Author Topic: Today is Pruno day 1  (Read 293 times)

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
Today is Pruno day 1
« on: July 11, 2017, 06:27:20 PM »
bought a gallon of cran-grape !00% juice with no preservatives
poured about 25% of it into a pitcher for the fridge.
All comments or corrections to what I am doing are definitely appreciated.

poured the rest of it into a spaghetti pot with 2 cups of sugar
mixed it all up with a whisk
added a can of mandarin oranges in thick syrup
heated the pot to 125+ degrees, turned off the fire
added the yeast, two packets
waited until I saw the foam forming, I knew it was good to go
poured it all back in the bottle and closed it
wrapped it up in a black cloth, and set it on the sill in direct sunlight to keep it warm
After a day or so, I should see the bottle swelling
I'll burp it once, after that I'll put a needle hole in the top for the gas to escape
I'll have to see how far I can take it
I could let it ferment for five days, add more yeast and more sugar and double ferment it
I have to see what it wants to do
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 06:28:32 PM by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.

Offline Smokin Joe

• The light at the end of the tunnel.
Re: Today is Pruno day 1
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 01:51:24 AM »
Be careful it doesn't blow up. That could make one heck of a mess.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression
And I looked, and rose up, and said unto the nobles, and to the rulers, and to the rest of the people, Be not ye afraid of them: remember the Lord, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses. Nehemiah 4:14 (KJV)

About the only "Big" Liberals don't revile is "Big Government"

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
Re: Today is Pruno day 1/day 4
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 08:17:21 PM »
After four days of fermenting the yeast is starting to dull.
It tastes like a fruity cocktail that you would find in a tropical bar. It is very good, and has a subtle carbonated taste to it. I'm guessing it is somewhere close to 10%, based on the fact that unlike beer (~5%), for example, you can smell and taste the alcohol kick in it.

I put a pin hole in the top of the jug and that has worked great for a one way release valve. When I first started, every time I shook the jug, air would blow out of the pinhole like a hole in a car tire. Now, it just barely blows at all. And it hardly foams when I shake it.

So now, I plan to put in another cup of sugar, another can of mandarin oranges in heavy syrup and re-yeast it. I'll let it go again for three to five days or until it stops foaming when I shake it, and stops releasing CO2.

Overall, so far, so good. I'll post again in 3 to 5 days. It will be fun to drink this stuff on the rocks around the pool on a bright sunny day. Looking forward to it.

Offline anubias

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 03:06:12 PM »
Add a line out the top with the other end attached to a diffuser to put in a lighted fish tank.  Your plants in the tank will grow like crazy.  Your bottle won't explode.  Your anubias will thank you for it.  ;)

Waste not.  Want not.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 08:10:54 PM »
It turned out great. But then I screwed it up.

The first time I tested it, it was fantastic. Then I decided to 'double ferment' it. This did not work out well at all. After the second four days and more yeast, it went from clear and tasty to cloudy and it took on a heavy yeast flavor.

So, I had it right. I just should have stopped after the forth or fifth day. The double yeast did not work. It may have been stronger in terms of alcohol content, but that was offset by the decrease in flavor and clarity.

Next time I will keep the jug sealed (burping once a day) to promote carbonation, and not go longer than 5 days. Live and learn. It turns out that the alcohol percentage is limited anyway. At a certain level, depending on the type of yeast used, the alcohol itself will kill the yeast anyway and stop fermentation.

Without actual distillation, there is limit to how strong a brew can be made. I'm still screwing around with making wine and cider. We shall see what I come up with over time.

Next on my list is cider, and watermelon wine. I'll post if I come up with any breakthroughs or revelations about home made wine. LoL

It is a fun hobby, and I enjoy doing it.

Online Elderberry

• Golden Rule Ancap
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 08:34:55 PM »
Why don't you just seal it and wait on it for the yeast to starve and settle to the bottom. That'll clear it rite up. Well it works on home brew beer.

I've been hankerin' to make some citrus wine.

I've a good ole friend who was the Pruno brewmeister on a pipe laying barge out in the Gulf of Mexico.
Do not unto another that you would not have him do unto you. Thou needest this law alone. It is the foundation of all the rest.(Confucius)

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 08:44:16 PM »
Why don't you just seal it and wait on it for the yeast to starve and settle to the bottom. That'll clear it rite up. Well it works on home brew beer.

I've been hankerin' to make some citrus wine.

I've a good ole friend who was the Pruno brewmeister on a pipe laying barge out in the Gulf of Mexico.

That is a good point. And starving the yeast is actually what makes it produce the alcohol, so that is a double win. I don't know. I still have to experiment and work on it until I get it figured out. But that is a good suggestion.

Maybe it was cloudy not because I waited too long, but because I didn't wait long enough. The next time I do it will be better. I learn something new with every batch. I think I need a different yeast. I'm not sure that baking yeast is cut out for making wine. We shall see.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf