Author Topic: The Little-Noticed Horror in the Charlie Gard Case  (Read 514 times)

rangerrebew

The Little-Noticed Horror in the Charlie Gard Case
« on: July 08, 2017, 09:21:10 pm »
The Little-Noticed Horror in the Charlie Gard Case

By Michael Brown Published on July 8, 2017
Michael Brown

Charlie Gard’s life will offer him “no benefit” if he lives, according to a member of his hospital’s legal team. If he gets the treatment his parents are seeking — and if it works — it would bring him such “significant harm,” it would be “inhuman to permit that condition to continue.” And that’s why his doctors and the court ruling on his life’s worth want him to die.

As Americans wonder how a court in England has the power to decide whether a baby’s parents can get him medical treatment, and as the President and the Pope have weighed in as well, there’s an aspect to the Charlie Gard case that is getting far too little attention. It is unnerving, it is disturbing, and it must be addressed, since it is part of a larger attitude that is incredibly dangerous.

https://stream.org/the-little-noticed-horror-in-the-charlie-gard-case/
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 09:22:13 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: The Little-Noticed Horror in the Charlie Gard Case
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 10:37:02 pm »
Death Panels. It won't stop with sick infants. Terry Schiavo proved that.
Once that threshold is crossed, it is only a question of when, not if it will expand--and it was crossed with Roe v Wade, in my opinion.
The only difference with  is that the mother gets the deciding vote.

Now imagine the fervor for eugenics when the taxpayer is picking up the tab for everyone's medical care.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 10:38:05 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 02:40:33 am »
Absolutely @Smokin Joe

The family should be able to have some control over this. I think UK is going to give in to the international outcry actually.  I think they will let their judicial process work; and if the court rules against the child, I think they will allow him to go where he can get treatment.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 03:13:03 am »
Absolutely @Smokin Joe

The family should be able to have some control over this. I think UK is going to give in to the international outcry actually.  I think they will let their judicial process work; and if the court rules against the child, I think they will allow him to go where he can get treatment.
My concern is that if they run the clock, that might affect any chances the treatment has at efficacy. Make the outcome even less likely and they will use that as an excuse to not release the next kid, regardless of condition or treatment.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis