes just like to travel.

C S Lewis

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

It could be a
Black Hole
Killer Asteroid
Neutron Star

or god knows what else.

Gamma burst. They happen all the time. We'd never even know it was coming or it hit - it'd be like all life was erased with the flick of a switch.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Smokin Joe

Gamma burst. They happen all the time. We'd never even know it was coming or it hit - it'd be like all life was erased with the flick of a switch.
I wonder if that had a hand in the Permian extinction? Or if it was an impact?

C S Lewis

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I wonder if that had a hand in the Permian extinction? Or if it was an impact?

Permian must have been an impact.

I wasn't joking about all life being extinguished in a gamma burst - the bodies left wouldn't even rot, there'd be nothing alive to rot them. The energy output of one of these bursts is horrendous.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Everything was created from dust and returns to dust, according to the Bible.

One day our sun will no longer shine after it either burns up our planet or leaves it like Venus.

The whole idea of life is to live each day like it may be our last, love hard and long, enjoy your friends and families, do things that give you happiness like hobbies, your critters, charities, education
You get the idea.

We only get an average of 80 some years on this big blue marble. You have to try to make them good, happy ones.  🌏
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline kevindavis007

I agree.. Space is a b****h. There is something that is dangerous that can either destroy this planet or stir things up. That is why I support Interstellar Space Travel. Even if we have settlements on Mars, it is not enough.  A black hole could frack up this solar system. Big time.

Offline mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline kevindavis007

Hell Hole? You gonna miss it when it's gone...

Tell me what would I miss about this planet?? 

Wingnut

The only problem with earth is it is full of Earthlings.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
The only problem with earth is it is full of Earthlings.

Time to whip out those skylab target hats again?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Wingnut

Time to whip out those skylab target hats again?

I like the way you think! :beer:

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

It could be a
Black Hole
Killer Asteroid
Neutron Star

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJzV0_SaV-k
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.