Author Topic: Amazon Prime is on pace to become more popular than cable TV  (Read 4110 times)

Offline kevindavis007

Someday soon, more U.S. households will be subscribers of Amazon Prime than cable or satellite TV, according to recent estimates of Amazon's popular shipping and entertainment service.

According to estimates from Morningstar, nearly 79 million U.S. households now have an Amazon Prime membership, up from around 66 million at the end of last year.

That compares to a projected 90 million U.S. households that will pay for cable or satellite TV this year, according to S&P Global.

According to these estimates, more U.S. households may have an Amazon Prime subscription than a pay TV subscription as soon as next year.

The implication here is not that Amazon's Prime Video service is more popular than TV; the main reason most people subscribe to Amazon Prime is still the fast delivery of products.

But it is an indication that Prime is moving toward becoming a "no-brainer" for more than just wealthy Americans. To that end, Amazon has been courting lower-income American households with discounts for those on government assistance, as well as a monthly payment option for those who don't want to cough up $99 for an annual subscription.

Read More: http://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/10/amazon-prime-may-become-more-popular-than-cable-tv.html
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Amazon Prime is on pace to become more popular than cable TV
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 06:11:09 pm »
With internet live services coming on fast, cable TV is going to go the way of the buggywhip industry.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 06:12:36 pm »
Looks like I can combine Amazon Prime, Sling TV and maybe Roku for a fraction of the cost of comcast or direct TV and get more of what I actually want to watch.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 06:13:34 pm »
With internet live services coming on fast, cable TV is going to go the way of the buggywhip industry.

I wouldn't shed a tear if they all go away.  The big problem I have with cable is this.. Why should I pay for $100 for 50 channels that I don't watch or even thinking of watching for just 1 channel that I want to watch.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 06:17:52 pm »
And as I type this a popup shower between my sat dish and the satellite takes out my signal.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 06:18:01 pm »
Looks like I can combine Amazon Prime, Sling TV and maybe Roku for a fraction of the cost of comcast or direct TV and get more of what I actually want to watch.

Not counting Amazon Prime, Sling TV, and Hulu will cost us $40 per month alone.. That is either on either Amazon Fire Tv or Chromecast.

Offline endicom

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 06:25:17 pm »

Anyone remember minicomputers? That the minicomputer industry was huge and worldwide? From dust to nearly dust in just a few decades.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 06:31:24 pm »
I find this an odd comparison. An entertainment platform and a free two day shipping club.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 12:48:56 am »

What do you use to get the Internet to view them?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 01:00:26 am »

We have big bandwidth for the office and mostly watch Amazon Prime or Netflix.  There is NOTHING to watch on cable TV but we keep it for the mother-in-law.  I'm not sure there is anything we want from TV.  If MIL were not in residence, we would kill the cable.  I don't think we would even subscribe to Hulu. 

I wear Amazon Unlimited Music out when I am in the house or the office.  I love having access to so much music.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 03:31:35 am »
What do you use to get the Internet to view them?

I have comcast internet

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 03:43:46 am »
I find this an odd comparison. An entertainment platform and a free two day shipping club.
With the two day shipping comes access to a pile of movies, series, and original series. There is a lot included besides free shipping, which actually pays for membership around here. I have had better entertainment options with a good internet connection, a 30 dollar kindle fire, and Prime membership than with cable. The only thing I can't get on amazon is local news, and I can use the kindle fire to surf and find that from local websites.

The change is surprising.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2017, 04:16:55 am »
With the two day shipping comes access to a pile of movies, series, and original series. There is a lot included besides free shipping, which actually pays for membership around here. I have had better entertainment options with a good internet connection, a 30 dollar kindle fire, and Prime membership than with cable. The only thing I can't get on amazon is local news, and I can use the kindle fire to surf and find that from local websites.

They offer entertainment, but mostly it is used for shipping costs. The only reason I got it was to optimize my Echo. Most of the movies we want to watch are not on Prime. My kid had to pay 3 clams to watch the 2nd Pirates movie the other day on Amazon. That movie is 4 or 5 years old for crying out loud. Eff Bezos.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 04:28:59 am »

Internet streaming video has really come on strong recently. YouTube has a lot, including news live, or almost live.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2017, 04:39:45 am »

And the ability to support WaPo!
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2017, 04:45:48 am »
And the ability to support WaPo!
I just read their freebies. (I got what I paid for!) When they wanted me to pay, I declined.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2017, 05:00:12 am »
I just read their freebies. (I got what I paid for!) When they wanted me to pay, I declined.

And yet, you're still supporting them (WaPo) through your payments to amazon/bezos.

It's your money.  I can't tell you how to spend it.  But it does sadden me seeing people contributing their hard earned money to a Commie Pinko Bastard.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2017, 05:11:08 am »
And yet, you're still supporting them (WaPo) through your payments to amazon/bezos.

It's your money.  I can't tell you how to spend it.  But it does sadden me seeing people contributing their hard earned money to a Commie Pinko Bastard.
On cable there are:
ABC
CBS
NBC
CNN
VICE
and a host of other networks I don't want to watch or support, full of commie pinko (and homo) bastards.

Guess what? you support them anyway, unless you shut everything off and live under a rock.

Watch a movie? Watch TV?
Support the communists and homosexuals in Hollywood and New York. Pay taxes? Guess what? Same show, different town.

Sorry, there is no way to get out of it, only minimize it.

Wapo goes behind a paywall fast.
I don't pay. It's optional. I'll take that opt out and not pay. I read a few free articles and that, as they say, was that. End of story.

Bottom line is that I got this as a part of a package that saves me money on shipping. I can get products I can't find in NW North Dakota, and have them shipped to my house in two days, free.

I also have access to a huge library of books for free. Some I can download for free. And while I know I can do that from other sites, that little 30 dollar (on sale) kindle fire is a lot easier to lug around than a library or my computer.

C S Lewis

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2017, 05:22:19 am »

Wapo goes behind a paywall fast.
I don't pay. It's optional. I'll take that opt out and not pay. I read a few free articles and that, as they say, was that. End of story.

Yes, you do.  You can put your money in his right pocket via amazon, or his left pocket via WaPo, but you're paying either way.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2017, 05:25:23 am »
Yes, you do.  You can put your money in his right pocket via amazon, or his left pocket via WaPo, but you're paying either way.
I would wager that very little goes to Wapo. They'd get more if I bought a paper (which I won't, we read the Baltimore Sun or the Washington Star when I lived out there, long ago).

You didn't address my other points. Besides, I use up a lot more than 99 dollars worth of shipping in a year.

C S Lewis

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2017, 05:53:21 am »
I would wager that very little goes to Wapo. They'd get more if I bought a paper (which I won't, we read the Baltimore Sun or the Washington Star when I lived out there, long ago).

You didn't address my other points. Besides, I use up a lot more than 99 dollars worth of shipping in a year.

The CEO of amazon owns the WaPo.

If you're sticking it to him on shipping, good for you, keep it up!

But, if it turns out he's a shrewder businessman that you gave him credit for...

As I said, it's your money.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2017, 05:58:23 am »
The CEO of amazon owns the WaPo.

If you're sticking it to him on shipping, good for you, keep it up!

But, if it turns out he's a shrewder businessman that you gave him credit for...

As I said, it's your money.
Like I said

On cable there are:
ABC
CBS
NBC
CNN
VICE
All of Oprah's networks
Lifetime, et fricking cetera. About the only conservative thing on is Beck, because the weather channels keep yabbling on about global warming
and a host of other networks I don't want to watch or support, full of commie pinko (and homo) bastards.

Guess what? you support them anyway, unless you shut everything off and live under a rock.

Watch a movie? Watch TV?
Support the communists and homosexuals in Hollywood and New York. Pay taxes? Guess what? Same show, different town.

Sorry, there is no way to get out of it, only minimize it.
(added text in italics)

I'm sure that there is a liberal who owns a big chunk of the internet, and the companies that connect us to it.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2017, 07:33:01 am »
The only thing I can't get on amazon is local news, and I can use the kindle fire to surf and find that from local websites.

Buy a good digital antenna. Shoot, out there in the flats you can probably pick up everything from KC to Chi-town - Well, that is probably exaggerated but ask around... A hunred bucks will probably get you a bunch of local channels for free after the investment.

Ain't it tho?

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2017, 08:00:23 am »
Buy a good digital antenna. Shoot, out there in the flats you can probably pick up everything from KC to Chi-town - Well, that is probably exaggerated but ask around... A hunred bucks will probably get you a bunch of local channels for free after the investment.

Ain't it tho?
3 stations in close, another 6 or so within a 100 miles (by air). They're all network or PBS. Still, it would likely bring in NBC and SeeBS affiliates and that would get the local snooze. Internet is faster, but it could be done. The curvature of the earth comes into play here... :laugh:

C S Lewis