Author Topic: Most people blow 70% of their money on 3 things — and cutting back could be the key to retiring much earlier  (Read 3266 times)

rangerrebew

Most people blow 70% of their money on 3 things — and cutting back could be the key to retiring much earlier

Lauren Lyons Cole
Business InsiderJuly 10, 2017

(Rule 1: Live below your means.Facebook)

Retirement might seem light-years away, but if you get to your golden years with insufficient funds, it's guaranteed to be even further.

Saving enough over a 40-year career to maintain your lifestyle in retirement is challenging. But there's a lot to be learned from the people who have managed to hit their savings goals well before that point, even if you haven't been bitten by the early-retirement bug.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/most-people-blow-70-money-123700500.html
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 04:38:58 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Polly Ticks

Didn't click through, but at least 70% of my money goes to 5 things ... Son #1, Son #2, Son #3, Son #4, and Son #5.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Didn't click through, but at least 70% of my money goes to 5 things ... Son #1, Son #2, Son #3, Son #4, and Son #5.

My three are booze, tobacco, and women.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Night Hides Not

I'd be a millionaire if I'd never got married and had kids. It was a sobering thought a few years back, when I realized that day care alone for my last child was about $40K over 5 years, meaning it cost $60K in salary, pre-tax.

From that point on, I vowed to never think about personal finances while driving...

OTOH, I don't deal in what-ifs. I stand by the decisions I've made, and tried to learn from my mistakes. I'm staying true to my major goal in life, to grow old without being bitter for mistakes and missed opportunities.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Polly Ticks

I'd be a millionaire if I'd never got married and had kids.

Yeah.  And I wouldn't change it for the world.  Those boys are the apples of my eye and they are priceless.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline mirraflake

No kids but  a huge chunk of our money went to horses and old cars.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I'd be a millionaire if I'd never got married and had kids. It was a sobering thought a few years back, when I realized that day care alone for my last child was about $40K over 5 years, meaning it cost $60K in salary, pre-tax.

You just spurred a memory from long ago. I got divorced and my 30 something ex, started bragging about this new guy she was dating. She said, he's got a boat, and a fancy car, and a beautiful condo, and this, and that, and he golfs every day, and on and on.

I said, That sounds great. Then I asked, How many times has he been married? She said, He's never been married.

LOL, hahaha hahaha, So I said, Well no wonder he has all that stuff. Dummy! He's smarter than me. I could have twice what he has, if I had never married and had kids. But logic doesn't matter to a woman with ga-ga eyes.

I knew right then that she was barking up an empty tree. I knew he would never marry her. And I was right.

Women can be so blind sometimes.

But I must say, in agreement with you, I don't regret anything. I feel that my life had a general path, that I was meant to trod. I veered off the path more than once, but overall I stayed generally on my destination. Call it fate. Call it destiny. Call it the will of God. Whatever it is, I feel that everything I have done was what I, what I was meant to do. Therefore, I cannot have any regrets. How can I? I was just following my path.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 06:56:49 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline SunkenCiv

• This is SunkenCiv.
  • I'm Junger than that now.
    • Gods, Graves, Glyphs (we're new)
I'm trying to rectify two errors I made during my prime: 1) not listening to those close to me who had more experience, and 2) llstening to those close to me who had more experience.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Gods, Graves, Glyphs forum (we're new) Darwin Central (posting as Ned Ludlam) my FR posts, SunkenCiv?, FR topic by nuconvert

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
For those who didn't click through, it's food, transportation and shelter (housing).

The food and transportation ones make sense. Housing, on the other hand, isn't anywhere near as flexible as the author claims. To find a place with a rent/mortgage payment at less than 25% of income only works if you have a solid, reliable and above-median income stream. Otherwise, the only way to achieve that is to move back in with your parents.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline SunkenCiv

• This is SunkenCiv.
  • I'm Junger than that now.
    • Gods, Graves, Glyphs (we're new)
The gall of the idiots in the media -- at the original article, Zuckerberg and Chan are the example married couple?!?
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Gods, Graves, Glyphs forum (we're new) Darwin Central (posting as Ned Ludlam) my FR posts, SunkenCiv?, FR topic by nuconvert

Offline andy58-in-nh

Alcohol, tobacco and firearms.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
key to retiring much earlier

Here is (was) my strategy.  Could have retired at 46, waited till 55 for healthcare.

This is just how it worked for me. Everybody’s situation is different, and should be handled accordingly

1. Priority 1 should be eliminating or reducing debt. I view debt payments by default as negative income.

2. Competitively bid all aspects of your expenses. Get the utmost value down to the penny for everything you buy, or services you secure. Over years and years, you would be surprised how much this adds to your net worth balance sheet.

3. Keep your investment portfolio that is intended toward goals... i.e retirement as an example, in strong conservative investments. When you have those bases covered, then you can look at speculative plays.

4. I invested zero in the dot com era in the 90's. My father gave me the best advise of all in that era.. Why would you ever invest in anything that doesn't make money?  To me that rule still applies today.

5. I have found that the simple rule of putting 100 minus your age in equities worked pretty well for me. Maybe not for everyone, but........

6. Research and analysis. When investing, I tend to get into stocks which I think have good products that I like. Before getting in I research it to death too. A Low P/E is often a good indicator. Furthermore, is there a long term demand for the product.

7. The best time often to invest is when everyone is rushing out the door. This is the toughest part, but finding a price bottom, is golden toward finding long term return.

8. Monitor investments and net worth monthly. Research, evaluate, and adjust as needed.

9. Don't fall in love with a stock/fund/etc. so much that you resist selling when the fruit is ripe. Don't forget that your favorite stock is not a family member.

10. Never forget that a SHTF scenario is always a possibility. Remote, but still there. Have a base amount of investments that will address. Metals, Land, etc.

11. Formulate and adhere to three different budget scenarios... (1) Regular (2) Austerity (3) Emergency.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline mirraflake

2. Competitively bid all aspects of your expenses. Get the utmost value down to the penny for everything you buy, or services you secure. Over years and years, you would be surprised how much this adds to your net worth balance sheet.

I had a boss in one of my early jobs whenever we were on the road and stopped at hotel for the night he would ask how much for a room, the clerk would say $125.00. He would say I will give you $90.00 or I'm going across the street. 90% of the time they would give it to him for $90.

He would do that for everything even food. Amazingly you would be surprised how often it worked

Embarrased the heck out of me.

@catfish1957

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Mountain bikes, backpacking gear and booze...saving for retirement, yes...however...

Not getting out of this alive, might as well live while one is young vs. just existing hoping you live long enough to do all the things folks do when retired and are too old to enjoy adrenaline junky pursuits. :whistle:
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Wingnut

Hookers. Loose women. Boats. Buying.... not leasing two out of those three was my downfall.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 01:39:11 am by Wingnut »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"Most people blow 70% of their money on 3 things"

I spent it on Macs, banjos and Harleys.
But I'm still doin' ok...

Offline rodamala

Liquor, whores and taxes.

The sooner I stop paying taxes, the better.

Offline thackney

No kids but  a huge chunk of our money went to horses and old cars.

Horses and Horsepower?

Child #2 is trying to convince me to upgrade a recent horse.  If successful, it will be our first 5 figure horse.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

For those who didn't click through, it's food, transportation and shelter (housing).

That was my guess, not sure how "blowing" is buying essentials. 

The food and transportation ones make sense. Housing, on the other hand, isn't anywhere near as flexible as the author claims. To find a place with a rent/mortgage payment at less than 25% of income only works if you have a solid, reliable and above-median income stream. Otherwise, the only way to achieve that is to move back in with your parents.

Also some of us purchase property to become its own income stream, eventually.  At least that is the plan I'm selling to the wife...
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Liquor, whores and taxes.

The sooner I stop paying taxes, the better.

If you are in the 35% bracket, how much money must you earn in order to pay for a $300,000 house?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline rodamala

If you are in the 35% bracket, how much money must you earn in order to pay for a $300,000 house?

@Bigun

You would need to earn [edit: AT LEAST] 53.8% more than if your tax burden was zero.  Think about that for a moment.

#InvoluntaryServitude
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 03:55:56 pm by rodamala »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
@Bigun

You would need to earn 53.8% more than if your tax burden was zero.  Think about that for a moment.

#InvoluntaryServitude

I have!  Believe me I have! 
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline rodamala

I have!  Believe me I have!

@Bigun

My previous statement has been edited for clarity.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 03:57:54 pm by rodamala »

Offline mirraflake

Horses and Horsepower?

Child #2 is trying to convince me to upgrade a recent horse.  If successful, it will be our first 5 figure horse.

From when we were dating to now I figure my wife spent close to $500,000 on her horses. Until we bought land she rented 2 stalls at a local stable $800 month for many years, add in what we paid for the land, barn, hay elevator, fencing, tractor and brush hog, vet bills, feed, electric & water, truck and horse trailer, bedding, insurance etc

She goes to horse shows all summer at about $750-1000 per event.

She never complains what I spend on my cars

As for expensive horses our neighbor bought their 14 yr old daughter a 5 figure horse as she was really into jumping but at age 16 she went totally boy crazy and has pretty much forgot about the horses.

@thackney
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 04:07:52 pm by mirraflake »

Offline goodwithagun

Alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

. . . should be the name of a convenient store, not a federal agency  :silly:
I stand with Roosgirl.