Author Topic: PC shipments haven't been this bad since 2007, and Apple is seeing a big Mac slump  (Read 2446 times)

rangerrebew

PC shipments haven't been this bad since 2007, and Apple is seeing a big Mac slump

Matt Weinberger

The PC industry just had its lowest single quarter of shipments since 2007, according to a new report from analyst firm Gartner.

Worldwide shipments of PCs fell 4.3% in the second quarter compared with the same period in 2016. That marked the 11th straight quarter that shipments have declined in the industry.

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-mac-pc-market-share-slump-2017-7
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 09:34:16 am by rangerrebew »

Wingnut

The end is near....

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
The end is near....
Not really.

If you read the article, they specifically excluded the fastest growing type of PC, the Chromebook. All the Chromebook is is a PC with an extremely constrained operating system that doesn't let you put actual programs on it (hence why I never liked mine, although I read that may have changed since I switched back to a Windows laptop).
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
I've been an Apple fanboy (fan girl) since I got my first Mac in 94.

Personally, I think the company lost its magic with the death of Steve Jobs, but I'll never go back to windows platform.

I love my MacBook and my iPad and my iPhone.  I'm hoping to get an watch from santa this year.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Oceander

Do the numbers differentiate between laptops and desktops?

Offline goodwithagun

Not surprised. So many people have a portable computer with a phone app. My father-in-law only used his desktop for games and searching deals on Vegas trips. He can do all of that on his iPhone without having to walk up the stairs to the home office.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Wingnut

Not really.

That is what Kodak said when they thought film would last forever and they stuck with thoses sheets of transparent plastic film base coated on one side with a gelatin emulsion containing microscopically small light-sensitive silver halide crystals and placed a funny pixilated photography toy from the front burner.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

Personally, I think the company lost its magic with the death of Steve Jobs, but I'll never go back to windows platform.

I love my MacBook and my iPad and my iPhone.  I'm hoping to get an watch from santa this year.

The pre-Steve Jobs pre-Imac Apple 90's era, Apple was known as "Crapple" back then. I remember my roommate had a 90's mac.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
I got an email from Apple yesterday

They are having their annual summer sale, and even with a turn in of your old computer,their new computers are getting too pricey for the average person to afford. They are going to go with other platforms to save some money.

How many people can afford a computer for  1500 and up?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 02:20:03 pm by Freya »

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

They are having their annual summer sale, and even with a turn in of your old computer,their new computers are getting too pricey for the average person to afford. They are going to go with other platforms to save some money.

30 years ago you couldn't find a decent computer (for the era) for under $2000.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
PC shipments haven't been this bad since 2007, and Apple is seeing a big Mac slump

Still think within the next few years they will become the first trillion dollar company.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
That is what Kodak said when they thought film would last forever and they stuck with thoses sheets of transparent plastic film base coated on one side with a gelatin emulsion containing microscopically small light-sensitive silver halide crystals and placed a funny pixilated photography toy from the front burner.
That is what many in Silicon Valley said when they thought people would never put their real identity on a Web site for everyone to search, connect and share. It was a fad, they said. The end will surely be near. Yet Facebook hit critical mass and is still as popular as ever.

Counting ALL PCs, both desktop and laptop, sales are still rising. There is still a need for products with real keyboards and somewhat heavier-duty hardware than what a smartphone can do in such a small space. The end may come eventually, but it is by no means "near."
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Wingnut

The end is nigh then?

Silver Pines

@Freya

We got our first iPhones last fall.  We didn't know it at the time, but the 6s we have are the bottom of the barrel for memory.  We'll upgrade at some point...husband said he'd like to wait for the 8, but rumor is they're going for $1200!

Anyway, next laptop we're done with Windows and will go Mac.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
@Freya

We got our first iPhones last fall.  We didn't know it at the time, but the 6s we have are the bottom of the barrel for memory.  We'll upgrade at some point...husband said he'd like to wait for the 8, but rumor is they're going for $1200!

Anyway, next laptop we're done with Windows and will go Mac.

If you have a college ID you get a lovely discount now. It doesn't matter how old the ID is. I mailed the letter to your email,account.

And you can lease an iPhone monthly. I bought mine outright but you can lease it from AT&T

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

IMHO part of the reason there has been a sales downturn with the MBP is two fold.

1) They've jacked the prices back up and that whole image of Apple being only affordable to the "rich" is once again in play.

2) Where at one point the MBP was upgradeable, Apple has channeled the 80's making their current crop of laptops not upgradeable in any way...to the point they are soldiering the ram to the motherboard.  But a laptop with 8gig of ram and decide you need 16 gig?  You're SOL on just dropping a couple of new memory sticks into your current system...you'll have to buy a whole new Mac.

My 15" MBP is a mid 2009 Model that I picked up in early 2010.  It finally stopped getting the current OS upgrades...Mavericks was my last one.  But I'm simple gonna replace the dying battery...and get some more RAM and keep chugging along with my current laptop.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Silver Pines

If you have a college ID you get a lovely discount now. It doesn't matter how old the ID is. I mailed the letter to your email,account.

And you can lease an iPhone monthly. I bought mine outright but you can lease it from AT&T

@Freya, thank you. 

For that price, I wonder what the 8 will have...

Offline Joe Wooten

30 years ago you couldn't find a decent computer (for the era) for under $2000.

Hell, until the late 1990's, buying any latest computer was going to set you back ~$2K. Then we started getting the ones made in China.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
TXradio wrote:
"My 15" MBP is a mid 2009 Model that I picked up in early 2010.  It finally stopped getting the current OS upgrades...Mavericks was my last one.  But I'm simple gonna replace the dying battery...and get some more RAM and keep chugging along with my current laptop."

As a Mac user for 30 years (I don't do Windowz), one thing I often see users fretting over is "my computer has stopped getting updates !!!"

In my experience, "updates" on the Mac are nowhere near as critical as they are on a PC. You can run old software for YEARS and not worry about it.

My 2010 MacBook Pro still has 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) on it. That's now seven iterations (count 'em, 7!) out-of-date. Yet it still boots and runs fine (thanks to an SSD I put in it), and has NEVER had any malware of ANY kind on it. I never even used "virus protection" or any of that junk.

That doesn't mean I'm out-of-the-loop. In fact, I just installed beta 2 of the yet-unreleased "High Sierra" a couple of days' back on a spare hard drive I have. Seems to run ok, but I see no need to upgrade in a hurry. In fact this Mac Mini (2012) is still running the OS it came with (10.8.5). I have other drives I "switch boot" to during the day, just for a change now and then.

If you haven't yet done it, the BEST way to "get more" out of an old MacBook Pro is to put an SSD into it.
Cheap, easy, fast (use the RIGHT TOOLS). ifixit.com is the best place to see a guide on how to do it.
Just use CarbonCopyCloner to clone the contents of the old drive to the new one.
Then get a USB3 enclosure and keep the old drive as a spare.

BTW, the source article above is misleading.
Just about ALL the computer manufacturers are experiencing a slump, and Apple is actually doing BETTER THAN many of them.
For a better picture, I suggest you check this:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-mac-sales-stagnant-in-q2-2017.2056302/