Author Topic: Shocking case of indigestion in supermassive black hole  (Read 900 times)

rangerrebew

Shocking case of indigestion in supermassive black hole
« on: July 11, 2017, 12:07:32 pm »
Shocking case of indigestion in supermassive black hole
7/04/2017 11:30:00 AM Email ThisBlogThis!Share to TwitterShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest

Once every couple of hundred million years, the small galaxy NGC 5195 falls into the outer arms of its larger companion, NGC 5194, also known as the Whirlpool galaxy. Both galaxies are locked in a gravitational dance that will result – billions of years in the future – in the formation of a single galaxy.

As NGC 5195 plunges into the Whirlpool, matter streams onto the supermassive black hole at NGC 5195's centre and forms an accretion disc. The disc grows to a point where the supermassive black hole can no longer accrete or 'digest' efficiently and matter is blasted out into the surrounding interstellar medium. Last year, NASA's Chandra X-Ray observatory spotted arcs of X-ray emission that appeared to result from this 'force-feeding.'

Read more at https://archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.com/2017/07/shocking-case-of-indigestion-in.html#7lHxIDadpqLfTvem.99

Offline SunkenCiv

• This is SunkenCiv.
  • I'm Junger than that now.
    • Gods, Graves, Glyphs (we're new)
Re: Shocking case of indigestion in supermassive black hole
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 07:40:32 pm »
Nothin's gonna change my world, nothin's gonna change my world... ;)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Gods, Graves, Glyphs forum (we're new) Darwin Central (posting as Ned Ludlam) my FR posts, SunkenCiv?, FR topic by nuconvert