Author Topic: RIP Retail: These 19 retailers are closing hundreds of stores in 2017  (Read 1255 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
RIP Retail: These 19 retailers are closing hundreds of stores in 2017

Published July 14, 2017 Retail Bankrate.com Opens a New Window.

An empty shopping cart is seen outside a closed store, March, 2012. (REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton )

As Americans do more and more of their shopping on their devices instead of at the store, traditional retailers are reeling. Some are being forced to shrink — or go out of business altogether.

Already 2017 has been a year of massive store closings, led by these chains.

Gymboree

Gymboree is scaling back its playground. It’s closing more than a quarter of its kids’ clothing stores as it tries to adapt to an “evolving retail landscape.”

The company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on June 11; exactly one month later, it announced it was shutting down 350 of its Gymboree and Crazy 8 locations, out of a total of nearly 1,300.

Payless

Payless ShoeSource filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in April and said it would shut down around 400 of its weaker stores. In May, the company indicated it could close 408 additional locations.

The discount footwear chain — founded more than 60 years ago in Topeka, Kansas — has found itself running behind online competitors.

RadioShack

RadioShack used to be everywhere, but now the electronics chain has largely vanished from the retail map. The company that once operated 7,300 stores says it closed more than 1,000 of its remaining locations over Memorial Day weekend — leaving just 70 stores still operating.

The retailer that began in Boston in 1921 says the closings continue a move from brick-and-mortar stores to RadioShack.com.

Continued: http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2017/07/14/rip-retail-these-19-retailers-are-closing-hundreds-stores-in-2017.html

CVS is on the list, interestingly, Walgreen's is not.

Offline endicom

Walgreens recently dropped a bid for Rite-Aid and is instead buying some 2,000 Rite-Aid stores.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Pet Supplies Plus looking at shuttering retail locations and offering direct delivery and other options.

Offline RoosGirl

Mostly clothing retailers.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Mostly clothing retailers.

I can't speak for everyone, but the women I know in real life have cut back on their clothes shopping. Or are going to stores like TJ Maxx, Marshalls, discount stores and outlets.

They are also cutting back on makeup. Going from high end brands like Clinique and Lancôme to Revlon and Cover Girl.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline ConstitutionRose

I can't speak for everyone, but the women I know in real life have cut back on their clothes shopping. Or are going to stores like TJ Maxx, Marshalls, discount stores and outlets.

They are also cutting back on makeup. Going from high end brands like Clinique and Lancôme to Revlon and Cover Girl.

My experience also.  When my granddaughter was here this summer and I offered to buy her make up she chose Target and the lower tier brands.

I have purchased my clothing online almost exclusively for more than a decade.  Much of my casual clothing, particularly jeans comes from Costco, otherwise I buy my clothing entirely online.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
My experience also.  When my granddaughter was here this summer and I offered to buy her make up she chose Target and the lower tier brands.

I have purchased my clothing online almost exclusively for more than a decade.  Much of my casual clothing, particularly jeans comes from Costco, otherwise I buy my clothing entirely online.

Yes, I buy almost exclusively online now.  I can find the size, color and style I want at a price I'm willing to pay.

Offline Suppressed

That's excellent news!

CVS still hasn't learned from their earlier activism...they've recently doubled-down.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn