Author Topic: Why replacing Obamacare is so hard: It’s fundamentally conservative - Craig Garthwaite, Washington Post  (Read 7937 times)

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Working people want affordable health insurance. 

They can pay for it themselves instead of mooching off the rest of us.  Make payment arrangements like the rest of us.

Screw your Communism.

ObamaCare represents the creation of an entitlement for which there is no precedent for dismantling. 

There's plenty of precedent for resisting tyranny and refusing to comply with despotism.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline rodamala

How about affordable HEALTHCARE?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Quote from: Jazzhead on July 14, 2017, 09:30:27 PM

Either way, as long as the government is handling it we will get neither.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

I would say that is a 100% certainty!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
They can pay for it themselves instead of mooching off the rest of us.

There's that Christian spirit! :seeya:
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

There is a difference between government running healthcare FINANCING,  and the government regulating it.  The former is single payer, and perhaps something we may want to avoid.    Sensible, market-centric regulation is the best way to avoid it. 

The GOP bill deserves support not because it uproots an entitlement and stomps it to death, as viscerally satisfying as that may be to those who think only others will be affected by it.   It deserves support because it represents a big step in the direction of better, more market-centric regulation of a complex subject that affects all of us.   You think healthcare financing is easy?    What the GOP bills do is allow a change in philosophy toward consumer choice,  and the concomitant increase in consumer responsibility that comes with it.   It's the latter that liberals simply don't trust the people with.   

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

There's that Christian spirit! :seeya:
He read 2 Thessalonians 3:7-9
For you yourselves know how you ought to follow our example, because we did not act in an undisciplined manner among you, nor did we eat anyone's bread without paying for it, but with labor and hardship we kept working night and day so that we would not be a burden to any of you; not because we do not have the right to this, but in order to offer ourselves as a model for you, so that you would follow our example.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
There is a difference between government running healthcare FINANCING,  and the government regulating it.  The former is single payer, and perhaps something we may want to avoid.    Sensible, market-centric regulation is the best way to avoid it. 

The GOP bill deserves support not because it uproots an entitlement and stomps it to death, as viscerally satisfying as that may be to those who think only others will be affected by it.   It deserves support because it represents a big step in the direction of better, more market-centric regulation of a complex subject that affects all of us.   You think healthcare financing is easy?    What the GOP bills do is allow a change in philosophy toward consumer choice,  and the concomitant increase in consumer responsibility that comes with it.   It's the latter that liberals simply don't trust the people with.

Yep. And, that's why I chose the word "handling".  My statement stands as is.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
  My statement stands as is.

I wasn't attacking your statement.  I was using it as a springboard for my comment.   

It is common enough to refer to "health care reform" when what's being reformed is the system for financing health care.   Policy choices regarding financing will, of course, ultimately affect the quality of health care.   That's a subject I hear far more discussion about on the left than on the right.   

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I wasn't attacking your statement.  I was using it as a springboard for my comment.   

It is common enough to refer to "health care reform" when what's being reformed is the system for financing health care.   Policy choices regarding financing will, of course, ultimately affect the quality of health care.   That's a subject I hear far more discussion about on the left than on the right.

And, I was just pointing out that there was no wiggle-room, or room to spring from in my statement.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
There's that Christian spirit!

What is the Eighth Commandment there Jazzy? 

Unless you want to assert Jesus was okay with it as long as you use government to do it on your behalf.

If you are sooooo moved with compassion to provide healthcare insurance for these 'poor' you are so concerned about - YOU can use your own wealth to provide it for them and thus fulfill your obligation to do charity.

Empowering the state to put guns to our heads to provide it, is breaking the 8th Commandment.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

You can't reform the financing by decree without reforming the actual care. But I have learned a lot about what antibiotics are good for what and where to get them.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis