Author Topic: President Trump Will Grill British Prime Minister Teresa May Over Her Refusal to Help Charlie Gard  (Read 1732 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
President Trump Will Grill British Prime Minister Teresa May Over Her Refusal to Help Charlie Gard
International   Steven Ertelt   Jul 6, 2017   |   9:47AM    London, England

President Donald Trump will grill British Prime Minister Theresa May in a private meeting tomorrow over her refusal to help Charlie Gard. May offered her sympathies to Charlie and his family on Wednesday, she also would not commit to intervening in his case.

Charlie is suffering from a rare disease, and his parents want to take him to the United States for an experimental treatment. His case gained international attention as his parents fought a series of court battles for their son, but ultimately lost. Last week, the European Court of Human Rights ruled against his parents’ appeal to take him to the U.S. A British court also ruled that his life support can be removed against his parents’ wishes.

While President Trump has offered to support Charlie’s Family in their attempt to bring him to the United States for an experimental treatment to combat the rare disease he faces, Prime Minister May has refused to help in any way.

Continued: http://www.lifenews.com/2017/07/06/president-trump-will-grill-british-prime-minister-teresa-may-over-refusal-to-help-charlie-gard/
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 01:43:31 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
This child is Britain's Terry Schiavo.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Wingnut

This child is Britain's Terry Schiavo.

Agreed.  Thump must be doing his Jeb Bush impersonation.  Dumb ass.

Online Right_in_Virginia

How?  The President is trying to save the child's life ... offering to bring him to the US for treatment.    @Wingnut

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 12:08:29 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Online Right_in_Virginia

President Donald Trump will grill British Prime Minister Theresa May

I'm not convinced the President is going to "grill" the PM .... he'll talk about and restate his offer to bring the child to the US.

Wingnut

How?  The President is trying to save the child's life ... offering to bring her to the US for treatment.    @Wingnut

B;ah blah blah.... The Trump cheerleading section can be so tiresome when you try to defend his orange ass on every count.   

Offline Smokin Joe

Not much he can do, really.
He can put some pressure on, but it is a whole 'nother country over there.
He/we can all disapprove, but in the end they have to decide to relent.

While there is no guarantee that the experimental treatment would help, the money is in place to transport and treat the child. We can bring in Ebola patients, but not a baby with a problem, because their government doesn't dare take a chance they are wrong and the child can be successfully treated. At this point, they would lose face.

This is what will eventually happen if the government gets to run health care here. Death Panels.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 01:53:00 am by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

At the least though, this decision should be up to the family and not the court. Of course, this is where we run into problems with socialized medicine and rationing care.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/boris-johnson-tells-italy-that-british-doctors-must-treat-charlie-gard-after-popes-intervention/ar-BBDVfm1

Still trying to understand this article, it doesn't look like Johnson is coming in on the right side.

Wingnut

It is not a "death Panel"  it is a mercy panel.  If anyone would look beyond emotion that is driving this mess they would see that the proposed treatment has never been tried in a patient with the specific mitochondrial defect this baby has. There is absolutely no prospect it would change the damage that has already occurred to his brain and no clear evidence that the therapy would even be able to reverse the damage he has sustained. Lastly, it is not known what this proposed experimental treatment could expose baby Charlie to, or what the potential  risks he may face.

This is a tragic case.  One in which some well-intentioned do-gooders reflexively leapt into and tried to defend the kid. Misguided lot they are.   They unfortunately failed to recognize what this baby needs most.... is end-of-life care. 

Online Right_in_Virginia

B;ah blah blah.... The Trump cheerleading section can be so tiresome when you try to defend his orange ass on every count.

Okay .. you find my support of the President tiresome @Wingnut  I get it .. we all get it.

But how does that answer my question?  You said the President was trying to be another Jeb Bush.  Again, I ask you how is that .... the President is supporting everything available to keep the child alive.

My recollection is that Jeb did the opposite.  Did you make a mistake in your original post?  If so, no biggie.

Thanks.

Wingnut

Okay .. you find my support of the President tiresome @Wingnut  I get it .. we all get it.

But how does that answer my question?  You said the President was trying to be another Jeb Bush.  Again, I ask you how is that .... the President is supporting everything available to keep the child alive.

My recollection is that Jeb did the opposite.  Did you make a mistake in your original post?  If so, no biggie.

Thanks.

The only mistake I made was taking you off ignore after the election. 
Go away Riv.  You bother me with your feeble minded support of the orange god.

Offline Smokin Joe

It is not a "death Panel"  it is a mercy panel.  If anyone would look beyond emotion that is driving this mess they would see that the proposed treatment has never been tried in a patient with the specific mitochondrial defect this baby has. There is absolutely no prospect it would change the damage that has already occurred to his brain and no clear evidence that the therapy would even be able to reverse the damage he has sustained. Lastly, it is not known what this proposed experimental treatment could expose baby Charlie to, or what the potential  risks he may face.

This is a tragic case.  One in which some well-intentioned do-gooders reflexively leapt into and tried to defend the kid. Misguided lot they are.   They unfortunately failed to recognize what this baby needs most.... is end-of-life care.
I'm for letting the parents choose. We know what the result of no treatment will be. Death.
There is no data to show this will help his disease, why? Because no one has tried it. How do you get data? Try it. Just as with any new anti-cancer or other drug, there are trial groups who volunteer to be human lab rats because the outcome otherwise is pretty much a given. Death.

Let the parents, who have raised the money to give the kid a shot, give the kid a shot.

C S Lewis