Author Topic: Stephen Hawking: Earth Could Turn Into Hothouse Planet Like Venus  (Read 698 times)

Offline kevindavis007

Earth could turn into a hothouse planet like Venus, with boiling oceans and acid rain, if humans don't curb irreversible climate change, physicist Stephen Hawking claimed in a recent interview.

"We are close to the tipping point, where global warming becomes irreversible. Trump's action could push the Earth over the brink, to become like Venus, with a temperature of 250 degrees [Celsius], and raining sulfuric acid," he told BBC News, referring to the president's decision to pull the U.S. out of the Paris climate deal.

But most climate experts say that scenario is a dramatic and implausible exaggeration: Relative to Venus, planet Earth is much farther from the sun and given its chemical makeup will never have such a thick carbon dioxide atmosphere, so it could not likely reach temperatures of 482 degrees Fahrenheit (250 degrees C) that Hawking described in the interview, they say.

Read More: https://www.livescience.com/59693-could-earth-turn-into-venus.html
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline kevindavis007

Re: Stephen Hawking: Earth Could Turn Into Hothouse Planet Like Venus
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 12:43:50 am »
As someone who thinks that Hawk is right about leaving this planet of the human race dies off. That is where my agreement ends. Earth can get hit by an asteroid, a back hole can come close this system, a neutron star can hit this planet, or god knows what could happen..

Who knows, look what happened to Earth in Interstellar.

Hawk needs to retire.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 01:21:09 am »
:facepalm2:

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 04:30:06 am »
Maybe someone has been playing with Hawking's Speak and Spell? Because considering the actual global temperature rise vs. the quickly being disproved data used by climate scientists his statement is rather out there.

Offline SunkenCiv

• This is SunkenCiv.
  • I'm Junger than that now.
    • Gods, Graves, Glyphs (we're new)
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 03:36:27 pm »
No, actually, it can't.  Oh, wait -- the Sun could go supernova.

What a nitwit.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Gods, Graves, Glyphs forum (we're new) Darwin Central (posting as Ned Ludlam) my FR posts, SunkenCiv?, FR topic by nuconvert

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 03:48:55 pm »
It probably will for a relatively short period but a long time from now without our help.

The earth is at the inner 5% of the habitable zone around our sun. As the sun expands or gets hotter, the habitable zone will move outward and our oceans will evaporate and that's when things will get really hot (till the water vapor is broken down into Oxygen and Hydrogen and blows away.

Blame me in a couple billion years.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 03:54:43 pm »
And monkeys COULD fly out of my butt.