Author Topic: Therapeutic robots may soon swim within the body. Scientists look to nature for clues about how to build and power these microrobots  (Read 929 times)

rangerrebew

Therapeutic robots may soon swim within the body
Scientists look to nature for clues about how to build and power these microrobots
Lindsey Konkel
Jul 6, 2017 — 7:10 am EST

A computer model shows a robot called a microswimmer boring through plaque, a fatty material that can build up inside someone’s arteries. Too much plaque can block the arteries and lead to a heart attack. These microrobots are barely visible to the human eye — they’re about the size of a speck of dust.

Imagine a microscopic machine that could swim through a person’s blood vessels on its way to delivering medicine to a cancerous tumor. Or one that unclogs an artery to prevent a heart attack, or even performs delicate vision-saving surgery from inside the eye. These feats aren’t possible yet. But researchers are designing miniature robots, called microswimmers, that may soon do all of these things. And more.

https://www.sciencenewsforstudents.org/article/therapeutic-robots-may-soon-swim-within-body
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 11:53:01 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
The 2001 Michael Connelly novel Chasing the Dime involves a startup developing the technology needed to power medical nanobots...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

Nanobots in the body. What could go wrong?
The Republic is lost.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

Yeah. Get a load of those in you and go in for an MRI...

Yeah, that's another thing that ain't gonna happen... At least not anymore.