Author Topic: Everyday Snowflakes (see me as different, treat me as same)  (Read 1297 times)

Offline endicom

Taki's Magazine
Theodore Dalrymple
July 15, 2017

A young man of my acquaintance recently ended his intimate relationship with a girl that had lasted some years, and announced the fact to the world on Facebook, together with some rather disobliging commentary on his former lover’s character. This mania for making public what ought to remain private is, if not entirely new (for, as the Bible tells us, there is no new thing under the sun), at least of such greatly increased intensity that it might as well be regarded as new. The possibility of publicity brings forth the desire for publicity.

More... http://takimag.com/article/everyday_snowflakes_theodore_dalrymple/print#axzz4mqDkvQeS

Offline endicom

Re: Everyday Snowflakes (see me as different, treat me as same)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 12:09:21 am »
It's nothing new for people to advertise themselves as being different by ethnicity, religion, race or any other way. It's nothing new for those same people to demand that you simultaneously notice and not notice the advertised difference. What's new is the extreme of the thing.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 03:22:28 am »
It's not that complicated.

Everyone wants to matter. Be someone or something. This online oversharing gives them the illusion of that - that what they are doing or thinking is of intense interest to their "friends" without, you know, actually having to do something interesting or be good at something.

Strange times.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline endicom

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 12:50:35 pm »
It's not that complicated.

Everyone wants to matter. Be someone or something. This online oversharing gives them the illusion of that - that what they are doing or thinking is of intense interest to their "friends" without, you know, actually having to do something interesting or be good at something.

Strange times.

And it is illusion. Few people are truly interesting and I'm not among the few.

Wingnut

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 01:15:56 pm »

And it is illusion. Few people are truly interesting and I'm not among the few.

It's not a bad club to be in.  The truly uninteresting one that is.  It is like having a superpower.... of invisibility.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 01:33:33 pm »
It's not a bad club to be in.  The truly uninteresting one that is.  It is like having a superpower.... of invisibility.

Best post of the day so far as I am concerned.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 02:22:34 pm »

Yes, but to claim that @Wingnut could fit into the club of uninteresting defies belief.

Wingnut

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 02:32:56 pm »
Yes, but to claim that @Wingnut could fit into the club of uninteresting defies belief.

Oh you would be surprised.  In fact I had to test my theory the other day.

So I sauntered into a watering hole in a town full of beautiful people.  The place was quiet and not busy so I took an empty spot at the bar and waited for the bartender to ask for my drink order....A glass of cold milk.   After what seemed like 5 minutes and the bartender still hadn't acknowledged my presence I leaned over and asked a guy two stools over; "Hey Buddy Am I invisible?"  He threw a $5 spot on the bar for a tip and walked out without saying a word to me.  I got up, grabbed the $5 he left and walked out a few minutes later. 

I decided to further test my new invisibility cloak at a local Bank 2 doors down from the bar.   My court appearance is in two weeks.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 02:37:15 pm »

No disrespect to @Wingnut , but

Geez....it's still morning, @ConstitutionRose !! ^-^
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline endicom

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 02:43:36 pm »

It's nice to not be bothered by other people.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 06:23:51 pm »
No disrespect to @Wingnut , but

Geez....it's still morning, @ConstitutionRose !! ^-^

That just reflected my intense desire to BE invisible that morning.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 01:38:50 am »

As one gets older, one becomes invisible to the younger crowd. A few weeks ago, a young lady at the office made a major readjustment of her ample assets right in front of me, not even noting my presence.

Or she knew I am a gentleman who would avert his eyes.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn