Author Topic: Only government could mess up the gas tank  (Read 1682 times)

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Only government could mess up the gas tank
« on: July 14, 2017, 03:00:32 pm »
http://bobconfer.blogspot.com/2017/07/only-government-could-mess-up-gas-tank.html

by Bob Confer
July 14, 2017

Have you purchased a portable fuel tank for your garage or boat in recent years and wondered why they are, respectively, such pieces of garbage or so expensive?

You can’t help but be frustrated with what has happened to the once-simple gas can.

The modern no-spill units you use to fuel up your mower, chainsaw or ATV are anything but no-spill, as the clumsy spouts and necks lead to immeasurable amounts of wasted gas ending up on your power equipment and garage floor. You likely approach the same gas cans with trepidation because they look like bloated little powder kegs ready to explode on hot summer days because they are no longer manufactured with vents.   

(snip)

At my factory, we’ve lost business in a few waves because we didn’t have the technology necessary to meet these crazy regulations.

In 2010, we made the last of our portable fuel tanks for marine use. The production of those tanks kept 8 people busy for three-quarters of the year. 

That same year, fuel tank business for lawn mower manufacturers also tanked for us. We were making more than 60,000 mower tanks a year. Once the law went into effect, our customers’ tanks could be used only for aftermarket repairs of old mowers and production dropped to only 2% of what it was.

This week officially marks the end of an era for us at Confer Plastics as we will be making the very last of those aftermarket items. We had been making gas tanks since the early-1970s. Going forward, we’ll never make one again. 

We could have stayed in the gas can business, but it would have required a $4 million investment in a high-tech multi-layered machine necessary to make them.

More at the link
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Only government could mess up the gas tank
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 03:14:57 pm »
Thanks for posting this Myrle. I have been losing my mind with the total bullshit that I am forced to buy for gas cans. They are garbage that you can't keep open to get fuel out to the point I end up breaking the stupid things up just to get gas in my mowers.

Govt' is out of control.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 03:20:20 pm »
Whatever happened to "If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 03:22:51 pm »
And this is the same entity everyone wants to entrust with healthcare and health insurance.

Buncha morons.

I want government GONE and OUT of our lives, but too many self-identifying Conservatives think that if they just vote in the right people, they can better manage Statism than the bad, mean Democrats can.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline rodamala

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 07:47:16 pm »
This is why we can't have nice useful things:

Wingnut

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 08:14:32 pm »
This is why we can't have nice useful things:

No amount of government will ever stop idiots from doing idiotic things!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 08:25:12 pm »
I looked all over for replacements for my old gas cans. I settled for the No-Spill brand from Ace Hardware. I picked up 2. I haven't had them long enough to say how they hold up.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 08:29:10 pm »
I looked all over for replacements for my old gas cans. I settled for the No-Spill brand from Ace Hardware. I picked up 2. I haven't had them long enough to say how they hold up.

My experience with similar government mandated designs shows me that "no spill" also means "no pour".

Much like government mandated 3.5 gallon per flush toilets means two are there flushes for use! In order to conserve water you know!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 08:57:41 pm »
My experience with similar government mandated designs shows me that "no spill" also means "no pour".

That was my complaint with the other type I had. I broke a couple of them trying to get fuel out of them.  This one has a push button valve. Works good, so far.

Offline rodamala

« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 10:03:31 pm by rodamala »

Offline rodamala

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 10:11:40 pm »

No spill.  I find all these wacky nozzles now-a-day make for an even playing field between safe users and those that pour gasoline on bonfires.  Burn em ALL!

Wingnut

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 10:18:14 pm »
@Wingnut

FYI, Blitz had enough of being sued by Darwin Award losers' lawyers and simply packed it in.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/other/wal-mart-agrees-contribute-25-million-settle-gas-can-explosion-f2D11714192

Oh Geez.   Stupid people should die not be able to sue.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 10:26:10 pm »
@Wingnut

FYI, Blitz had enough of being sued by Darwin Award losers' lawyers and simply packed it in.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/other/wal-mart-agrees-contribute-25-million-settle-gas-can-explosion-f2D11714192

Greeeat. Flame arrestor. Betcha that makes em pour even better...

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2017, 12:08:00 am »
It went the way of . . .

. . . and . . .

. . . and . . .

. . . and now, if it isn't broken, we call the repairman . . . ;)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2017, 12:23:10 am »
Thanks for posting this Myrle. I have been losing my mind with the total bullshit that I am forced to buy for gas cans. They are garbage that you can't keep open to get fuel out to the point I end up breaking the stupid things up just to get gas in my mowers.

Govt' is out of control.
Garage sales, equipment auctions, estate sales, look 'em over real good.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2017, 12:28:48 am »
No amount of government will ever stop idiots from doing idiotic things!

My husband says if you make something idiot proof they'll just build a better idiot.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2017, 12:32:07 am »
My husband says if you make something idiot proof they'll just build a better idiot.
And if anyone can build a better idiot, it's today's political (lack of) class!

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2017, 12:34:48 am »
Garage sales, equipment auctions, estate sales, look 'em over real good.
Don't forget the flea markets.

(Though if you're thinking of going there to buy fleas, you're going to be badly disappointed . . . )

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2017, 12:46:26 am »
Leave it to government to propose a solution that doesn't work fro a problem that doesn't exist, that required serious modification to even make the device usable.

Just imagine what they would do to something like going to the doctor... :nometalk:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2017, 12:48:30 am »
Don't forget the flea markets.

(Though if you're thinking of going there to buy fleas, you're going to be badly disappointed . . . )
Nothing like a good flea market or swap meet!

I'd rather deal with fleas than FLEAs*.  :shrug: They make a cure for the former. The stuff to control the latter isn't working.

*Federal Law Enforcement Agencies
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 12:49:14 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2017, 12:53:37 am »
Leave it to government to propose a solution that doesn't work fro a problem that doesn't exist, that required serious modification to even make the device usable.

Just imagine what they would do to something like going to the doctor... :nometalk:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2017, 12:54:32 am »
Nothing like a good flea market or swap meet!

I'd rather deal with fleas than FLEAs*.  :shrug: They make a cure for the former. The stuff to control the latter isn't working.

*Federal Law Enforcement Agencies
There was stuff to control them---why do you really think government banned DDT?  :tongue2:

Wingnut

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2017, 01:51:10 am »
There was stuff to control them---why do you really think government banned DDT?  :tongue2:

The ACLU  filed suit for the mosquitoes?