Author Topic: Most people blow 70% of their money on 3 things — and cutting back could be the key to retiring much earlier  (Read 3267 times)

Offline Night Hides Not

I had a boss in one of my early jobs whenever we were on the road and stopped at hotel for the night he would ask how much for a room, the clerk would say $125.00. He would say I will give you $90.00 or I'm going across the street. 90% of the time they would give it to him for $90.

He would do that for everything even food. Amazingly you would be surprised how often it worked

Embarrased the heck out of me.

@catfish1957

You worked for Donald Trump?   :silly:
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Night Hides Not

You just spurred a memory from long ago. I got divorced and my 30 something ex, started bragging about this new guy she was dating. She said, he's got a boat, and a fancy car, and a beautiful condo, and this, and that, and he golfs every day, and on and on.

I said, That sounds great. Then I asked, How many times has he been married? She said, He's never been married.

LOL, hahaha hahaha, So I said, Well no wonder he has all that stuff. Dummy! He's smarter than me. I could have twice what he has, if I had never married and had kids. But logic doesn't matter to a woman with ga-ga eyes.

I knew right then that she was barking up an empty tree. I knew he would never marry her. And I was right.

Women can be so blind sometimes.

But I must say, in agreement with you, I don't regret anything. I feel that my life had a general path, that I was meant to trod. I veered off the path more than once, but overall I stayed generally on my destination. Call it fate. Call it destiny. Call it the will of God. Whatever it is, I feel that everything I have done was what I, what I was meant to do. Therefore, I cannot have any regrets. How can I? I was just following my path.

Just wanted to clarify that I have no regrets whatsoever over my marriage and 3 children. My life would not be as fulfilling and enjoyable without them, and now there's a grandson who's been the apple of my eye for nearly 7 years.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline rodamala

. . . should be the name of a convenient store, not a federal agency  :silly:

@goodwithagun

I've been to that place... in the mountains of Bailey, Colorado... back in 2013.

The green crosses on the sign basically put it over the top as a true Party City.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Liquor, whores and taxes.

The sooner I stop paying taxes, the better.

My 3... 

(1) High Yield, low risk equities.
(2) Innovative V Cap M Funds that pull <15% growth in an off year.
(3) Hi yield corp bonds AA or better that will pay until I am long gone. 

Yep, its an Ebeenezer obsession.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I had a boss in one of my early jobs whenever we were on the road and stopped at hotel for the night he would ask how much for a room, the clerk would say $125.00. He would say I will give you $90.00 or I'm going across the street. 90% of the time they would give it to him for $90.

He would do that for everything even food. Amazingly you would be surprised how often it worked

Embarrased the heck out of me.

@catfish1957
One of my brothers does exactly the same.

He always bargains and has made himself a very successful self-made career working for himself.

It really works, and I have always told him I would prefer to take a 10% take on what he purchases as my return would likely be 20% or more.  Better than the stock market over the years, and low risk.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington