Author Topic: These Coloradans say Earth is flat. And gravity’s a hoax. Now, they’re being persecuted.  (Read 4034 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Colorado's government has more serious delusions, but it has been on the road to becoming Californicated in so many other ways, that a few more flakes in the granola aren't really noteworthy.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
meh.

Its an elementary school science fair project (described above) but something you also can observe yourself (and have, you just didn't understand it).
Example, this cruise ship isn't floating nor is the water 'higher' there. The light is refracting. It wouldn't work if the earth was flat. The gentle curve and the thickness of the air make it work like a lens.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
You can actually reproduce this effect yourself if you have a clear, glass lens or even a glass paperweight and something like a big Yoga ball. Tape a penny or something like that on the Yoga ball, then roll the ball away until the penny is just below your line of sight and put the glass paperweight on the top of the ball and look through it. You'll see the penny because the light is bending through the glass.

I saw this demonstration a long time ago, it was pretty cool.

It actually shows, due to the refraction, that there has to be a curve, like a lens, it can't be perfectly flat to appear like this.

I've read that due to the density of the atmosphere of Venus that if you could stand on the surface and look around, it would appear that the land was rising in all directions as if you were at the bottom of a bowl.

Online roamer_1

Its an elementary school science fair project (described above) but something you also can observe yourself (and have, you just didn't understand it).
Example, this cruise ship isn't floating nor is the water 'higher' there. The light is refracting. It wouldn't work if the earth was flat. The gentle curve and the thickness of the air make it work like a lens.

I see distortion due to thicker (moist) air against the water all the time. That doesn't mean I am not seeing what I am seeing. I can see the east shore of Flathead lake from the west shore... some 15-20 miles away. Summer air here is remarkably dry. very low humidity, except a foot or two over the water. Boats in the water look like they are floating in the air. Yet I can get into a boat and travel to the east shore, never losing sight, and never losing aspect.

Now, if it is humid, and I can still see the other shore, it will look wavy, and maybe even distorted. I am less likely to see the other shore in humid conditions, and more likely to see it in dry conditions. If it was indeed refraction, or a lens effect, that should be the other way around, I think.

Offline Suppressed

One of the things that has always bothered me is the fact that I've never seen Alpha Centauri.
I think I just made an addition ...
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
This might be a relatively recent phenomenon. Back when I had a CRT monitor, I clearly remember noticing a slight curvature when viewing Youtube videos of the world. When I look at those same videos now, the images appear to be perfectly flat...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Online roamer_1

This might be a relatively recent phenomenon. Back when I had a CRT monitor, I clearly remember noticing a slight curvature when viewing Youtube videos of the world. When I look at those same videos now, the images appear to be perfectly flat...

A fisheye lens most of the time... I just watched a Mythbusters episode purporting to bust the flat-earthers where the stars went up in a fighter jet or some such to film the earth's curvature... Any idiot can see they're using a fisheye lens!

Meanwhile, Rob Skiba debunks the episode by sending a cam up on a weather balloon - with a 40mm lens IIRC... No curve.

It is idiocy like that that gives flat-earthers fodder.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 08:24:53 pm by roamer_1 »

Oceander

Flat-earthers are amongst that very small group of people who deserve ridicule without mercy. 

Offline kevindavis007

One of the things that has always bothered me is the fact that I've never seen Alpha Centauri.

I would like to see Alpha Centauri, but Earth is still close..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline andy58-in-nh

Flat-earthers are amongst that very small group of people who deserve ridicule without mercy.
I'm sure they would go to the ends of the Earth to disagree with you.

And then, fall off.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Smokin Joe

I'm sure they would go to the ends of the Earth to disagree with you.

And then, fall off.
"I Told You So"

:silly:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I have a FB friend who is a libertarian and gets many flat earther people friending her. I have asked every one how, if the earth is flat, then why is it night some places, day others, and why our seasons change. Never have gotten a single answer.

If you think flat earth is bad, there are those who believe that the sun, moon, planets, and all the stars are actually in the atmosphere and NASA is covering it up.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

I have a FB friend who is a libertarian and gets many flat earther people friending her. I have asked every one how, if the earth is flat, then why is it night some places, day others, and why our seasons change. Never have gotten a single answer.

If you think flat earth is bad, there are those who believe that the sun, moon, planets, and all the stars are actually in the atmosphere and NASA is covering it up.
Oh Hell, that's nothing. There is a whole cult of people running around who believe that driving your car will cause the planet to warm up and the oceans to rise, and that we're all doomed!

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"Flat earthers".
Flat brain waves!

Wingnut

Oh Hell, that's nothing. There is a whole cult of people running around who believe that driving your car will cause the planet to warm up and the oceans to rise, and that we're all doomed!

Say What?!

Offline Mom MD

I know several sets of congregations and brethren in the Messianic community that are totally given over to this doctrine.

To challenge them using science or mere logical observations/explanations is to be accused of calling God and the bible a liar.

Oh well.  A lot of Christians have a desperate need to have some kind of "new truth" that garners a following of acolytes who make their issue....salvational.

Except that in Job, arguably the oldest book in the Bible, the earth is described as an orb.  It appears God isn't scientifically ignorant after all  *****rollingeyes*****
God is still in control

Offline Mom MD

:silly: :silly: :silly:
God is still in control

Offline Mom MD

Colorado's government has more serious delusions, but it has been on the road to becoming Californicated in so many other ways, that a few more flakes in the granola aren't really noteworthy.

Combine that with legalized marijuana and there are a lot of things a mile hi in Colorado.  I don't recognize my state anymore.

:shrug:
God is still in control

Offline Smokin Joe

Combine that with legalized marijuana and there are a lot of things a mile hi in Colorado.  I don't recognize my state anymore.

:shrug:
I worked down near Rifle and Collbran in the early 90s: did a couple of horizontal wells for Oryx. It was a great area west of Glenwood Springs, over to the border, Grand Junction, Rio Blanco, Dry Mesa, and the Grand Mesa, up to Craig and Meeker. Really neat area for a Geologist to go knock around in. Aspen,  unfortunately had a Liberal bent, but the 'little towns had great people and the countryside is beautiful. Too bad the politics have gone Liberal. It's wrecking a really nice state.

C S Lewis

Offline Mom MD

I worked down near Rifle and Collbran in the early 90s: did a couple of horizontal wells for Oryx. It was a great area west of Glenwood Springs, over to the border, Grand Junction, Rio Blanco, Dry Mesa, and the Grand Mesa, up to Craig and Meeker. Really neat area for a Geologist to go knock around in. Aspen,  unfortunately had a Liberal bent, but the 'little towns had great people and the countryside is beautiful. Too bad the politics have gone Liberal. It's wrecking a really nice state.

Yup.  But at least we still have the mountains!
God is still in control

Offline Smokin Joe

I brought a few bits home with me...

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

If it is anything like here (which it is), 10 miles outta town is where you start meeting actual Coloradans.

Offline Smokin Joe

If it is anything like here (which it is), 10 miles outta town is where you start meeting actual Coloradans.
The little towns weren't bad in the west end. (a few hundred folks, tops), and Grand Junction was okay.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 05:35:46 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Silver Pines

“How are we Flat Earthers supposed to explain to our friends the solar eclipse in August?” asked one attendee. The room fell silent. “We’ll have to do more research and get back to you on that.”

*SNORT* :silly:

@Cripplecreek

They're that stupid and I'm supposed to care that they're "persecuted"?

Yeah, not so much.