Author Topic: Don Jr.'s Disgraceful Meeting  (Read 1465 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Don Jr.'s Disgraceful Meeting
« on: July 12, 2017, 03:35:41 pm »
Editorial
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/449384/donald-trump-jr-meeting-russian-lawyer-email-revelations

It’s been a journalistic season of hype, innuendo, and sometimes flat-out error on the Russia story, but the
New York Times finally hit paydirt in the last several days.

Over the weekend, the Times revealed that Donald Trump Jr., then–campaign manager Paul Manafort, and Jared
Kushner met with a Kremlin-connected lawyer at Trump Tower in Manhattan on June 9, 2016, two weeks after
Trump Sr. had effectively clinched the Republican nomination for president. Trump Jr. responded to say that the
meeting was to discuss adoption (the Kremlin, characteristically, prohibited Americans from adopting Russian
children in response to the Magnitsky Act, a 2012 sanctions law targeting Russian human-rights abusers). In
fact, as the Times reported on Monday, Trump Jr. took the meeting hoping to obtain compromising information
about the Clinton campaign, as promised by an intermediary in a lengthy e-mail exchange.

On Tuesday, to preempt another Times scoop, Trump Jr. released the correspondence himself. In an e-mail
dated June 3, 2016, Rob Goldstone, a former tabloid reporter and Trump-family friend, suggested that a high-
level Russian prosecutor and Russian real-estate magnate Aras Agalarov — with whom Donald Trump Sr.
became acquainted in 2013, when the pair collaborated on the Miss Universe pageant in Moscow — had
“offered to provide the Trump campaign with some official documents and information that would incriminate
Hillary and her dealings with Russia and would be very useful to your father.” According to Goldstone, the offer
was “part of Russia and its government’s support for Mr. Trump.” Donald Trump Jr. responded: “If it’s what you
say[,] I love it.” According to the e-mails, Trump Jr. perhaps spoke on the phone with Agalarov’s son, Emin
(a Russian pop star), and then the campaign higher-ups met at Trump Tower with Natalia Veselnitskaya,
identified by Goldstone in the exchange as “a Russian government attorney.” (Veselnitskaya, who is Kremlin-
connected, has campaigned in Europe and the United States against sanctions; she disputes the well-
documented account of whistleblower Sergei Magnitsky’s brutal death at the hands of Russian officials.)
The whole correspondence appears to have been forwarded to Manafort and Kushner prior to the meeting.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 06:29:50 pm by MOD3 »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Resp3

Re: Don Jr.'s Disgraceful Meeting
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 03:49:59 pm »
Leave it to the National Review to put the kneepads on to suck up to the New York Times.

Have these morons not read the emails from Jr. Talk about a nothing burger!

Sheesh.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 03:57:11 pm »
It's not a nothing burger.  It is illegal to solicit a campaign contribution from a foreign national, which can include valuable opposition research information.  That the information allegedly held by the foreign national was identified to Trump Jr., Manafort and Kushner as coming from the Russian government in recognition of its "support" for Trump's campaign makes the potential violation all that more egregious.

YES,  no such information was obtained, and the meeting can be seen, charitably, as mere vetting.  But solicitation is the potential crime, and Trump, Jr.'s response to the offer of a meeting was to express his eagerness to RECEIVE such information.  

How is that not solicitation?  How is that a "nothing burger"?   
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 03:57:34 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Resp3

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 04:04:22 pm »
There was no solicitation. More importantly there was no collusion. This is nothing more than low-life cheap tricks by the democrats to avert attention from their own crimes by falsely accusing Repubs of doing what they themselves did.

Case in point is Hillary colluding with Ukrainian officials.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 04:23:41 pm »
There was no solicitation. More importantly there was no collusion. This is nothing more than low-life cheap tricks by the democrats to avert attention from their own crimes by falsely accusing Repubs of doing what they themselves did.

Low-life cheap tricks by the Dems?  The text of the e-mails was released by Trump, Jr. himself.  He knows he stepped into it big time, and is hoping that transparency now will make up for the failure to get this out in the world months ago when the Administration was denying knowledge of such meetings. 

This may have been a Russian set up of the gullible President's son, but Trump Jr.'s reaction - his eagerness to RECEIVE the information) is dangerously close to solicitation.     
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 04:32:18 pm »
NR has no legitimate say in any issue revolving around Trump. They went whole hog on the French and then McMuffin bandwagon. Now they are grasping for relivancy by creating "Told ya' so" articles that are meaningless.

May as well post what The World Workers Party has to say on the topic while we're at it.

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 04:41:21 pm »
Trump Jr. got played like a two-bit whore. 

Offline skeeter

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 04:41:46 pm »
Low-life cheap tricks by the Dems?  The text of the e-mails was released by Trump, Jr. himself.  He knows he stepped into it big time, and is hoping that transparency now will make up for the failure to get this out in the world months ago when the Administration was denying knowledge of such meetings. 

This may have been a Russian set up of the gullible President's son, but Trump Jr.'s reaction - his eagerness to RECEIVE the information) is dangerously close to solicitation.     

Nah.

Hillary erased email under subpoena off of an illegal server and no one gave a crap. This is nothing by comparison.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 04:46:00 pm »
- his eagerness to RECEIVE the information) is dangerously close to solicitation.     

In what universe?
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 04:49:30 pm »
In what universe?

In the NR universe where they openly argued that Hitlary was the Conservative candidate in the '16 election.....

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/438465/temperamentally-clinton-may-be-conservative-race

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 04:55:28 pm »
In the NR universe where they openly argued that Hitlary was the Conservative candidate in the '16 election.....

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/438465/temperamentally-clinton-may-be-conservative-race

@Frank Cannon
Trumps history is anything but conservative but no sane person could equate HIllary with Conservative.    Most of the nominations he's made and bills he's pushed have been surprisingly conservative.   If you took twitter away from him things would be much smoother.  Although it is becoming fun to watch him manipulate the media.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Wingnut

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 04:55:44 pm »
Trump Jr. got played like a two-bit whore.

Now Now O CE, Lets not defame honest  working girls who were not born into a lifestyle of the rich and famously bad hair.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 04:58:43 pm »
In what universe?

I wonder how many of those clucking and shaking their heads about this gave a sh*t the 'Russian sources' that generated the "dossier".

As I recall most were excited about the info, not its source. I never heard a single word of concern about that.

Suddenly its the source that matters. Its nauseating.

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 05:18:42 pm »
So in other words, another nothing burger.

No laws were broken
No information exchanged
No compromising details revealed
... so nothing.

Wake me up when laws are broken like mishandling classified information, etc.

Silver Pines

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 10:07:32 pm »

@Resp3

There was certainly an attempt at collusion.   We have the emails to prove it and I don't know how on earth you can blame the Democrats or anyone else besides the idiot who tried to play with the KGB.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2017, 10:17:01 pm »
@Resp3

There was certainly an attempt at collusion.   We have the emails to prove it and I don't know how on earth you can blame the Democrats or anyone else besides the idiot who tried to play with the KGB.

Come again? I send you and email about discussing a big cocaine deal and that I have $50K in laundered money to give you as an enticement to the meeting. When we finally meet I spend a half hour telling you the good news in the Watchtower and how awesome it would be if you converted to a Jehovah's Witness.

No money or drug talk is exchanged.

Nothing happens.

No collusion.

Offline Resp3

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2017, 10:39:38 pm »
@Resp3

Wow. Bitter Never Trumpism is still alive and kicking here I see. *****rollingeyes*****

Offline skeeter

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2017, 10:42:20 pm »
@Resp3

What are you gonna do when it turns out democrats tried to effect the outcome of the election by actually PAYING for information provided by honest-to-gosh 'russian officials' through Fusion GPS which manifested itself as the "Trump Dossier"?

Offline Resp3

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 10:56:13 pm »
What are you gonna do when it turns out democrats tried to effect the outcome of the election by actually PAYING for information provided by honest-to-gosh 'russian officials' through Fusion GPS which manifested itself as the "Trump Dossier"?

Not to mention the Clinton/Ukrainian connection where there was no question about the outright collusion between Hillary and Ukrainian officials.

None of this matters to Never Trumpers though. As long as they can glom onto any Fake News narrative against Trump - they be happy.

Silver Pines

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2017, 10:59:57 pm »
Come again? I send you and email about discussing a big cocaine deal and that I have $50K in laundered money to give you as an enticement to the meeting. When we finally meet I spend a half hour telling you the good news in the Watchtower and how awesome it would be if you converted to a Jehovah's Witness.

No money or drug talk is exchanged.

Nothing happens.

No collusion.

@Frank Cannon

He told the Russians he "loved" what they supposedly had on Hillary---if he could have gotten it, he would have. 

Besides, that deal you're talking about?   It went south because Trump Jr. was involved.  He flushed the coke when he heard the NYT was onto him.

Silver Pines

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2017, 11:03:29 pm »
Wow. Bitter Never Trumpism is still alive and kicking here I see. *****rollingeyes*****

@Resp3

Let me get this straight, okay?

Trump Jr. tries to collude with the Russians, but gets played.
We have his emails which prove that.

But if you won't blame the Democrats, you're a bitter NT.

Do you understand how crazy that is, seriously?

Silver Pines

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2017, 11:10:15 pm »

@skeeter

What am I going to do?   If such a thing can be proven, I'll shake my head, because that's what Democrats have always done, and always will do.  We expect that, right?  Which is why some clueless fool who thinks he can insert himself into talks with the Russian government should be far away from the situation.  People like him are too easily played.

I'll tell you one thing I won't do, and that's absolve Trump Jr. of his own behavior.  Some of you are treating him like a five year old who spilled a glass of milk.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2017, 11:13:06 pm »
@skeeter

What am I going to do?   If such a thing can be proven, I'll shake my head, because that's what Democrats have always done, and always will do.  We expect that, right?  Which is why some clueless fool who thinks he can insert himself into talks with the Russian government should be far away from the situation.  People like him are too easily played.

I'll tell you one thing I won't do, and that's absolve Trump Jr. of his own behavior.  Some of you are treating him like a five year old who spilled a glass of milk.

So you'll turn the subject back to Trump's misdeeds.

I really don't know what to say.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 11:14:46 pm by skeeter »

Offline Resp3

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2017, 11:14:30 pm »
@Resp3

Let me get this straight, okay?

Trump Jr. tries to collude with the Russians, but gets played.
We have his emails which prove that.

But if you won't blame the Democrats, you're a bitter NT.

Do you understand how crazy that is, seriously?

@CatherineofAragon

No, I'm sorry. I don't understand your position. Not in the least.

While it looks like you are siding with The Slimes and dems who are using any fabricated Fake News they can desperately get their hands on, I hope you are a better person that that.

Rather than delete his emails he chose to come forward with them and show the world that they lead to nothing. Some may say these emails prove the Trump administration lied when they earlier said there was no conversations; but that is yet another weak and lame liberal talking point.

Even liberal experts like Alan Dershowitz have admitted there was no collusion. Like was mentioned upthread - this story has all the gravitas as the Russian Hookers story.

And it is embarrassing for you and others to swallow the BS that this Fake News really is.

Silver Pines

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2017, 11:22:43 pm »
@Resp3

No, I'm sorry. I don't understand your position. Not in the least.

While it looks like you are siding with The Slimes and dems who are using any fabricated Fake News they can desperately get their hands on, I hope you are a better person that that.

So I'm siding with the Dems because I put the blame for Jr.'s actions on him instead of yelling "fake news" when we have proof.  Again, this is absolutely crazy.   It makes no sense.

Rather than delete his emails he chose to come forward with them and show the world that they lead to nothing. Some may say these emails prove the Trump administration lied when they earlier said there was no conversations; but that is yet another weak and lame liberal talking point.

He changed his story several times---in other words, he lied---and only came forward with the emails when it became clear they were going to be published.  This is fact.  Why praise a liar for something he didn't do?

For months the Trump administration said there had been no contact with the Russians.  Now we know that was an untruth.  How is it a "weak, lame liberal talking point?"

Even liberal experts like Alan Dershowitz have admitted there was no collusion. Like was mentioned upthread - this story has all the gravitas as the Russian Hookers story.

But that's not what I said, is it?  I said there was an attempt at collusion.  What else would you call it?  Were they meeting to set up playdates for their kids?

And it is embarrassing for you and others to swallow the BS that this Fake News really is.

We're talking about proven facts here.  And it's more than disturbing that you absolutely refuse to face that.  Wow.