Author Topic: Latest Fashion Trend: Cowboy Boot Sandals [For the Flip-Flop Haters]  (Read 5442 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Latest Fashion Trend: Cowboy Boot Sandals [For the Flip-Flop Haters]
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2017, 05:56:23 am »
Mom!  Uncle Frank's hopped up on goofballs again!

You really crack me up, dude.

First off, thank you. Secondly, if you are going to drop the coin and go through the trouble of buying cowboy boots they need to look like they came out of a Dwight Yocum video. X to 3X toes. I'm partial to Old Gringo....

Online roamer_1

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2017, 05:57:00 am »

@rodamala
Well that there is encouraging. I have heard that Tony Lama is getting back to their roots with premium line of old skool boots made in the USA...

If you take em in to a shoemaker, ask him if they can be resoled, and whether he could put a full ride heel on em for me will ya? **Not that you'd ever put a riding heel on round-toes, but if Tony is making good boots again, that heel will come apart.

A little piece of my world would go back to normal if I could tug on a pair of Tonys again.

And only 300 bucks?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 05:58:04 am by roamer_1 »

Offline anubias

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2017, 06:01:04 am »
@rodamala
Yeah, I get it, but take em in to a leather guy... A whole lot of that will buff right out, and what won't might look good - a kinda speckled finish that will probably look pretty uniform...
Can't say for sure without they're in my hand, but from the pics, I'd give it a whirl...

And PS: forget the silvertips... they look silly on round toes.

The gouges are up in the stitching too.  Dunno, but looks like a lost cause to me.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2017, 06:05:02 am »
The gouges are up in the stitching too.  Dunno, but looks like a lost cause to me.

@anubias Yeah mebbe... I could fix the stitching if they were here... And soak em wet to swell up the punctures... I am telling ya, I think they might turn out ok... But you need a real shoemaker... Dunno if they still have em elsewhere.

Offline anubias

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2017, 06:12:37 am »
@anubias Yeah mebbe... I could fix the stitching if they were here... And soak em wet to swell up the punctures... I am telling ya, I think they might turn out ok... But you need a real shoemaker... Dunno if they still have em elsewhere.

I haven't seen one around here in years.  I suspect they've all died off by now.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2017, 06:15:00 am »
I haven't seen one around here in years.  I suspect they've all died off by now.

I honest to God can't even imagine cow folk surviving without a leather shop. What do y'all do when your saddles need fixing? 

Offline anubias

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2017, 06:18:43 am »
I honest to God can't even imagine cow folk surviving without a leather shop. What do y'all do when your saddles need fixing?

Well duh.  I didn't think about taking them to a saddle shop.  Years ago we had boot/shoe repair places, but those have all disappeared. 

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2017, 06:19:16 am »

Trade it in on a new one. Cheap leases and no money down does that.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2017, 06:22:09 am »
Well duh.  I didn't think about taking them to a saddle shop.  Years ago we had boot/shoe repair places, but those have all disappeared.

We still have em here. Dunno what I'd do without my leather guy... And saddles and tack here are fixed by the shoemaker. All one thing. Tack and saddle shops just sell new stuff.

Worst case scenario, ship them boots up here and let my guy look at em.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2017, 06:24:55 am »
Trade it in on a new one. Cheap leases and no money down does that.

I've had my saddles most of my life. My main cowboyin saddle has probably been rebuilt twice by now... and that's a real working saddle... Roundups and all.
Can't imagine buying one new. They take way too long to get comfy.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 06:25:15 am by roamer_1 »

Offline rodamala

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2017, 06:32:45 am »
@rodamala
Well that there is encouraging. I have heard that Tony Lama is getting back to their roots with premium line of old skool boots made in the USA...

If you take em in to a shoemaker, ask him if they can be resoled, and whether he could put a full ride heel on em for me will ya? **Not that you'd ever put a riding heel on round-toes, but if Tony is making good boots again, that heel will come apart.

A little piece of my world would go back to normal if I could tug on a pair of Tonys again.

And only 300 bucks?

Bought these because they could be re-soled and re-heeled.

Here... http://www.tonylama.com/footwear/men_collections_shop-handcrafted-usa-styles

Online roamer_1

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2017, 07:00:09 am »
Bought these because they could be re-soled and re-heeled.

Here... http://www.tonylama.com/footwear/men_collections_shop-handcrafted-usa-styles

Weeelll, thank you much... I won't be looking for a while - I just bought a pair of Justins... But I am gonna ask around. I would love to be back in a pair of Tonys. Wore em half my life.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2017, 07:04:34 am »
I've had my saddles most of my life. My main cowboyin saddle has probably been rebuilt twice by now... and that's a real working saddle... Roundups and all.
Can't imagine buying one new. They take way too long to get comfy.

Buicks and Fords are worse. They get crappier the longer they get from new.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2017, 07:19:01 am »
Buicks and Fords are worse. They get crappier the longer they get from new.

Right. Different...
I hate a new saddle.
But then I hate a new car/pickup too...
At least the new vehicle doesn't raise blisters on your nevermind. A new saddle will make your south forty feel like a prairie fire.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2017, 01:02:35 pm »
First of all, I think I'd strangle the kitty.  What's wrong with that cat (chuckling)?  I'm not a cat person, but I've never known a cat to attack a pair of boots!  As for the round toe, glad you like them and they met your criteria, but, I'd have to agree, it looks more like a steel-toed work boot. My hubby wore cowboy boots for years till we moved to Florida and he always opted for the narrower toe. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2017, 01:06:50 pm »
Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2017, 01:24:44 pm »
@anubias

Just the toe.  Accessing database...

Poor Baby Peanut Butter. My dear Holly destroyed my couch and my love seat. I had to reupholster both of them.

@rodamala I hope somehow your boots can be saved. 
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline rodamala

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2017, 02:18:09 pm »
First of all, I think I'd strangle the kitty.  What's wrong with that cat (chuckling)?  I'm not a cat person, but I've never known a cat to attack a pair of boots!  As for the round toe, glad you like them and they met your criteria, but, I'd have to agree, it looks more like a steel-toed work boot. My hubby wore cowboy boots for years till we moved to Florida and he always opted for the narrower toe.

Well, nothing in a store full of 1000's of pairs of cowboy ropers would fit... even if it was the right size and width, my heel would not make the vertical to horizontal transition, even with the boot hooks.  I was looking for a pair of chore boots anyway.  I had to put up my steel-toe Carolina loggers too, btw.  She was going after them, too!

She stays.

Offline rodamala

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2017, 02:40:04 pm »
Anyways... This guy needs a set of these Cowboy Mandals to go with his Romper:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZVCertAHkc

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2017, 02:45:15 pm »
@rodamala  you can always get Sam Losco to buy you a pair of boots. He bought a pair for Barb Lahey.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline libertybele

« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2017, 03:36:36 pm »
Well, nothing in a store full of 1000's of pairs of cowboy ropers would fit... even if it was the right size and width, my heel would not make the vertical to horizontal transition, even with the boot hooks.  I was looking for a pair of chore boots anyway.  I had to put up my steel-toe Carolina loggers too, btw.  She was going after them, too!

She stays.

Of course the cat stays...I wasn't implying otherwise.  I have a dog that I could strangle some days ... he continuously gets into our garbage cans and shreds tissues or paper towels ... and we have to make sure that the cabinet doors that hide the kitchen garbage are latched!  He also learned to open the laundry room door to the garage and then let's himself out through the exterior garage doggie door. If we don't keep it locked, he winds up air conditioning the garage!  Argh!!!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline anubias

« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2017, 06:33:22 pm »
Of course the cat stays...I wasn't implying otherwise.  I have a dog that I could strangle some days ... he continuously gets into our garbage cans and shreds tissues or paper towels ... and we have to make sure that the cabinet doors that hide the kitchen garbage are latched!  He also learned to open the laundry room door to the garage and then let's himself out through the exterior garage doggie door. If we don't keep it locked, he winds up air conditioning the garage!  Argh!!!

I have one of those.  An AKC registered Yorkie that grew up to be a damned mini-schnauzer mix (one of my least favorite breeds.)  Her name is Imelda, Melly for short, because she collects all of our shoes and stows them under the bed behind the built in drawers in the pedestal.  She dragged her bed in there and places the shoes in her bed.  The drawers have to be pulled and the resulting hole crawled into to retrieve the shoes as the bed can't be moved.  If I'm running late, the shoes I need are guaranteed to be under the bed.  If I make the mistake of kicking my house shoes off while sitting at the computer or crawling into bed to read, they're gone in the blink of an eye.  Every time I hear an agonized scream by a family member, I know Melly has struck again.  I hear those wretched screams often.  LOL 

I did try blocking the hole by filling it with styrofoam blocks.  Big mistake.  I came home one day to find the styrofoam shredded to bits in the living room.  It looked like a styrofoam bomb had gone off.  Bed and shoes were back in the hole.  Eventually, I will get around to filling it with wood blocks.  Of note, she puts her bed in there because I disposed of her previous hiding places that were much easier to reach.

I had to install spring-hinges on all the bathroom doors to keep her from getting into the bathroom to unwind the toilet paper and shredding it all over the place.  All trash cans have a mild shock-thingie around them to keep her out of them.

I often have the urge to strangle that dog.  ;)  Her saving grace is that she merely collects shoes as she seems to love them.  She has yet to chew any.

Wingnut

« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2017, 06:57:20 pm »
First off, round toes are boring. Throw them away. Second thing, a shoe repair guy should be able to get on that with a buffer and polish and make a lot of that go away. The boots look evenly damaged so it won't be at odd looking after a polish.

Oh Porterhouse!