Author Topic: Carry A Back-Up-Gun, Spare Ammo Or Both?  (Read 1828 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Carry A Back-Up-Gun, Spare Ammo Or Both?
« on: July 13, 2017, 01:26:06 pm »
There’s a good reason to carry spare ammunition – magazines fail, you might need more than X number of shots – or possibly a backup gun. A great of police officers carry one, as do a great number of concealed carriers whether it’s a snubby or micro .380 in a pocket or an ancillary pistol in a concealed carry holster away from the dominant carry position.

After all, many a peace officer in the days when revolvers were the issue gun of the day carried their 4-inch Model 10, Colt New Service or Police Positive, Ruger Security Six and so on with a 2-inch snub in the pocket as a backup gun. While many officers would carry speedloaders as a matter of course, resorting to the BUG – as it’s often called – was said to be more common than reloading for many.

In fact, multiple wheelguns was a practice for almost as long as revolvers have been around. Carrying multiple pistols was a standard practice in many cavalry units. Members of Mosby’s Rangers, a Confederate cavalry unit, were known to carry four: two in belt holsters and two more on the saddle or in their riding boots.

Some have taken to calling it carrying spare ammunition with another pistol wrapped around it, which in this era of autoloaders is especially handy when carrying pistols that accept the same magazines such as Glocks, Smith and Wesson M&P double-stack models, etc.

However, packing not only spare ammunition but a spare gun to go with it is cumbersome. That’s a lot of hardware to carry on a regular basis. A magazine or two is a lot more manageable.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/07/08/ccw-weekend-carry-a-back-up-gun-spare-ammo-or-both/
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: Carry A Back-Up-Gun, Spare Ammo Or Both?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 01:29:51 pm »
I carry a spare magazine.  If I feel the need to carry more than one firearm then I question whether I should be going there in the first place.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 02:48:31 pm »
I carry a spare magazine.  If I feel the need to carry more than one firearm then I question whether I should be going there in the first place.

I haven't decided what I'll do yet or which of my three pistols I'll carry.  With the 1911 I'll definitely carry a spare magazine if that's the one I strap on that day...the Sig...maybe not.

It's definitely going to be a learning process for me to see what I'm comfortable with.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 03:03:18 pm »
I haven't decided what I'll do yet or which of my three pistols I'll carry.  With the 1911 I'll definitely carry a spare magazine if that's the one I strap on that day...the Sig...maybe not.

It's definitely going to be a learning process for me to see what I'm comfortable with.

@txradioguy
One of the things I read when I started carrying is that if you're comfortable you'll carry every day.   If its uncomfortable then you'll tire of it and start skipping.    So the thought was that anything that went bang was better then the perfect setup left at home.

Each to their own but for me personally I am not too worried about reloading.   If I can't handle the threat in 7 shots of .45 acp enough to stop the target or disengage then I'm probably dead anyway.

I've only come close to using it in public once, when some teens tried to carjack me and my family.   I was able to speed away and disengage rather then start shooting.  Their gun jammed or it might have been different.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 03:14:47 pm »

I carry the gun with 8 in the mag and one up the spout. Two spare 7 round mags because together they only add up to less than the capacity of one double stacker.  That gives me 23 shots total.  If the job isn't done by then it never will be.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 03:17:44 pm »

Exactly. What the hell type of situation are people getting into that requires more than a handgun with a full clip?

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 02:03:48 am »
I carry a spare magazine and a tactical knife.