Author Topic: China to reduce army strength to less than 1 million, biggest cut down in history  (Read 757 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: ASIAN AGE

URL: http://www.asianage.com/world/south-asia/120717/china-to-reduce-army-strength-to-less-than-1-million-biggest-cut-down-in-history.html

Beijing: China will downsize its 2.3 million-strong army, the world's largest, to under one million in the biggest troop reduction in its history as part of a restructuring process, an official Chinese daily said.

The People's Liberation Army (PLA) will increase the numbers of other services, including navy and missile forces, the PLA Daily, the official newspaper of the Chinese military, reported.

Jun Zhengping Studio, a Chinese social WeChat account run by the newspaper published an article yesterday on structural reform in China's military, saying that "the old military structure, where the army accounts for the vast majority, will be replaced after the reform".

"The reform is based on China's strategic goals and security requirements. In the past, the People's Liberation Army focused on ground battle and homeland defence, which will undergo fundamental changes," the report said.

"This is the first time that active PLA army personnel would be reduced to below one million," it said.

It added that the number of troops in the PLA Navy, PLA Strategic Support Force and the PLA Rocket Force will be increased, while the PLA Air Force's active service personnel will remain the same.

According to the Ministry of Defence data, the People's Liberation Army had about 8.50 lakh combat troops in 2013. No official numbers of the total strength of PLA Army were released.

Earlier, Chinese President Xi Jinping had announced that the People's Liberation Army will be cut by three lakh troops. "The total PLA personnel was about 2.3 million before the country announced a cut of 300,000 troops in 2015," state-run Global Times reported.

"This reform will provide other services, including the PLA Rocket Force, Air Force, Navy and Strategic Support Force (mainly responsible for electronic warfare and communication), with more resources and inputs, and the PLA will strengthen its capability to conduct overseas missions," Xu Guangyu, a senior adviser to the China Arms Control and Disarmament Association, was quoted by the media report.

The People's Liberation Army Daily article said that China's overseas interests were spread around the world and needed to be protected.

"These are beyond the army's current capabilities," Mr Xu said. The People's Liberation Army structure should fit China's international status, Xu added.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
So they are reducing the army but building their other military forces.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline endicom

Probably a smart move. What was a place to put surplus labor should now be a few million malcontent soldiers.

Offline Victoria33

So they are reducing the army but building their other military forces.
@driftdiver

They are not concerned about the homeland - their potential enemies are over the water, and that includes us.  We were talking about this yesterday.  If they stopped trade with us, we would die.  They make almost everything we use, including our medicines.  Without our medicines they make, millions die.  Between China and India, they make almost all of our medicines.  No medicines are made here anymore.  In some cases, if China doesn't make the whole pill or capsule in its final form, they make the ingredients and they are put together here.

Yesterday, I wanted to check pressure cookers as those will be in my book.  Every single pressure cooker is made in China. Our clothes are made in China and India.

China can kill us anytime they want - just stop sending us what we need to live.  We don't make anything - what we have is money to give them in order for us to live.  We gave them our lives.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 03:03:47 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline Suppressed

China can kill us anytime they want - just stop sending us what we need to live.  We don't make anything - what we have is money to give them in order for us to live.  We gave them our lives.

And they have used that money we send to buy up the rights to resources in places like Africa.

But China imports food from the US, Brazil, Australia, etc.  And Chinese tastes in food have become more meat/poultry-based, so they would have to take a step back if trade were cut.

They know their future is in the expansion, looking outward.  No need for the huge land army. 
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

@driftdiver

They are not concerned about the homeland - their potential enemies are over the water, and that includes us.  We were talking about this yesterday.  If they stopped trade with us, we would die.  They make almost everything we use, including our medicines.  Without our medicines they make, millions die.  Between China and India, they make almost all of our medicines.  No medicines are made here anymore.  In some cases, if China doesn't make the whole pill or capsule in its final form, they make the ingredients and they are put together here.

Yesterday, I wanted to check pressure cookers as those will be in my book.  Every single pressure cooker is made in China. Our clothes are made in China and India.

We don't make anything?  We're (just barely) the number two manufacturer in the world.  And with about 1/4 the population of China, that's pretty darn impressive. 

Can't find a pressure cooker that is made in America?  Did you try searching for "pressure cooker made in america"?  I did, and I found plenty.  I also found one in my kitchen, made in Wisconsin with the not entirely subtle brand name "All American".

I wish people would stop posting unsubstantiated opinions as if they were facts.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
@driftdiver

@Victoria33
I agree way too much comes from China.  Its a very serious issue.  It would hurt us badly if they stopped shipping our stuff.     It would destroy them if we stopped spending money.   A bit like MAD without the radiation. 
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline thackney

They are not concerned about the homeland - their potential enemies are over the water, and that includes us.  We were talking about this yesterday.  If they stopped trade with us, we would die.  They make almost everything we use, including our medicines.  Without our medicines they make, millions die.  Between China and India, they make almost all of our medicines.  No medicines are made here anymore. In some cases, if China doesn't make the whole pill or capsule in its final form, they make the ingredients and they are put together here.

The US is the 5th largest drug/medicine exporter in the world.

India is the 10th.  China doesn't make the top 15.

http://www.worldstopexports.com/drugs-medicine-exports-country/

http://www.trademap.org/Country_SelProductCountry.aspx?nvpm=1|842||||30|||2|1|1|1|1|1|2|1|1
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 05:34:03 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Victoria33

The US is the 5th largest drug/medicine exporter in the world.
India is the 10th.  China doesn't make the top 15.
@thackney

But the American companies' plants under their names are making the drugs are in China, India, and Puerto Rico.  They aren't made here and that goes for over the counter medicines also - they aren't made here.

Offline thackney

@thackney

But the American companies' plants under their names are making the drugs are in China, India, and Puerto Rico.  They aren't made here and that goes for over the counter medicines also - they aren't made here.

That is not by company name, that is by country of export and import.

Imports:
http://www.trademap.org/Country_SelProductCountry.aspx?nvpm=1|842||||30|||2|1|1|1|1||2|1|1

Exports:
http://www.trademap.org/Country_SelProductCountry.aspx?nvpm=1|842||||30|||2|1|1|2|1||2|1|1
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Victoria wrote:
"China can kill us anytime they want - just stop sending us what we need to live.  We don't make anything - what we have is money to give them in order for us to live.  We gave them our lives."

And yet there are those here who will tell us that it doesn't matter that America's loss of manufacturing capacity in certain sectors is of no consequence, that we can continue forever as "a service-oriented" economy.

Rubbish.

Nations that no longer make everything they need (well, almost everything) decline.
Nations that are ascendant are those like China, where everything is produced.
Granted, there's more smoke and pollution there.
But that can be controlled.

Back in the 1940's when Altoona PA was a center of the Pennsylvania Railroad, folks had to wash the walls inside their homes once or twice a year to get the coal dust off. The whole town had a smoky aura about it, because back then it was coal and steam that powered the locomotives, the railroad, and the economy.

In time, the steam engines were gone, the railroad went into a long period of decline. It's come back somewhat since the 1980's (during the Conrail era and now Norfolk Southern), but it ain't what it used to be.

That missing smoke... was the smoke of prosperity. Behind it lay a good future.
Now the skies there are clear. And the country's future remains uncertain.

Offline Suppressed

That is not by company name, that is by country of export and import.

Imports:
http://www.trademap.org/Country_SelProductCountry.aspx?nvpm=1|842||||30|||2|1|1|1|1||2|1|1

Exports:
http://www.trademap.org/Country_SelProductCountry.aspx?nvpm=1|842||||30|||2|1|1|2|1||2|1|1

@thackney

Yes, import about $90 Billion and export about $45 Billion, but note also that this includes things like blood (animal and human), which represents nearly half of our "pharmaceutical exports".

But the pharma exports aren't insignificant.  For example, Delaware's number one export is pharmaceuticals to Belgium.  No joke.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline SunkenCiv

• This is SunkenCiv.
  • I'm Junger than that now.
    • Gods, Graves, Glyphs (we're new)
Chinese Warships Begin Live Fire Drills in Mediterranean Sea
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,271545.0.html

China sends forces to 1st military base abroad, in Djibouti
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,271438.0.html

China says 'China responsibility theory' on North Korea has to stop
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,271444.0.html
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Gods, Graves, Glyphs forum (we're new) Darwin Central (posting as Ned Ludlam) my FR posts, SunkenCiv?, FR topic by nuconvert